What's new

cpu

the master 123

I have 2 question on cpu. I know that the cpu is the most important item in 64 emulation but how much importance is a gpu in higher setting like aa and other related setting. Does it make much of a difference. 2nd question is game like perfect dark, goldeneye and other "high system requirement" games would a intel dual core t2400 bottleneck the games at higher setting. I know that this processor is much more powerful than a Pentium 4 at 1.5ghz but what would be the difference in performance at default and higher settings.

Toasty

Sony battery
Most modern CPUs shouldn't have any trouble, even with games like Golden Eye. My old 1.6GHz Pentium 4 did just fine with Golden Eye, and the Core 2's, Athlons and Semprons all use much more efficient architectures than Pentium 4, so their efficiency per clock cycle is greater. As for the graphics card question, someone else will have to answer that. :)

Toasty

Sony battery
Just a Core Duo, not a Core 2 Duo? That should still be fine. I've heard they're a bit slower per clock than the Core 2's, but they're still much more efficient than the Netburst architecture CPUs (Pentium 4, Pentium D, Pentium EE, most Celerons and Xeons).

OP
T

the master 123

I did a little research and the difference varies. However though the performance will varies my processor is rating higher than a 1.6ghz(dual core 2_ on one site with the except off one benchmarks my processor was more powerful or in 1 case a little slower than it. I know that in 7-zip and vba is more powerful than a celeron d 356(3.3 ghz, 512 kb, 533mhz bus). In 7-zip the benchmark for it was 1414 and my parent is able 950 with single thread, in mt it was 2604-2650. In vba my parent was 700% at the emerald startup menu(continue, new game...) my was 750% under same settings. As for my orginial question would the performance difference be there under higher setting(aa higher resolutions,...) or will there be slowdown at somewhere in the games.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
when applying settings like AA and filtering and hi resolutions - ITS THE GPU THAT MATTERS

if using no filtering or smoothing tech's then only the cpu counts.

for instance

on my other system i have a Ti4800se with my old Athlon 2000
when using filterng in VBA 1.7.2 with triple buffering enabled, it causes the entire emulation to slow down and lag (even controller lag)

the athlon 2000 on my 5900xt does not have this issue

this is due to the different bandwidths of each cards memory controllers (the 5900xt has 26.6gbs due to its 256bit bus when running at 850mhz, where as the ti4800se has only like 11gbs with its 128bit controller at 600mhz)

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
basically anything higher then a 5600 should be enough to play at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 16xAF (i can even run at 12xS AA and 16xAF when not using texture packs on jabo 1.7 or Rice Video) with my FX59XT

the issue though falls upon the memory bandwidth available to that GoGPU

the specs on that chip are

Specifications

• performance class: 4
  • series: GeForce Go 7000
  • codename: G72M
  • pipeline: 4 pixel-pipelines and 3 vertex-pipelines
  • clock: chip: 450 MHz, memory: 450 MHz
  • memory: DDR-3, maximaler Ausbau: 128 MB, bus: 64/32Bit, Turbocache
  • directX: 9c, Shader Model 3.0
  • features: PureVideo
  • application area: small and light-weight notebooks
  • other infos: 90nm, 112 Mio Transistoren, PCI-E

Benchmarks

Here you find a list with approximative benchmark values, which can be achieved with this video card. The values can strongly deviate due to different hardware (processor, memory).
  • 3DMark01: 12700 points
  • 3DMark03: 4360 points
  • 3DMark05: 1900 points
  • 3DMark06: 800 points
my FX card pulls 4300 at stock clocks and between 4800-5200 overclocked, so i see no reason why you won't be able to play at 1280x1024 @ 4xAA with 16xAF

i do believe those memory clocks are before the DDR multiplier so its should be effectively 900mhz

the bandwidth on that card is roughly around 13GB/s (where as mine is 26.6 due having a 256bit memory bus)

but 13gb should be plenty for 4xAA+16xAF as i have a Ti4800se running at 4xAA+8xAF and that only has a memory bandwidth of around 8gb/s (600mhz/128bit)

Last edited: