What's new

boycott intel?

RatTrap

GODLIKE
** oops didn't paste full msg **

piracy and things like that are crippling all the companies here.. and i might be overexagerating abit on how much they are being crippled when it comes to some companies.. because there's allways some favourites that survive because they have things non other have.. but non the less.. they too are being somewhat in a very long dry season.. and if it gets worse.. more will drown in the sand next ekonomical year..

it don't matter what they did with the VCR.. they did what they could/could'nt.. it's not at all the same situation.. and also.. if they have a way of stoping the piracy.. are you really saying they should'nt use it?.. btw.. your cards thing won't work.. it's not controlled in any way inside your computer.. if someone builds a device that cracks it easy.. and that you then can distribute it without it.. you have the same thing we are in now.. the diference with palladin would be that there would be a clear line.. with that it would be like it is now.. therefor useless.. it's as good as adding serial checks to a service pack.. only doing that at least has a somewhat hidden purpose.. this does'nt..

bout palladin not comunicating with the internet.. well of course.. how else do you wanna do this.. if they still are connected somehow.. it will be much easier for someone to find a way to bust the system.. but your old internet will be there.. and as long as you don't do anything bad in it.. your safe.. Emulation64 has nothing to worrie about.. even if we don't sign with MS.. coz there's nothing wrong going on here..´

and about there not being any room for other OS's?.. who says Mac won't put drm in their system?.. i dunno but they could if they wanted too.. and i'm guessing they will.. also linux could come out with drm support.. nobody would stop it from doing so eather..

and about that remark about me typing palladin insteam of palladium.. i've talked about this topic for a while now with some buds of mine.. and we've started calling it palla.. i just type palladin coz i do.. but asking me to type it right would be like asking me to stop it with my double dot's.. or like me telling you to go brush that wolfs teath :p.. he really don't look like the leader wolf if you ask me..

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I think your IT problems might be a result of overabundance of people in that field. Remember, you need somebody to plant the seed, somebody to harvest the grain, and somebody to bake the bread. Sure baking the bread may be the easiest and most technical job, but if everybody only does that, then you don't have anything. The IT demand is relatively high here in the US, and IIRC the same in england. Sweden isn't the only party on the block, whatever happens to our economy, good or bad, may very well affect yours too in the same respect.

That aside, you can't fully blame the dot com bomb on piracy. Remember there were a lot of enterprises that rushed to the internet trying to be the ones to "cash out", but the stiff competition got the better of them. I would honestly say that only a fraction of these companies sold software. But, they all did buy software! Which created big business for the software guys. Now when these companies that were selling physical goods ran their debts up, didn't profit anything, and went bankrupt, guess what happened to the market that they were funding who sold them all kinds of software? Thats right, their profits went down with it. What do they do? Blame it on piracy! Now they gain certain tax exemptions! (and believe me, it benefits them well)

Originally posted by RatTrap
it don't matter what they did with the VCR.. they did what they could/could'nt.. it's not at all the same situation.. and also.. if they have a way of stoping the piracy.. are you really saying they should'nt use it?.. btw.. your cards thing won't work.. it's not controlled in any way inside your computer.. if someone builds a device that cracks it easy.. and that you then can distribute it without it.. you have the same thing we are in now.. the diference with palladin would be that there would be a clear line.. with that it would be like it is now.. therefor useless.. it's as good as adding serial checks to a service pack.. only doing that at least has a somewhat hidden purpose.. this does'nt..

Without giving away what exactly I have in mind, let me just say there are no keys involved, period. And I know from experience in this field that what I have in mind can't be cracked cheaply or easily no matter how you look at it, just up until now nobody has ever applied it to software. (also think about this, somebody who spends a lot of time figuring out ways to break copy protection - couldn't he ever come up with an idea that is hard to break and think "why haven't they ever tried this?") Remember, you haven't thought of every possible invention that there could ever be, so unless you are god, satan, or Al Gore on pot, then you don't know what I have in mind :p

Also the thing with me is I hate writing long posts, so responses to things like this:

you might not have said anything about wanting companies to make programs to linux.. but you did put up the link on your post.. and you should have made it clear that that wasn't your view then.. coz it was'nt clear at all that it was just a fun thing you wanted to post for me to read.. and that you didn't feel like that :p..

