What's new

Desperate!

karth95

Lord of the Cats
I have windows 2000 SP4, i just reinstalled it, and I don't want to do it again. For some reason, the long file name support is busted. I try to compress a file to the desktop, and it puts it in a file called C:\documents.zip every time. It looks like it hits the space and just stops. This happens in more than just compressing files, but that's the easiest way to demonstrate it. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm rather peeved.

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
GAH... It worked when I had SP2, and SP3. I can't really uninstall SP4, it would cause the world to end and all life to drown in a flood of violence (aka, the wife would kill me) since I'd have to reinstall 2k again, and she needs the machine for classes. Anyone have any idea how to fix support for directorys with spaces in the name?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
It's probably a simple registry switch, sorry but I don't know the answer. Someone should. Try some search engines.

olger112

1 Make a new Win2k CD with SP4 Intergrated, also make it bootable, do a search on google for Tutorials about those then do a completly clean install, this fixed the problem for me once :) never install service packs seperately

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
olger112 said:
1 Make a new Win2k CD with SP4 Intergrated, also make it bootable, do a search on google for Tutorials about those then do a completly clean install, this fixed the problem for me once :) never install service packs seperately
The whole point of service packs is allowing the system to be updated without reinstalling the OS. Even still, I wouldn't recommend SP4 in any situation, I have heard TONS of horror stories. MS really botched that one.
Always make a SP install uninstall-able, that's the best advice I can give. Live and learn. Your one problem is probably easily solvable as I said, just seek and ye shall find.

OP
karth95

karth95

Lord of the Cats
yeah, I've been under the impression that the point of a service pack is to be able to update the whole OS without a reinstall. In any case, I'll keep looking. If Olger112 had the problem before, then it must come up for some people.