What's new

Calling All Adaptoid Owners

Falkoner

As some of you may have seen, I am quite serious about emulating Hey You, Pikachu!, but am running into issues with getting an adapter that works. The subject of emulating the Hey You, Pikachu! VRU has been discussed before, but I think for lack of time it's yet to be accomplished.

But with some recent changes in the N64 scene, specifically the CEN64 core and the exciting developments with Gonetz' GlideN64, I feel like the controller plugin scene could use a little love, and I'd like to give it just that, using the NRage Plugin as a jumping point to a more cross-platform solution, without losing the features. I may even consider porting NRage features and N64 connectivity to the PS2 emulator's Lilypad plugin if it gets Linux compatibility as they've stated they're planning.

Whatever I end up choosing for the plugin's starting point, what I know is I want cross-platform compatibility, I want it to work for CEN64, Mupen64Plus and PJ64, I'd like the features of NRage as far as memory pak and gameboy paks are concerned, and I feel like adding Hey You, Pikachu! support would just round out the awesomeness.

What's stopping me is figuring out what codes the VRU returns for the various commands in Hey You, Pikachu! A list of available in-game commands is available online, and it claims to come from a dump of game's contents, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to do one of two things:

1. Figure out how to dump the Hey You, Pikachu! ROM and see if the return codes are already neatly available in some kind of format, in correspondence with those on the list linked above.

2. Test out each of the commands above and record what they return using the Adaptoid.

Once this is done we should be able to quickly add basic Hey You! Pikachu support, using just buttons to begin with, I would later plan on adding actual voice recognition using something like Sphinx.

F

Fanatic 64

1. Figure out how to dump the Hey You, Pikachu! ROM and see if the return codes are already neatly available in some kind of format
Get a cartridge of the game, a Nintendo 64 and a Dr. V64, dump the ROM and copy it over to your PC, and examine it with an hexadecimal editor.

OP
F

Falkoner

Get a cartridge of the game, a Nintendo 64 and a Dr. V64, dump the ROM and copy it over to your PC, and examine it with an hexadecimal editor.

Already attempted that a bit, I was able to figure out that it's byte-reversed, but it looks like most of the game data is compressed, and I couldn't find any uncompressors for it, I'm unfortunately not much of an expert in N64 compression schemes :(