What's new

computer won't turn on

mesman00

What's that...?
well my computer just won't turn on now. it was running the other day for like two minutes and i went away for a while, and when i came back it was off. i tried to turn it back on, but i keep hitting the power button and nothing happnes. The LEDS on the mobo are still lit, but maybe that's becuase there batter powered? Also i tried the simplest solution and changed the power cable but that didn't work. It looks like maybe my power supply died? However, it's only a year old, isn't that kind of a short life? Does anyone have any suggestions?

p.s. i have a 400 w power supply if that matters.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
mesman00 said:
well my computer just won't turn on now. it was running the other day for like two minutes and i went away for a while, and when i came back it was off. i tried to turn it back on, but i keep hitting the power button and nothing happnes. The LEDS on the mobo are still lit, but maybe that's becuase there batter powered? Also i tried the simplest solution and changed the power cable but that didn't work. It looks like maybe my power supply died? However, it's only a year old, isn't that kind of a short life? Does anyone have any suggestions?

p.s. i have a 400 w power supply if that matters.

The heatsink may have came loose while you were gone.

Stezo2k

S-2K
mesman00 said:
It looks like maybe my power supply died? However, it's only a year old, isn't that kind of a short life? Does anyone have any suggestions?

i had exactly the same problem a few months ago, my psu was only 1 year old too, and that was the problem, it overheated, with a very nasty electronic smell. If it smells when you switch it on, it probably is your PSU

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
the lights on the MOBO are still on you say? THen your PSU might be okay, this is what I tried after swaping to a new PSU and got the same problem. Unplug the PC from the wall/surge protector, let it sit for oh, 5 minutes, then plugin it baCK IN, and see if that works, sounds odd but it works, sometimes I think theres just a charge built up in the cord that doesnt let the PC turn on, its worked for me, and a couple of my friends, hope it works for you.

deesse

J'aime ce que tu es
it's time to buy another one ;)

i'm kidding, i never had this problem, except to turn off, we bought a very cheap comp.

people told me that Celeron isn't a good thing :ermm:

Stezo2k

S-2K
deesse said:
people told me that Celeron isn't a good thing :ermm:

They are ok, the latest ones are budget versions of the pentium 4, which don't quite meet the p4 specification, they are still pretty good though. If your system is over 2GHz, then you should be ok for PC gaming.

If you were to upgrade i'd highly recommend an Athlon XP barton 2500+ if you wanted to stay on 32 bit system.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
yo, look at my 'A7N8X-E bitch' thread a couple down, try a different motherboard with all the same components, or try booting the mobo with NOTHING IN IT (make sure a case speaker is plugged in). this should cause it to beep like fuck, then try testing each component (you'll need doubles)

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Ok, it's the most obvious one but most people miss it. Make sure that the voltage setting is right on the back of your PSU. I believe it's 115V for USA and 230V (? or something like that) for Europe and I guess everywhere else. That could be your problem.