What's new

Cant Get Video From My Dvd Player! Help!!

Bigron26

Hello,
I have an emerson dvd player that just has rca jacks in the back. I have it hooked through my vcr because my old tv doesnt have RCA jacks or an input button. The vcr works fine. With the dvd, I can hear audio but I cant any video. Is there a product I need to buy to get the dvd player to work with my ancient tv?
Thanks for your help,
Bigron

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
its because of the dvd's copy protection, its called MacroVision.

Try turning your vcr off then try playing a dvd.. thats what my sister does.

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, long detailed explanation covering what they just said...

DVDs have a copyright protection called Macrovision. This macrovision will rear its ugly head if you try to plug a DVD player directly in to a vcr and "loop" it through to the TV.

Solution: Plug the DVD player directly into the TV only.

The problem is some old TVs like my parents dont support RCA cables (Yellow, Red, and White) or S-Video (looks somewhat like a PS2 mouse port). The DVD players dont have an RF output (looks like a cable that comes from the wall for cable or satelite access) for these TVs, thus you need an RF converter.

Common mistakes:
Under no circumstance will you be able to plug the DVD into the VCR.
The RF converter does NOT get rid of Macrovision.
The RF converter will NOT allow you to plug the DVD player into the VCR.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
just to note:
one of my friends has one of those new Toshiba DVD and VCR combos, and he can record directly from the DVD to VCR.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, there are other options...macrovision works by sending out of band video signals which confuse most vcr's, this results in either a shaky picture, a garbled picture, or a very dark or very bright picture. A video stabilizer will fix this problem.

or

hack your dvd player to remove the macrovision encoding, this is possible with several dvd player models, in many cases its as simple as burning an iso image to a cd, putting it in your dvd player, then waiting a minute for it to change its firmware. Through this you can also remove the region coding checks, and eliminate the effect of those few DVDs that force you to watch the previews everytime you put in the disc.

do a google search and you'll find your answer.