I don't always respond to because either it doesn't call for a response or I don't feel one is necessary :happy:

adi

get out of my house
i think you two should get together and write a novel at the rate we're going here.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
there we go with the "i think...." again.. see you haven't worked with this professionaly.. and experianced what has happend and how and why.. i've been very well involved in things here in this country.. i was part of one of the bigger IT-labour organisations in the country.. and i contributed a lot to it.. i still do.. and as i said b4.. and about the dot.com crash.. i brought it up.. but not as the cause of piracy.. more as one of the things we are recovering from.. and that even though it might not look like we are recovering from anything by the normal user.. the companies are.. wich make them even more so vulnerable at the moment..

it was you saying that the dot.com had more to do with piracy then the piracy overabuse by internet users has to do with piracy.. now your twisting my words and turning it all around.. i told you that it was what started the downfall of companies with it-services etc.. now what's happening is something else.. and that is not what palladin was made for.. and has nothing to do with this conversation other than to demonstrate a crisis that the internet is slowly recovering from.. and that should be taken in mind..

i see.. so your basicly saying you don't like to respond to things you wanna forget about.. k.. well good enugh.. anyways.. you can go ahead and have the last word.. i'm bored.. and i know your only contradicting me because you feel like doing so.. not because you have facts or anything to back it up.. all the things you say are personal thoughts.. i haven't encountered much in this thread that i've found to be relevant to the cause or the idea of what this thread started as.. only excuses and made up rumors backed up by personal thoughts.. so i withdraw from this senselessness..

oh and btw.. feel free to bias everyone and change every view i have against me on your last post.. not that i care.. it's not worth more of my time..

EOF..

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
1st paragraph:

Your right, I haven't, I am merely stating what might be a possibility, hence the "I think", among other unclear words like "IIRC". ;)

2nd paragraph:

I must be missing something here because I have no idea where you got that from. I think you may have misread me when I said that companies that are operating at a loss are suffering from the dot com bomb, but instead they want to blame it on piracy, not the other way around. But my origional statement about the downfall of the IT industry still stands.

No I don't have any facts readily available to back that up (though I could find some if you insist), but I frequently read articles from www.fuckedcompany.com which as a whole explain my reasoning. The IT industry grew too big too fast. Result? It bombed once the hype was gone (take for example pets.com, they spent millions on their web fiasco, a huge chunk of it towards the IT industry. Obviously they couldn't last forever with no profits, and piracy certainly had no issue with their loss since they didn't sell software, just like thousands of other companies like them that rise and fall in a matter of months these days). The IT industry will recover partialy in time, but it won't be anywhere near what it was in 1999-2000 anytime soon, piracy or no piracy.

I can't prove this next comment (nor could anybody disprove it), but I *highly* doubt that piracy affects the IT industry much (even if that was my thing against palladium, which it isn't). Again, we are right in the middle of a huge change, so hence our economy is in turmoil. Sooner or later the demand/availability of IT staff will settle, and until that time the current people in the IT field are going to suffer, and theres nothing you can do about it right now.

3rd paragraph:

I could pull the actual statistics if you want me to, but I hardly see the need to spend the time, I have already cited good enough examples.

Last comment:

And you aren't biased towards intel? :happy: (BTW, I might be biased, but certainly not limited. Hell I use a p3 on my laptop for example, AMD didn't make mobile athlons at the time)

And as a last comment about the IT industry, I could be very wrong here, but I predict heavy overstaffing soon in every market and geographical region, as well as a reduced demand as the coming generation will be far more computer literate than the last (just look how many kids these days are being raised on the internet, much higher than my generation). While I already have most of the skills necessary for a buttload of jobs in that field, I chose to avoid it like the plague for a career development option. (Yes I am barely 20 and just started college FYI) Don't take my word for it, but I decided that given the ammount that the IT sector loves to sue each other so much, and the ammount that I love to argue my point until I win, I should find myself becoming an attorney ;).

But anyways, I guess an argument is an argument and its over.

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Apparently AMD has jumped on the bandwagon as well.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/02/09/21/1441231.shtml?tid=142

But then there are conflicting reports.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5489

Many slashdot comments indicate that neither amd nor intel want to go through with this, but since its backed by microsoft, they are left with two choices:

Back palladium, recieve support from MS if the competition doesn't back it

Don't back palladium, you lose business and probably get shut out of the market because MS is supporting your competition.

Hmm...I'm still waiting for uncle sam to punish MS in the antitrust suit so that we can finaly put an end to this kind of thing.