What's new

Best new toy of the year?

Alchemist

what do y'all think is the best new technology for the year?

My money is on AMD's dual-core processing.

but that's just me.

WhiteX

Alchemist said:
what do y'all think is the best new technology for the year?

My money is on AMD's dual-core processing.

but that's just me.

if for technology we do not intend it to be hardware only, i´d say XNA, because it powers not only X360 but pc gaming as well and M$ wishes it to become a developing interface to everybody making games, if we stick to hardware, i´d go X360 all the way, since PC gaming has no leaps in time, only
steady adding of horsepower and lame ass FPS`s, the first new console for the next gen will rock ass!

Jaz

Ex-Mod
sytaylor said:
HD TV's are beautiful. Like almost hot female beautiful.

Agreed. My mate just had his delivered ready for 360 launch.

Me, I'm going to wait for the prices to drop.

Eagle

aka Alshain
noals said:
i think the "Blu-ray Disc" or "HD DVD" will change our futur pc again.

I think Blu-ray and HD DVD will both fail to the original DVD. As it is currently anyway. To date, neither is backward compatible (although they say both will be eventually backward compatible, we will see). Add to that, its becoming more apparent that the two will be incompatible with with each other, which means half the people out there will have HD DVD players and the other half will have Blu-Ray making it the most inconvenient situation imaginable. I personally hope they both fail and DVD stick around a lot longer.

As for HDTV, I think its going to become a lot more prominent. For those who have not heard, US congress is now requiring all TV stations to be fully digital by 2009. Which means everyone in the US will have to have a HDTV or a Digital to Analog converter in 4 years. Further more it means that in 4 years there will be no more analog TVs being sold in retail.

Last edited:

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Eagle said:
For those who have not heard, US congress is now requiring all TV stations to be fully digital by 2009.

Sky Digital in the UK will be fully HD by the end of 2007.

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
WhiteX said:
if for technology we do not intend it to be hardware only, i´d say XNA, because it powers not only X360 but pc gaming as well and M$ wishes it to become a developing interface to everybody making games, if we stick to hardware, i´d go X360 all the way, since PC gaming has no leaps in time, only
steady adding of horsepower and lame ass FPS`s, the first new console for the next gen will rock ass!
It might surprise you to learn that there are genres other then FPS for PC. But for me, dual-core processing = greatness. HDTV isn't this year, and XBox360 isn't being released everywhere this year.

WhiteX

i understand that there are other genres, however like 70% of all PC releases are either FPS or RTS, i play mostly on PC and finding a good 3rd person game like god of war, zelda, devil may cry or ninja gaiden is all but impossible.

OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

WhiteX said:
i understand that there are other genres, however like 70% of all PC releases are either FPS or RTS, i play mostly on PC and finding a good 3rd person game like god of war, zelda, devil may cry or ninja gaiden is all but impossible.

this is true. Most of the 3p games realeased are the ones easily completed in less than a week (Ultimate Sp-man, Fable).

I did, however, enjoy Indigo Prophecy.

Eagle

aka Alshain
WhiteX said:
i understand that there are other genres, however like 70% of all PC releases are either FPS or RTS.

Not true. Today the majority of PC gaming compaines are cashing in on the MMORPG world. Asside from that, since the MMORPG is constantly changing, it doesn't fall into the same category as your FPS and RTS games that are released and then almost never touched by the programmers again. If you take into account the patches and expansions, then MMORPGs are the majority for PC.