What's new

DirectX on Steroids!

If you haven't downloaded the DirectX of August, then you need to immediately!
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-888a-db4abb111405/directx_aug2006_redist.exe
(52.7MB) - DirectX 9.0c (August 2006 Redistributable)

I swear you will experience a speed increase in all your DirectX applications!

Literally, I had 1-2 seconds increase in response times! Just watching the Majora's Mask intro was freaking me out!!!

So yes, even Chankast, Visualboy Advance, an Halo PC had an increase...this is truly amazing!

Maybe this is a preview of DirectX 10?:drool:

I don't know if it's just me but the system clock seems to be going faster...:unsure: then stops every few seconds, then continues.:unsure: (OK it was just me :p)

EDIT: I also got an extra 2 frames on Dolphin making Super Mario Sunshine a bit better. Not much, but something. :)

EDIT2: This practically almost eliminates the slowness in the Mario kart menus!

Last edited:
OP
T

thepreserver

You're specs are about the same as mine so yes, you'll notice the improvement! This DirectX is remarkable, now we know what to expect from Vista. :)

I have never experienced VisualBoy Advance perfectly before, I usually had to rely on NO$GBA.

A.I.

Banned
Theres no side effects are there? I mean this is an official update not a hack or something?

And do i have to delete my old drivers or do i simply download to update?

Last edited:
OP
T

thepreserver

No side effects, and yes it's officially from Microsoft. They release these bimonthly, but they were overdue since June.

You just simply download to update.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
thepreserver said:
If you haven't downloaded the DirectX of August, then you need to immediately!
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-888a-db4abb111405/directx_aug2006_redist.exe
(52.7MB) - DirectX 9.0c (August 2006 Redistributable)

I swear you will experience a speed increase in all your DirectX applications!

Literally, I had 1-2 seconds increase in response times! Just watching the Majora's Mask intro was freaking me out!!!

So yes, even Chankast, Visualboy Advance, an Halo PC had an increase...this is truly amazing!

Maybe this is a preview of DirectX 10?:drool:

A lot of just emulation examples, for a non major release sounds like bullshit to me. There are no reviews about this release in Guru3D and THG or Ananadtech, or even Neowin. I am sorry but I am sure your claims are somehow fake. The only performance boost news are for ATI cards owners with the new Catalyst drivers.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/18/ati_releases_catalyst_6_8/

BTW DirectX 10 will use unified shader structure, so DirectX 10 games performance will have nothing in common to DirectX 9.0c

Last edited:
OP
T

thepreserver

t0rek said:
A lot of just emulation examples, for a non major release sounds like bullshit to me. There are no reviews about this release in Guru3D and THG or Ananadtech, or even Neowin. I am sorry but I am sure your claims are somehow fake. The only performance boost news are for ATI cards owners with the new Catalyst drivers.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/18/ati_releases_catalyst_6_8/

BTW DirectX 10 will use unified shader structure, so DirectX 10 games performance will have nothing in common to DirectX 9.0c
I'm sorry if you don't believe me but I am telling the truth, my DirectX applications are all speedier. My graphic drivers have been the same native drivers and I have never experienced speed like what I just did in the morning.

Myabe there are no reviews because nobody bothered to download the latest DirectX?

And plus, my ATI card is old and not even on Catalyst drivers. They stopped making my card drivers, then I went unnofficial, then stuck with native. Microsoft really did make this DirectX faster.

Last edited:

A.I.

Banned
thepreserver said:
I'm sorry if you don't believe me but I am telling the truth, my DirectX applications are all speedier. My graphic drivers have been the same native drivers and I have never experienced speed like what I just did in the morning.

Myabe there are no reviews because nobody bothered to download the latest DirectX?

And plus, my ATI card is old and not even on Catalyst drivers. They stopped making my card drivers, then I went unnofficial, then stuck with native. Microsoft really did make this DirectX faster.

I totally back Preserver on this. I downloaded it and wow! I could see the difference! PD and GE were running like a dream, usually i get slowdown in PD when there are heaps of enemies on the screen but this time there was none, it was running as smooth as a baby's bottom, though unfourtunately there is still the lag when you switch weapons. And it wasn't my imagination cos i tested it on Mario Kart and yes, there was virtually no slowdown on the menu screen which proves that it really has improved performance! And then I tested it on the Zelda intro which usually sounds really choppy and it was running perfectly, and no the audio wasn't on sync!

As far as I'm concerned, Preserver should get MoTM! This discovery ranks up there with the wheel! I'm so happy! :bouncy:

Last edited:

WhiteX

As far as I'm concerned, Preserver should get MoTM! This discovery ranks up there with the wheel! I'm so happy!

This dload is mandatory for the Zerofrog´s new plugin for PCSX2.

gokuss4

Meh...
It's not really a preview for Vista, since the way DX10 will run will be a bit different, quite different actually. This is just another update for DX9.0c, nothing more.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
gokuss4 said:
It's not really a preview for Vista, since the way DX10 will run will be a bit different, quite different actually. This is just another update for DX9.0c, nothing more.

Indeed

A.I.

Banned
gokuss4 said:

But what an update! People with not a very powerful graphics card (Like me) need all the help they can get. Evey bit helps... And this bit helps heaps! :)

Thundaar

1&OnlY ThUnDeR K1d
Who the hell cares, the fact is that 10 isn't out yet so there is no telling... Let's just deal with what we already have.... And as per-se I downloaded it from the link provided and there are too many WinRAR Archives in it so I just ran the setup. I don't notice too much of a differance but, that may be because my Catalyst Control is set on everything to quality. Yeah though... It is quite a bit smoother not steroid like where it's perfect and it still skips up a little as before but, I'm going to fix my 3D settings.... Thanks for giving us this, it's people like you who help us make advances day by day.....

A.I.

Banned
Thundaar said:
Who the hell cares, the fact is that 10 isn't out yet so there is no telling... Let's just deal with what we already have.... And as per-se I downloaded it from the link provided and there are too many WinRAR Archives in it so I just ran the setup. I don't notice too much of a differance but, that may be because my Catalyst Control is set on everything to quality. Yeah though... It is quite a bit smoother not steroid like where it's perfect and it still skips up a little as before but, I'm going to fix my 3D settings.... Thanks for giving us this, it's people like you who help us make advances day by day.....

Um, I didn't do anything. Thank Preserver. I don't think anything will be perfect until 1.7 comes out.

BTW, I don't know if its just me but moving around in GE is not as smooth as PD is. I don't know if thats a in game bug or not. Hopefully 1.7 will fix this problem but its really spoiling my enjoyment playing GE...