What's new

Chankast Help! Please help...

demon_diary

Okay. Well i downloaded a dreamcast game (Psychic Force) , its .cdi format and its 469 megabytes big. I have chankast 2.5 and all the nessecary bios and bins. I have daemon tools V3.46..

Basically i right click daemon tools; virtual cd/dvd-rom; set number of drives to 1; and mount the psychic force.cdi.

Then i go into chankast, configure to the drive (F:)

Then go Run; Start.

If i have done everything correctly then WHY does this happen.

http://www.immortaleclipse.com/oath/Chankast_problem01.jpg

It seems to believe that my game is a music cd, and not an actual game

Just WHAT am i doing wrong here? and how do i go about getting it to work..

Thanks

Adam

WhiteX

You must make the game bootable.
There is a thread..."make your homebrew games bootable" Go there!

OP
D

demon_diary

WhiteX said:
You must make the game bootable.
There is a thread..."make your homebrew games bootable" Go there!

Great. Now im even more confused.

Not only are some of the links broken, but i couldnt understand half the stuff that was said. You have to understand that not all of us are computer friendly.. All i ask is for some guidance.

So if anyone would care to walk me through it for a computer dummy then please. please, do.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
demon_diary said:
Great. Now im even more confused.

Not only are some of the links broken, but i couldnt understand half the stuff that was said. You have to understand that not all of us are computer friendly.. All i ask is for some guidance.

So if anyone would care to walk me through it for a computer dummy then please. please, do.
Use the utopia boot disk to make the game work. If you don't know what it is or how to use it use google to find out.

Last edited:

JKidd

ive tried utopia with Toukon Retsuden4 and it brings me to a screen with japanesse writing then i press somthing it goes back to the bios screen.

morpheusx

Dc images showing up as an audio track

PsyMan said:
Use the utopia boot disk to make the game work. If you don't know what it is or how to use it use google to find out.

demon_diary,your game is already bootable,windows sees Dc games as tracks,that's just the way it is,does'nt mean there anything wrong with that image,all my Dc games that i mout that are selfbootable,show up as a audio track only a few kb big,so don't worry about converting your image just yet,if you mout a Dc game image and you see files, "1st_read.bin" ect... you have a none bootable image that needs to be ran through a self boot kit so it can be made bootable or if your lazy,just mout the utopia 1.2 boot disk like i do from time to time,don't have to worry about messing with kits so much,i fire up my boot disk b/c i have over 160 plus Dc backups,i reallt don't feel like runing then though a selfboot kit,1 or 2 a week is good. :happy:

The only thing with the utopia boot disc is that i haven't"notice i did'nt say"you can't" like some people do as if they are an authority on chanaka"can't figure out how to make a game boot with the utopia boot disc loaded with the deer spinning,i mean i switch drives within chankast,does'nt load the non bottable game,i even switched the virtual drives with the utopia boot disc and the game,i watch the game load in the same virtual drive as the boot disc was when it was loaded,does'nt work!!,pressing the start button does'nt start the none bootable game to load either,pressing reset tab in chanaka will only crash it,so that's useless,the only way i know how to use it,i use my cd rom drive to play my unbootable Dc backups,load the utopia boot disc in my cd-r/dvd rom drive,choose the E: drive in chanka,then wait for the deer to start spinning,then take out my utopia boot disc,insert my none bootable game and walla,the game boots up!! :icecream:

I also have a small tip far as when you try and play the game,chanka goes to the screen where "the Dreamcast cd is spinning" you might want to try a fresh bios,when chanaka launches,it changes the bios,if your having problems,change the bios by downloading another one from somwhere esle,that would be the last resort though,if everything and anything has failed,i read many post of people saying that their bios must be corrupt,i disagree,it's just a setting that has to be changed,like the "i\o control error"for instance,all you have to do is turn on the cdrom plug-in,don't leave it at xxx change it to the plug-in provided or it'll give you that i\o error everytime,driving you------> :crazy:

OP
D

demon_diary

oooh no... I AM SO CONFUSED!!

One person is telling me the game is bootable while the other says its not. Hell i dont even know what bootable means!!!

All i want to know is how do i get my stupid psychic force.cdi to play in my chankast emulator..

morpheusx said:
demon_diary,your game is already bootable,windows sees Dc games as tracks,that's just the way it is,does'nt mean there anything wrong with that image,all my Dc games that i mout that are selfbootable,show up as a audio track only a few kb big,so don't worry about converting your image just yet,if you mout a Dc game image and you see files, "1st_read.bin" ect... you have a none bootable image that needs to be ran through a self boot kit so it can be made bootable or if your lazy,just mout the utopia 1.2 boot disk like i do from time to time,don't have to worry about messing with kits so much,i fire up my boot disk b/c i have over 160 plus Dc backups,i reallt don't feel like runing then though a selfboot kit,1 or 2 a week is good. :happy:

The only thing with the utopia boot disc is that i haven't"notice i did'nt say"you can't" like some people do as if they are an authority on chanaka"can't figure out how to make a game boot with the utopia boot disc loaded with the deer spinning,i mean i switch drives within chankast,does'nt load the non bottable game,i even switched the virtual drives with the utopia boot disc and the game,i watch the game load in the same virtual drive as the boot disc was when it was loaded,does'nt work!!,pressing the start button does'nt start the none bootable game to load either,pressing reset tab in chanaka will only crash it,so that's useless,the only way i know how to use it,i use my cd rom drive to play my unbootable Dc backups,load the utopia boot disc in my cd-r/dvd rom drive,choose the E: drive in chanka,then wait for the deer to start spinning,then take out my utopia boot disc,insert my none bootable game and walla,the game boots up!! :icecream:

I also have a small tip far as when you try and play the game,chanka goes to the screen where "the Dreamcast cd is spinning" you might want to try a fresh bios,when chanaka launches,it changes the bios,if your having problems,change the bios by downloading another one from somwhere esle,that would be the last resort though,if everything and anything has failed,i read many post of people saying that their bios must be corrupt,i disagree,it's just a setting that has to be changed,like the "i\o control error"for instance,all you have to do is turn on the cdrom plug-in,don't leave it at xxx change it to the plug-in provided or it'll give you that i\o error everytime,driving you------> :crazy:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
demon_diary said:
oooh no... I AM SO CONFUSED!!

One person is telling me the game is bootable while the other says its not. Hell i dont even know what bootable means!!!

All i want to know is how do i get my stupid psychic force.cdi to play in my chankast emulator..
Well, the game is probably not selfbootable. If you're running windows 2000 it may be selfbootable. Try the Utopia boot disk and if it doesn't work tell us your PC specs.

PS: morpheusx, before posting a reply make sure that you've read the whole post, opened all the attached/linked files and saw all the attached/linked images.

Last edited:

lucindrea

ok quick and dirty self boot

get fastboot ( look at the sticky chanast tools thread )
mount your non booatable image
goto disk you have mounted and copy everything to data dir ( fastboot makes a data dir when you unzip it )
copy 1st_read.bin and ip.bin to the fastboot dir
run the binhack.exe
type:
IP.BIN
1ST_READ.BIN
copy the new ip.bin and 1st_read.bin the data dir ( yes overwrite )
run b2b_game

wait
mount image.cdi and see if it worked

of note , if you have a bootable game ( cant allways tell with games that dont work in chanka yet ) , doing this will make a bad image so allways keep your orginal image around , unless of course you dumped it yourself and know it's non bootable ... also of note , you can find copies of ip.bin around as some games just dont have it.