What's new

Best processor for Project64. Help!

OP
loleoc

loleoc

Thanks to all!!

Ok, I´ll buy an Athlon XP 2000 or 2100. Here an Athlon 2000 costs 95 u$s and 2100 97 u$s. But, will I have problems of temperature with Athlon, is it sufficient with the original cooler provided by amd or must I add and additional cooler for perfect stability and normal temperature?

Ok, AMD Athlon are better than Celeron but I think to buy a Celeron because the motherboard could support pc 400 ram and the processor have a 400 mhz fsb (DFI EPC21) and the Athlon motherboard (PCCHIPS 825) only supports ddr 266 memory. Samely an Athlon xp 2100 with ddr 266 ram are faster and better than a Celeron 2100 with pc 400 or pc 333 ram, truth?

gandalf

Member ready to help
loleoc said:
Thanks to all!!

Ok, I´ll buy an Athlon XP 2000 or 2100. Here an Athlon 2000 costs 95 u$s and 2100 97 u$s. But, will I have problems of temperature with Athlon, is it sufficient with the original cooler provided by amd or must I add and additional cooler for perfect stability and normal temperature?

Ok, AMD Athlon are better than Celeron but I think to buy a Celeron because the motherboard could support pc 400 ram and the processor have a 400 mhz fsb (DFI EPC21) and the Athlon motherboard (PCCHIPS 825) only supports ddr 266 memory. Samely an Athlon xp 2100 with ddr 266 ram are faster and better than a Celeron 2100 with pc 400 or pc 333 ram, truth?

I not recomend PC Chips.
Better,try to purchase an ASUS motherboard.
You dont have temperature problems with AMD Athlon with the original fan cooler.

That´s true :)

P.D.: Aguante independiente carajo!

OP
loleoc

loleoc

Thanks Gandalf!

I´ll get an Asus + Athlon 2000.

Che, yo también soy de Avellaneda! Mirá si te conozco??.

jdsony

gandalf said:
I not recomend PC Chips.
Better,try to purchase an ASUS motherboard.
You dont have temperature problems with AMD Athlon with the original fan cooler.

That´s true :)

P.D.: Aguante independiente carajo!

If your motherboard supports DDR400 you can use it. The Processor and the RAM will run at different speeds and even if you couldn't it would still beat the Celeron by a lot!

Good Luck and have fun!

Lex

loleoc said:
Samely an Athlon xp 2100 with ddr 266 ram are faster and better than a Celeron 2100 with pc 400 or pc 333 ram, truth?

Read my previous post, even an Amd Duron 1.6ghz is faster then a Celeron 2.66 so an Athlon xp 2100+ definatly kicks the celerons ass.

yumero

what can you do to speed up the emulation without having to buy a new processor? i have a intel celeron by the way.

gandalf

Member ready to help
Well,i made a little "tutorial" to optimize PJ64,but it´s in Spanish (very hard ti translate with an Translator)
And the page,have ROMS.Sorry :(

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jollyrancher said:
Unless you're talking about Celerons... although they are pretty inexpensive these days.

ChipSETs. Not processors. As in, MOTHERBOARD chipsets. >_>

Yeah, Intel's Celerons have always sucked. Why do you think they're so cheap?

Yeah, a 1.0GHz P3 does beat a 1.4GHz P4. When was the last time you saw a 2.5GHz P3?

sheik124

Emutalk Member
AMD RULES!!
so ok, the pentium is better in some situations but amd still has its pros
two words, uneducated consumers, the second people hear pentium 4 or high clock-rates, they go crazy and start drooling all over the pc, at my school everyone would always ask me, "what pentium you got dude?" and i'd smack 'em upside the head and tell them i had an Athlon, then they'd be all "duhhh whats that", everyone's been poisoned by Intel's marketing tactics, and the AMD Athlon FX 51 does outperform the P4 EE 3.2 ghz in 40% of benchmarks and 300 dollars, you make the decision