What's new

Connecting consoles to system via...

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Wondering if it's possible to connect consoles to the pc so that you can run them windowed within... windows.

I've heard of VGA boxes but they take over the entire monitor... I just want to connect the console and display the output using a tool or program (if one exists) on my desktop.

... sounds impossible. Is it?!

I've heard magazines do it for screenshots...

Allnatural

Any video or TV card with a video in jack should get the job done, though I don't know if it's possible to play in a window. I've never tried myself.

Quvack

I've done this with my tv tuner card a few times to capture videos and such, can play in a window or full screen depending on your software and such :)

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I find DScaler really good. Makes everything look as good as it can on my crummy tvcard, haha.
- Modem

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
I'm using a standard MSI Starforce 5900 Ultra. It has some port on the back that i don't recognise, but I don't know about video in etc. Think it'll have one?

Allnatural

Xade said:
I'm using a standard MSI Starforce 5900 Ultra. It has some port on the back that i don't recognise, but I don't know about video in etc. Think it'll have one?
No documentation? The only 5900 Ultra that MSI lists on its site says VIVO is supported.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Wellll the box is in the loft. I'll check through it anyway, it's about the size of a briefcase anyway... needless.

If I can connect video through my graphics card, then doubtless I can just use dscaler and put the thing on screen in a window, right?

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Xade said:

It's most likely a DVI port for connecting a digital monitor (like modern LCD displays).

Does it look like this?

dscn0492.jpg

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Qun Mang said:
It's most likely a DVI port for connecting a digital monitor (like modern LCD displays).

Does it look like this?

dscn0492.jpg

Arrrrrgggh it does.

No that screws everything!!!

I guess I'll have to just make do with an XGA box and my monitor, bypassing the base entirely :(

That's the only port on the actual rear of the graphics card, which sucks massively (barring the standard monitor vga output).

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
But a TV tuner would have the relevant input like s-video, right?

I presume also that there was once an s-video lead for the 64...

Allnatural

Xade said:
But a TV tuner would have the relevant input like s-video, right?

I presume also that there was once an s-video lead for the 64...
My TV card has a composite input. I don't know of any models with s-video in, but they may exist. Since most (all?) consoles ship with composite connections, hook-up should be a snap.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
My old TV card (TView) does. I can hook my PS2 or Gamecube right up to it, and run it through DScaler. Looks great too, so I can only imagine how good it would look with a good tv card. All you have to do is check out the specs of any tv card you see, and if it mentions S-Video in, then go for it. Composite works well too, mind you, it just doesn't look as well. I'll post a screenshot in a minute to show you. Just gotta... hook... it... up... :)
- Modem

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
After fidling with my S-Video cable (the pins got bent somehow), I was able to take a couple screenshots. They're a bit blurry, but as I said, I have a el-cheapo tv card. But I find it just fine for anything I want to play. :)
- Modem

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Hell yes, that's exactly what I want to see!

If you want to play console games legitimately and flawlessly on the PC, looks like that's the best option.

I'l investigate, thanks for the shots... they're rather persuasive.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
The games do honesly look even better than that. Unfortunatly, there's really no screen shot feature to take full screen shots, it's just pasts them at that quality. The real stuff looks better. :)
- Modem