What's new

Can Halo(PC) run smooth? New Vid Card maybe?

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I recently bought Halo PC for $30 at Target, seemed like a pretty good deal. But the face that I can't get it to run all that well makes the game just not that fun. I've gone into all the ingame settings, set everything as low as possible and still have speed issues.

Halo-LowestSettings.jpg

(Should be running at 30fps / currently running at 9fps here)

I thought I met the requirments, but I guess I only just meet the minimums.
I figure a new video card could help. I was looking at either a 'RADEON 9800 SE 128MB' or a 'GeForce FX 5700 256MB'. That's what's currently in my price range. Although I'm not sure that small a jump would help. Any suggestions on any of this would be great.

-Shadow-

Banned
Your performance is quite normal . I had a similar performance with my old GF 4 Ti 4200 . You could try applying the official patches , but this increased the performance by only approx. 5 fps . There's no other way to get decent performance than changing your graphics card . My current average fps are around 50 , so your graphics card that you want to buy could achieve approx. 35 fps .

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
What video card do you currently have? This game performs a little low on even the 9800pro's and Fx5900 ultra's. On my Fx5900u, it ran about an average of 40 fps in the outdoor scenes at 1024x768 will all options maxed. When you get to areas where there is a lot of reflections/shinnyness on the walls or in heated battles, it dropped down to the mid 20's sometimes. I've heard it's the same with R9800's.

Unless your going for the newer 6800's or X800 video cards, the game isn't gonna perform much better with a 9800se or fx5700. You could probably get 30 fps with some of the settings turned low. And the 9800se's are pretty castrated cards with 128bit memory and only 4 pipes.

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Well it's nice to know it's not just me, but that's so sad. I wonder if it'd be that bad if Microsoft didn't come along and swoop up this game for XBox. I hope Half-Life 2 is coded better, if that is in fact the proiblem. I can run UT2004 with no problem. Thanks for the info though. I may need to see what I can get in the $200 range.

-Shadow-

Banned
EdgeBlade said:
I may need to see what I can get in the $200 range.

You can get a Radeon 9800Pro for 200€ ( in Europe ) . But i think it'll cost the same prize in other countries aswell . I can only recommend this graphics card . It's fast and reliable ( with newest drivers , of course :D )

The fact that Halo is so bad coded really annoys me . Look at Far cry or the further mentioned UT 2004 ! These 2 games are looking far better than Halo , the textures are bigger , the Polycount is insane , beautiful Pixel Shader effects ( in Far Cry ) . And these 2 games are running faster and more playable than Halo , thats really strange...

EdgeBlade said:
I hope Half-Life 2 is coded better, if that is in fact the proiblem

I think Half-Life 2 will be coded much better , i've tested the ripped beta :D Ok , it's just a little piece of the game , but it already looked OK ( i mean the details ) :D

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
H3ad5h0tter said:
I think Half-Life 2 will be coded much better , i've tested the ripped beta :D Ok , it's just a little piece of the game , but it already looked OK ( i mean the details ) :D

:happy: Very good to hear, I'm really looking foward to playing HL2, especially with the gun that let's you push/throw things around. And the vehicals looked fun. (I saw a long trailor for the game)

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
well ive been playin the halo trial on my new pc recently and ive had 30fps all the time, and ive only sometimes had slowdown in multiplayer

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
I rember playing the demo a ways back myself and it ran fine. Yet the full version does not, so - that's just how it goes. Supposivly the issue is with VIA based chipsets.

Perhaps a new motherboard and video card is in order?

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
I don't get any slow downs at all... I've got a gf4 ti4200 (see other specs in my profile)

You people MUST be doing something to make it not run properly...

sheik124

Emutalk Member
there are switches you can add to the halo shortcut, or use as command line parameters, -use11 or -use14 (-useff if your EXTREMELY desperate for FPS increases). -use11 and 14 force halo to use Pixel Shader 1.1 and 1.4 paths instead of the slower, not very different looking, 2.0 shaders, and both give nice speed increases, i personally run halo on 1.4 shaders on my gffx 5700 for a nice speed increase of about 10 fps. -useff on the other hand disables shaders altogether, making it look like it would on a Radeon 7000 or a GeForce 2/4 MX. with that 5200, -use11 is your best bet, gives you speed close, well, not really close, to that of the Ti 4200

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
cooliscool said:
A Ti4200 is much faster than an FX 5200. :p

H3ad5h0tter said:
Your performance is quite normal . I had a similar performance with my old GF 4 Ti 4200 . You could try applying the official patches , but this increased the performance by only approx. 5 fps . There's no other way to get decent performance than changing your graphics card . My current average fps are around 50 , so your graphics card that you want to buy could achieve approx. 35 fps .
That's mainly what I was replying to.

OP
EdgeBlade

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Stezo2k said:
I find that quite strange, it runs really smooth on my geforce 3, even when i had a xp 2000+

Does your motherboard use the VIA chipset? Because I think that may be the conflict

Stezo2k

S-2K
EdgeBlade said:
Does your motherboard use the VIA chipset? Because I think that may be the conflict

Yeah, my motherboard had a VIA KT400 chipset when i used my GeForce 3 on it. The game worked as well as it does on my xbox