What's new

Black Backgrounds in Ogre Battle 64

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Hi there! This is my first post so Hello Everyone!!!! :bouncy:

Well here´s my problem: I´m using 1964 0.8.5 and playing Ogre Battle, the thing is that in battles the backgrounf is all black, is there a way to fix this? btw im using Jabo Direct 3D6 1.5.1.

Thanks in advance.

Trotterwatch

It's a known problem - at the moment I don't believe there is a solution :( Hopefully a graphics plugin in the future will be able to.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
Wow... :huh: that was fast.

Well I know it´s a known problem but I asked because there´s a known problem with Super Smash Bros that I was able to fix so maybe someone was able to fix this.

ahh well, thanks anyway. :1964:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
The Ogre Battle 64 backgrounds are in a YUV format nobody knows how to decode yet. Therefore there's no way you can fix them without (re)writing some kind of video plugin yourself.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
ahh well that´s a shame, but I noticed that backgound very rarely DO display correctly.

Remote

Not sure why they doesn't display correctly and that's probaly why nobody has figured it out yet. But there's still a couple of video plugins in development and with a little luck somebody will figure it out and spread the news.

Glide64 has shown some very promising progress lately :D so maybe gonetz is the one who'll set the record straigt.

If you really like the game and want to play it, buy a used copy. Shouldn't set you back that much and if you get tired of it, sell it at eBay...

Rice

Emulator Developer
The backgrounds are in a YUV format and drawn with framebuffer effect. Let's hope Gonetz can figure it out.

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
but why do the backgrounds sometimes display if that YUV format hasn´t been decoded?

Rice

Emulator Developer
because the textures are in different format at that time.

I guess the game programers were so smart that they were using textures in YUV format at sometime and textures in other format at other time. They must know that the game will be emulated, and they knew how to make you nervous. Do you agree with me?

OP
Matata

Matata

Novato Experimentado
aha so that´s how the thing works!
Well I must say they were pretty smart... not having a background sucks a bit of fun out of the battle, I´ll put my hope on Gonetz.

Rice

Emulator Developer
I believe there were actually reasons for them to use YUV texture format. By using different YUV decoding coefficients, they could decode the same texture into different hue and colors. For example, you may want to see the same scene in slight different colors when it is at noon or it is at sunset. I believe there were similar reasons for them to render the background into frame buffer and draw the scene by using the prerendered texture in the frame buffer.

gandalf

Member ready to help
Let´s see,if orkin works in his plug-in,i supose,the next GLN64 will work much better with frame buffers (well,the speed and the quality are excelent,but, it´s missing some frame buffers effects like the board in 1080 and in MArio Kart.)