What's new

Can my new computer run Dolphin at all?

FlotsamX

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dualcore Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHZ.

900MB RAM (894 exact)

32-bit system (I'm talking about the old version of Dolphin, unless a new version suporting 32 was released I wasn't told about)

No video card (As of now)

Nvidia graphics card (Can't specify... this computer is new, I'm still learning about it XP)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You have or don't have a video card? Which is it?

Sure, that computer can most likely can run Dolphin. Just don't expect it to be lightning fast.

OP
F

FlotsamX

No... I have that now... although I think I might be confusing some key terms here. Graphics cards and video cards are 2 different things, or have I been misinformed? >.>"

Toasty

Sony battery
They're the same. Sometimes people refer to video capture cards as video cards, but that tends to make the term ambiguous, so normally, video card and graphics card are two terms for the same device.

OP
F

FlotsamX

Well then, I'm very sorry. I STILL haven't figured out how to get the specs on the graphics card, and they don't display it on the box. >.>"

All I know is that it is a 2007 Nvidia. I'm supposing you can't give a verdict with this information alone?

Toasty

Sony battery
Start -> Run -> type "dxdiag" (without quotes) and hit OK -> click the Display tab -> tell us what the Name is in the Device section.

GamerAeon

That's a built in card on the MoBo the nForce is a built in chipset that's on the MoBo (Motherboard) itself. As for the running of Dolphin...I've never run it but if it requires alot of Graphical throughput I don't know if the Chip can compare to an actual card.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Video is not a problem for Dolphin so much as CPU strength. With that graphics chipset and processor you'll probably run into problems with the processor first. My Core 2 doesn't do so well, and it's a bit faster than your Athlon.

BomarJr

still, it doesn't hurt to try. check my system specks, i have a core duo mac/pc when the first intel macs came out and it looks pretty good. give it a shot and tell us what you think of it ;)

OP
F

FlotsamX

Sure. ^.^

... I don't need BIOS, do I? Those things are a bitch to find.

EDIT: I don't need BIOS... but it doesn't matter. The only version of Dolphin I can use is the 1.2 beta... and it is NATURALLY slow. Animal Crossing runs at 4-8fps, with no sound.

Last edited:

DeLeTeBR

With the specs in my sign I can't play Mario Sunshine and Zelda (the only games I would like to play with a GC emulator), so don't bother instaling Dolphin in your computer.

Drizen

That 32-bit OS and less than 1 GB of RAM is what's going to put a big choke hold on your performance with Dolphin, but you'll certainly be able to run it. Probably not at stable framerates though.

al3xt4r

That 32-bit OS and less than 1 GB of RAM is what's going to put a big choke hold on your performance with Dolphin, but you'll certainly be able to run it. Probably not at stable framerates though.

memory is not primary for good work of this program...like someone say's cpu is problem...32 bit...