What's new

Controller Picture for Input Plugin

Jabo

Emulator Developer
EmuNoviceUser said:
Pardon my ignorance, but how does this work? Every controller looks different. Some have all buttons on the front. Some have the trigger buttons on the top and others have them on the back. Some have an extra shift key and some do not. Some have analog sticks and some do not.

I can give this a try, but I'm trying to understand if this is one image that will be used for any controller even though they are different or multiple images that load depending on the controller.

Isn't work sacred anymore? Some people want every good or great project to become opensource so that it can be modified for different purposes.

Opensource has its downsides as well including PJ64 spinoffs that sometimes end up unstable trash which newbs who learn about this program from a location other than right here might not realize was not an official release. The modofied version crashed their system and when thye find this place they come to complain.

I've seen it dozens of times for other projects and products.

It's the N64 controller that people want, NOT the one on your USB port :p

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
EmuNoviceUser said:
I can give this a try, but I'm trying to understand if this is one image that will be used for any controller even though they are different or multiple images that load depending on the controller.
Jabo said:
It's the N64 controller that people want, NOT the one on your USB port :p
How about this? (but whatever size is needed, of course, and possibly with button labels and different shading)

Last edited:
OP
Jabo

Jabo

Emulator Developer
EmuNoviceUser said:
How about this? (but whatever size is needed, of course, and possibly with button labels and different shading)

Honestly it's a pretty darn good start, the buttons could probably use slightly more detail (like I believe it says A,B on the real thing...) also the C directions need arrows... not a particularly big fan of purple hehe :)

It's a good start tho, I think if you threw in a two-tone grey shading instead of white as well it would look pretty damn good.. that was the default n64 controller color, the size seems about just right too

I'm not artistic expert but I think these are good suggestions to "up the ante" on making it nicer, as well as make me feel comfortable

Also if anyone else would like to contribute please feel free...

Last edited:

64fanatic

I put it in its traditional colors, hope you don't mind=]

Heres edited:

n64control24kb.gif

n64control35cz.gif

Last edited:

Clements

64fanatic said:
I put it in its traditional colors, hope you don't mind=]

Heres edited:

n64control24kb.gif

How about this, with the colours of the C-arrows and buttons tweaked slightly:

Last edited:

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
Jabo said:
Honestly it's a pretty darn good start, the buttons could probably use slightly more detail (like I believe it says A,B on the real thing...) also the C directions need arrows... not a particularly big fan of purple hehe :)

It's a good start tho, I think if you threw in a two-tone grey shading instead of white as well it would look pretty damn good.. that was the default n64 controller color, the size seems about just right too

I'm not artistic expert but I think these are good suggestions to "up the ante" on making it nicer, as well as make me feel comfortable

Also if anyone else would like to contribute please feel free...
It was never intended to be the final product, but there was no point in adding any detail if you did not care for the basic design. I was not going for perfect realism otherwise I would have continued the circle from the outer edges into the middle handle among other small details, and of course your suggestions are welcome since it is being created for you.

I tried a few gradient and bending shades over the entire controller face for a more 3D feel, but with the image being as wide as it was, I could see the color changes too easily which made it look worse than a single shade. Also, something I try to consider when creating graphics is people who are color blind. Some of my blending attempts would have been a color blind person's nightmare. I may try again, though if the plain face is simply too little. The triggers were purple to make them stand out like the rest of the buttons. No big deal making them a more standard color.

Anyway, here's my second attempt. I'm not sure why I made the "C" black. White will work too if you prefer it. The rest of the letters need to be white to easily be seen.

(Oh yea, I don't mind if others care to try and edit these. I'm no professional who looks at doing so as slander so long as it is done in good taste, and it is not as if anyone here would be trying to pass it off as your own work.)

Last edited:

Rapidgorgon

Is a vector version needed of the controler? (So you can scale it just as you like)
I'm working on an SVG version right now and I'll post it here as soon as I'm ready. Unless you don't need it off course.

EDIT:
Here's my version off the controller. (It's not finished yet, I still need to find out how to define a curve. :p)
Controller

Last edited:

64fanatic

Okay, I made one of My Own, with my detailed layout(with an arrow for the Z button :p)

buttons23bm.gif

edit: omg i'm retarded i labeled L and R too lol, one sec.

edit edit:

k here:
buttons36le.gif

Last edited:

Rapidgorgon

Here's my final version (for now). If anyone want to make any suggestions or use it in his/her own project; do as you like.

Controller
PS: Download the file and open with Firefox 1.5, Adobe's SVG viewer, The GIMP,...

OP
Jabo

Jabo

Emulator Developer
EmuNoviceUser said:
It was never intended to be the final product, but there was no point in adding any detail if you did not care for the basic design. I was not going for perfect realism otherwise I would have continued the circle from the outer edges into the middle handle among other small details, and of course your suggestions are welcome since it is being created for you.

I tried a few gradient and bending shades over the entire controller face for a more 3D feel, but with the image being as wide as it was, I could see the color changes too easily which made it look worse than a single shade. Also, something I try to consider when creating graphics is people who are color blind. Some of my blending attempts would have been a color blind person's nightmare. I may try again, though if the plain face is simply too little. The triggers were purple to make them stand out like the rest of the buttons. No big deal making them a more standard color.

Anyway, here's my second attempt. I'm not sure why I made the "C" black. White will work too if you prefer it. The rest of the letters need to be white to easily be seen.

(Oh yea, I don't mind if others care to try and edit these. I'm no professional who looks at doing so as slander so long as it is done in good taste, and it is not as if anyone here would be trying to pass it off as your own work.)

Definitely on it's way toward something I can use, nice job! A little more shading (either flat shading or real up to you..)

Last edited:
OP
Jabo

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Rapidgorgon said:
Here's my final version (for now). If anyone want to make any suggestions or use it in his/her own project; do as you like.

Controller
PS: Download the file and open with Firefox 1.5, Adobe's SVG viewer, The GIMP,...

I am not really as savvy with all these programs (altho I do have ff).. can you export it?

I don't know what was up with them controllers but why waste time when u can get a ready made one?

That definitely looks like what I want, but I'd like a higher resolution copy just in case I needed one that's bigger later (right now that's the size I actually need tho)

Also one without the lines and such, not to mention it's extremely grainy.

Last edited:

Rapidgorgon

I made a little pack including a .SVG, .PNG, .JPG and a .GIF . It's based on a picture poster earlier here, maybe you'll notice. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Rapidgorgon

nevinsb said:
This thread has been completely de-railed.
I agree, can a mod put the posts related to the controller designing in another thread?
Something like "PJ64 v1.7: controller designs"?

Blacklord

Banned
Couldn't find a higher graph pic so used actual photo. Jpeg too big so had to make it a zip.

Last edited:

nevinsb

Someone needs to make an animated 3d controler. When you push the putton to program it, it is depressed, and you when you are programing the Z/L/R buttons, the controler would rotate to another angle. Completely a lot of work, and not realy useful, but talk about the eye candy!

Also, you could do different colors.