What's new

computer startup problems

Ruthless_Edge

owns a dollar-can buy your ass
Hi I have a computer thats having problems. for some reason, the computer wont startup. when i power it on, all i get is the green led light but nothing appears on the display. usually theres the flashing red light showing hard drive activity butnothing now either. when its turned on i have to power on the monitor only to see a message on the monitor that says nothing it has no input. so it knows its plugged in,but its not recieving signal from the pc. and yes theres only one video output on it.

anyways, its a p4p800-e asus motherboard. it has something called vocalpost which basically tells you through the speakers the error. i took out the processor thinking that was the problem or the bios but when i do, it says no cpu installed. so i put it back in but then it sits back at nothing.

so can anyone help me try to troubleshoot and resolve the problem? the bios is supposed to verbally tell me anything thats wrong with the pc, whether it be malfunctioning graphics card, memory, etc.....

oh and as for the hard drive i unplugged it too

i would assume that it would at least boot into the bios display on the screen.

any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

gokuss4

Meh...
How old is your graphics card? Have you tried putting another graphics card in? Have you tried switching the plugs (if you use DVI, and the card has 2 DVI outputs, try the other plug). Oh, which leads to me to.. is the monitor set to the right video input? (if it's one of those monitors).

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
It doesn't matter if the monitor is set to the right video input. The thing is not booting and not even posting. I recommend you to try to start it with all basic stuff to see if posts (no HDD, DVD drives or else). Then try with only one stick of RAM, one by one, but only one at once. And as gokuss4 said, try testing with another videocard. If nothing of this works I guess your mobo/cpu is fried

OP
R

Ruthless_Edge

owns a dollar-can buy your ass
hey guys, thanks for all your replies. sorry to say though but ive fixed the problem

as it turns out the owner of the computer admitted that he was hearing loud noises from the fan on the computer and hit it a couple times on its side. im thinking what happened was that he mustve hit it hard or whatever cuz the cpu fan wasnt attached right one of the clips broke off, which in turn, im guessing caused the computer to overheat, which also made the graphics card overheat, because it killed the gpu!

so, went and bought a new card, and a new cpu fan. everythings working now :) thanks a bunch guys and sorry i didnt get back sooner. looking into other things now for xmas lol. :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
...Clever guy, to bank a computer in the side because it's noisy. That usually speaks louds of someone's intelligence *cough*