What's new

Better Performance

Mime

Hi,

Would you (that have better experience than me), please could help me to find the better plugins and better configuration of it to Project64, where i can take the maximum advantage of my computer.

Thanks!!!

revl8er

That Damn Good
well looking at your pc you should be able to play games such as zelda and mario easily. The plugins needed are determined by what games you are trying to play. Some games don't work with any plugins. The basic plugins should work fine for most games.

Archn

What about me?

Bought in August:

T2605 emachines
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition Preinstalled
eMachines recommends Microsoft Windows XP

2600+ AMD Athlon XP Processor

CD-RW 48x Max. Write

DVD 16x Max. Play

10/100Mbps Ethernet For connectivity to Broadband Cable/DSL

80 GB Hard Drive Ultra DMA

56K Fax Modem V. 92 ready PCI

512 MB DDR for optimized performance

3D S3 Graphics ProSavage8 Available AGP Slot

6 USB Ports

==========

I don't know what all of this means, but that's what the sticker says on my CPU case.

Clements

The best option for a Savage card is probably Glide64 0.5 + evoodoo 4.0.21 alpha as it won't crash on you like Jabo's might. The Savage is a bit of bottleneck and spoils your system a bit which is otherwise an excellent system, but you can always upgrade it in the future if it becomes a problem for you.

Kaoss626

best option for a savage anything is use it as a door stop.

seriously though, like Clements said. Or just pick up a new card I've even used a $50 Radeon 7000 with very good results (its comperable to a Geforce 2 MX). Personally I'd pick up a slightly faster card, but even the budget Geforces and Radeons will blow that savage away.

revl8er

That Damn Good
The savage is the problem for you, so you might want to invest in a new gfx card. With prices as low as they are getting now you can pick up a good one for under $100.

Archn

What's the best card available on the market and for how much, and how much of a difference is there compared to the 3D S3 Graphics ProSavage8? How hard is it to install to an emachines?

Trotterwatch

Almost any card you could buy nowadays will be a quantum leap performance wise and compatibility wise over the Savage.

As long as you have a spare AGP slot (and it says you do in your specs), then a graphics card is really simple to install. Just anti-static yourself by touching a metal part of the case and put the card in the AGP slot firmly :) There are some cards which will also require a seperate power connection to work.

Not sure what your budget is, but something such as a Geforce 4 (non MX) should be pretty cheap now, and will give you great performance. A GF4 MX is also a decent performing (for most things) and very low cost solution, should be sub $30 in cost.

Anyways, I'm sure some better advice will come in soon :)

Clements

Prices go up all the way to around £300. A good idea is simply to buy the most expensive nVidia or ATi you can reasonably afford. Make sure you go to a benchmark site so you aren't ripped off.

At a guess, your machine is the right sort of specs to have a Geforce4 Ti 4200 or Radeon 9500 Pro or above with such a good processor and ram. These can be found pretty cheaply now that the newer ones have been released and these models can be found cheaply (about £100 or so). These cards will be very compatible and much faster in high resolutions. And if in doubt, get an expert to install it for you.

When I bought my comp, I had quite a few bottlenecks, but I simply saved up and bought the new parts and I'm reaping the rewards now :)

OP
Mime

Mime

Thank you all for all replies,

and sorry but i specified wrong my video card's model.

the correct is:

Wonder 5000-TNT2 M64 32Mb SDRAM PCI (NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64 Chipset) - *NOT S3*

I used glide64+evoodoo and it work just fine.

I know that my video card is the bottleneck and my motherboard isn't the best too. It's an Ecs Elitegroups (P6STMT - Sis Chipset), without slot AGP.

My budget isn't very low, but here in Brazil the prices that you had described, you can multiply by 7, then this is the price here. I'm thinking to buy the new Asus mb P4P800 (For P4 HT), but just when it arrives in Brazil.

I'll accept all suggestion that you send to me, thanks.

sanndman2k4

A new video card you say?!

Okay If I am not mistaken, you have about $150 (U.S. equivalent) to spend. You've got a few options available to you, especially since your system has an AGP upgrade path, which is a shock considering most systems with integrated graphics do NOT give you the option of doing so. That's a step in the right direction there. With a PCI video card, the fastest performance you will get with anything is about equivalent to 1500 3DMarks in 3DMark2001. And if you do your homework, the fastest machines paired with an Athlon 64 FX model 51 with a GeForce FX 5950 Ultra will rack up about 20,000. But, that's another subject entirely.

My advice to you would be to shop around a bit. If you do any gaming besides with emulation, and are not going to be playing anything on the cutting edge but still want good pixel and vertex shader support, and will not be using anisotropic filtering or FSAA, an nVIDIA GeForce 4 Ti4200 or even a Ti4600 is a great option. I have an ASUS V8420S myself, and they're great cards (they come clocked out of the box at 261MHz core and 554MHz memory! :D) and perform well in all DirectX 8.1 apps. If you're looking for something a little more future-proof, Your best bet would be either a GeForce FX 5600 or an ATi Radeon 9600 Pro. And out of those two, the ATi card will blow the hell out of the 5600 non-ultra.

All of these cards should be less than 120 UK pounds or $150. Hope I've been of help!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
/methinks that gf4 ti is better than gf fx. If you want something equalient to gf fx, go for the raedons.

sanndman2k4

Doomulation said:
/methinks that gf4 ti is better than gf fx. If you want something equalient to gf fx, go for the raedons.

I agree with Doomulation. Most of the GeForce FX cards are absolute crap, with the exception of the newly released GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. These are actually great cards for the money, and nVIDIA has worked out almost all of the kinks in this GPU. These bad boys are stride for stride with the RV360 core in Direct3D apps, and pull ahead quite a bit in OpenGL applications. If it were up to me, I'd snag an FX 5700 Ultra over the Radeon 9600 XT. These things are sweet. And these cards have far less issues than the Radeon 9600 series with some games, but beware there's still a game or two that will have FSAA issues with this, but nVIDIA says they will fix this upon their next driver release. Go for the FX 5700U or a 9600 XT dude. You can't go wrong.