What's new

Dead Hd's

Remote

My other IBM drive just gave up on me:plain:, and since I have two broken ones now I might as well send them in and try to get new ones... I know there is a page online where you can check if you still have warranty left, however I'm unable to find it.. and yes, I did google for it..

Any clues on where I can find it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :blush:

Remote

ps. and yes, this used to be a hd in the 120gxp line.. a bit amazed it lasted this long...

Allnatural

Bummer. I lost one of my 60GXP's a while ago, and I mothballed the other assuming it wasn't far behind. I don't care for IBM drives anymore, so I never bothered to check on the warranty.

Anyway, Hitachi bought IBM's HD line, so perhaps this site will help.

OP
Remote

Remote

Yeah, thanks for the head up. Trotterw helped me out and luckily I have a shitload of warranty left so I'm sending them back tomorrow and hopefully I'll get two new ones back..

Sweet...

Except for the fact that I'll never see what was on them again.. :/

blizz

while we're on the topic of hd's

I need to replace my old 12gig Seagate which is slowly giving up on me as a second hd. I've been thinking of picking up a 160GB Maxtor hd (mainly because they're on sale and offer the best value per gig at the moment)

Does anyone have any views on which ones to buy at the moment?

Gorxon

Administrator
I got myself a 160GB Maxtor recently to use in my XBox...turned out to be a bad choice. It is REALLY loud when reading (or writing?), and is thus an annoyance. Martin had same disk too, which also was loud. But then he got a replacement, because the old one broke. His new one turned out not to be loud. So I guess it's not a problem with all Maxtor disks.

Personally I like WD disks. I am sure there are better disks out there, but WD has never given me any trouble really. Besides they're pretty cheap. I have heard Seagate disks are good too, but I haven't tried one myself.

OP
Remote

Remote

I have two hitachi 7k250Gb 8Mb SATA which are fast, hopefully realiable.. Should be among the fastest avalible atm... Could be worth looking into, ordered another one today not that long ago...

Eagle

aka Alshain
How ironic, Ive been looking at hard drives too. I'm looking at the Western Digital 2500JB. Its 250 GB with 8mb cache and 7200 rpm. I want a really big one though cause I'm gonna make a partition that I can create a ghost copy of windows on and I want to use linux so thats at least 5 partitions there. I would get a SATA drive but I dont think my mobo can use it and I cant afford a whole new PC just now.

Allnatural

Gorxon said:
Personally I like WD disks. I am sure there are better disks out there, but WD has never given me any trouble really. Besides they're pretty cheap.
Agreed. I've had problems with Maxtor and IBM drives, but WD's have always been reliable.

Gorxon

Administrator
Allnatural said:
Agreed. I've had problems with Maxtor and IBM drives, but WD's have always been reliable.

Well, IBM is an obvious one. I mean, they stopped making HD's because they sucked so much IIRC... :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
rofl, wow 4 posts. I dont know how that happened, I only hit submit once. Very wierd.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Gorxon said:
Well, IBM is an obvious one. I mean, they stopped making HD's because they sucked so much IIRC... :)

Well I've only had one IBM and it wasnt that bad. It actually still works, its an old 2 gig drive.

Trotterwatch

t0rek said:
Again, please, you are mods, this should be at Tech Talk IMHO
Again? This was your first post....

And yes this will be moved by someone soon, as is it's hardly going to cause the sky to collapse is it. So chill out.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
I recently bought a Western Digital WD1600JB, 160Gb, 8Mb cache, 7200rpm. I'm amazed how quiet it is (as compared to my old IBM 14GB GXP, which i had to disconnect due to it's horrible noise). I have nothing but a good feeling about. About reliability i really can't tell yet - i've had it only for a month.

Eagle

aka Alshain
t0rek said:
Again, please, you are mods, this should be at Tech Talk IMHO

We have no control here, its all just an illusion designed to frighten noobs into behaving.

smcd

blizz said:
while we're on the topic of hd's

I need to replace my old 12gig Seagate which is slowly giving up on me as a second hd. I've been thinking of picking up a 160GB Maxtor hd (mainly because they're on sale and offer the best value per gig at the moment)

Does anyone have any views on which ones to buy at the moment?

I bought a maxtor 160GB drive and it's quite nice. No problems as of yet (aside from it only having 9GB of free space ;))

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Trotterwatch said:
Again? This was your first post....

And yes this will be moved by someone soon, as is it's hardly going to cause the sky to collapse is it. So chill out.

My intention was to say that this was the second thread that should be here... Well, now is where it belongs... Tech Talk exists for threads of this kind, and the sky is not going to collapse, is only that it gives bad example for new comers...