What's new

differnece between jabo plugins

the master 123

What is the difference between jabo directx8 and jabo directx6 plugins. Is there any notable compabile difference or performance or is it for older card that can't use some of the directx 8 or higher features. In general which is better for a nvidia geforce 7400 go.

Legend

Don't even touch the directx6 version. The directx8 one is better in almost every single way. And go get Glide64 (and the newest wrapper) to have almost everything you'll need video-wise.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
the Dx6 plugin is for people with graphics cards that don't have Dx8 shaders. if a person with such a card tries to use it with Dx8, they will suffer from graphical issues, such as black landscapes (Zelda OOT) wrong colours (pokemon stadium) and disappearing walls.

OP
T

the master 123

Is that when why when I try to play with direct6 statium 2 the trees were white. They were also white when in direct8 v when I disabled lecacy pipelines. I try to see if the 6 plugin perform better because in the thread you metion to him that he should use direct 6 though my video card is better(I think at least) I though I try to see if there was any difference and it was worst than the 8 plugin but still playable but more graphic glitches and slowdowns than the direct 8 plugin.

squall_leonhart

the trees are white on your card?

ok.. what video drivers are you using, your card is Dx9 Compliant, which also means Dx8 games and plugins are fully compatible with it.

OP
T

the master 123

Only when I use the direct 6 plugin or disable lecacy pipelines in the direct 8 options. other than that it normal.

OP
T

the master 123

lol, what about the direct 6 issue not that it is big cause I have no plan to use it but still what about that in the directx 6 plugin. strangle hardware\plugins issue or glitch? Not that it matter because I use the direct x 8 plugin which doesn't have this(or the other graphically glitches that I haved with the 6 that aren't in 8 even with the clear on per frame post). My forceware verison is 84.05 and drivers is 8.4.0.5(device manger in xp)

Last edited:
OP
T

the master 123

? what does that mean for direct 6 pc games or early. I think my intel card (gma 950 computer use dual graphics) has the same issue I check in a little bit.

chiklit

If the PC games were written for DX6 then they should run relatively well on all DirectX versions after that since they're all backwards compatible (Except for DX10 but that's why there's DX9L.) The difference is that the N64 wasn't meant to run on any version of DirectX so whether any particular game is more or less compatible depends more on how the plugin handles rendering the game than which version of DirectX it's using.

The only time there would be a difference is if the newer version of DirectX introduced a feature that the console itself had, but the older version of DirectX didn't support. In that case the plugin using the newer DirectX version would be more compatible because it can use the new feature to render it more accurately.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

no, this isn't it at all.

its more likely, that the Geforce 7 cards, don't support the methods used in the Dx6 plugin

you can also see the geforce 6 and up cards can't handle the link picture in the item screen. on jabo's dx8

Iconoclast

Jabo's Direct3D 8 is for people who have at least DirectX 8 and want to play most N64 games.

Jabo's Direct3D 6 is for people who play particular games that work better with this plugin, such as Winback Operations and Yoshi's Story, or who do not have at least DirectX 8 on their system.

Direct3D 6 is also more helpfully complex than Direct3D 8 in configuration, combiners, blenders, texture rendering, etc. in areas that Direct3D 8 does not allow configuration for. It also has chances of emulating games faster than Direct3D 8.

Basically, you can't quite say Jabo's Direct3D 8 is better than D3D6. There are several advantages arguing vice versa.

OP
T

the master 123

you can also see the geforce 6 and up cards can't handle the link picture in the item screen. on jabo's dx8
Any plugin that fixes that in fullscreen as I don't have the in windowed with the direct 8 plugin(use cheat to get adult though). Not related but when I use my intel gma950 it has a lot of access problems. I can remove this with enabling framebuffer access however if enable I have to disable it when I use my nvida card because it will cause it to have lower fps and game will run slow(for the fact the it is has it own memory) those anyone know any solution to stop this.

Last edited:
OP
T

the master 123

It dual grahic system setup built in so a just use the nvida with direct 6 my tree were white and it move slow at menus. direct 6 the trees was fine but it move slower at the main screen with framebuffer on but no errors. in battle it was fine though. It appear that my intel card is more idea for zelda oot because it can properly render the link image(menu) at full screen with the direct x 8 and that game doesn't cause access errors. Is there a plugin that work better for zelda oot with a 7 series card.

OP
T

the master 123

How well is it compablity(metion a list later) as I can fix it by use my intel graphic card or not going into full screen.