What's new

Direct3D Problem

GamemasterN

I tried to set the graphics plugin to Jabo's D3D6 plugin 1.5 and I get this error: "Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0"

I have a Voodoo3 3000 video card and DX9. (Win98 SE btw) I ran dxdiag and the Direct3D/DirectDraw tests passed. Any suggestions to remedy this? (trying to use this plugin so I can run Perfect Dark)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
GamemasterN said:
I tried to set the graphics plugin to Jabo's D3D6 plugin 1.5 and I get this error: "Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device make sure you have a properly configured 3D graphics card compatible with Direct3D 6.0"

I have a Voodoo3 3000 video card and DX9. (Win98 SE btw) I ran dxdiag and the Direct3D/DirectDraw tests passed. Any suggestions to remedy this? (trying to use this plugin so I can run Perfect Dark)

Voodoo 3s don't support 32 BPP (32 bit color) nor 24 BPP (24 bit color).

You are required to change the Windows desktop from 32 BPP (32 bit color) or 24 BPP (24 bit color) to 16 BPP (16 bit color).

This means you are required to change the desktop color palette mode
to 16 bit color.

I see you don't have Windows XP, but if you have Windows XP,
Windows XP *always* sets the color palette to 32 bit color by default, even when Voodoo 3s don't support 32 BPP with Direct3D.

If you have Windows XP, make sure the desktop is set to 16 bit.

Last edited:
OP
G

GamemasterN

RJARRRPCGP said:
Voodoo 3s don't support 32 BPP (32 bit color) nor 24 BPP (24 bit color).

You are required to change the Windows desktop from 32 BPP (32 bit color) or 24 BPP (24 bit color) to 16 BPP (16 bit color).

This means you are required to change the desktop color palette mode
to 16 bit color.

I see you don't have Windows XP, but if you have Windows XP,
Windows XP *always* sets the color palette to 32 bit color by default, even when Voodoo 3s don't support 32 BPP with Direct3D.

If you have Windows XP, make sure the desktop is set to 16 bit.

Ok I resolved that problem but now I have another. When I try to run a game with one of Jabo's D3D plugins (D3D6 1.5.1 or D3D7 1.40) the game freezes at about the title screen. I tried Perfect Dark with the D3D6 plugin and Rocket Robot on Wheels with the D3D7 plugin. Once again I have DX9 on this PC. Is there any particular settings I should use for the D3D plugins?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
With Perfect Dark, make sure the none of the cheat codes are selected,
then reload Perfect Dark. Sometimes with Perfect Dark, when cheat codes are enabled, Perfect Dark will lock up at the title screen.