What's new

Battlefield 2 Demo...

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Anyone else playing? Thoughts? Impressions..?
Seems rather enjoyable so far, barring the odd idiot TK'er and some slight control menu bugs and weapons balancing issues. I'm usually taking up space on one of the EADemoUk servers with my trusty antitank weapon... see, here I go again. Can't resist the urge to kill me some tanks. Hyuk. :term:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I played it, yeah. Man, I love newsgroups... got it off there fast and efficient, can't say the same if I used a torrent or a packed ftp!

I thought it was very nice, definitely an improvement over the first and one of the best UI's i've ever seen in a shooter, it's a real memory hog though :p

I played it for around 30 minutes, blasting people and being blasted, plan to again.

56k users be warned, this is a big screenie:

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Things I have developed a deep, deep loathing of;
Spawn-killers. Those scum who hang around shooting anyone the instant they spawn. You should have at least a couple of seconds immunity (perhaps unable to fire too) coded into the game.
Artillery. Too many times in the game this pattern occurs that lets the non-USA team easily gain the upper hand. Artillery shells the hell out of one of your bases, killing everyone outright. Then before anyone can respawn, a tank and apc (or two tanks) belonging to the enemy speed in with a couple of other troops who have just waited outside for it to happen. Then begins the spawnkiller problem, they win the base with ease, then repeat the same at the next one along the coast. Tanks have too much armour still. Taking 3-4 hits from an antitank weapon even from the rear or side makes them damned impossible if more than one is around.

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
If it used the Source engine, I wouldn't be going anywhere near it. It does have a very Desert Combat feel overall, perhaps just the style and size of the map makes it seem that way but the weapons are very similarly weighted. Still the map does seem like a classic-to-be given the repeated play it has stood up to.

OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
And you're missing out all the lovely non-generic buildings just over to the right... It's all about the Hotel. That and raining down VIOLENT ANTI-TANK MISSILE DEATH FROM ABOVE from the rooftop. ;)
EDIT: Ah, it's the 16-player version there. No wonder the map confused me.

Zilla

夢を見られた
I'm loving it so far, definitely going to buy the full version when it comes out.
Runs very well on my system with 2xQ turned on, looks beautiful. :alucard:
Just a few thoughts:

>Commander Mode and the new squad system is just Genius!

>Parachuting onto the crane + Sniping :devil:

>Love the new flight controls, though maps could be bigger, like Joint Operations size for proper dogfighting, the aircraft go too fast plus have a large turn arc for the size of the demo map.

I've never played desert combat, only plain BF1942 as JO:Escalation had everything I wanted, but this seems a worthy contender for my gaming time. :)

Also does anyone know if the Aircraft carriers will be drivable in the Retail Version, like in BF1942? It was always a great way to avoid being torpedo'ed. :)

Last edited:

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Well I got the game today! Haven't had chance to play it yet though - fucking missus and Sims 2... :p

Neospy

NSISTING on nVidia
dogdogwoof said:
dang, i'm about to download the demo but those screenshots of it look beasty!
I'm sorry but if your signature is right, you cant run it with your graphics card :plain: .

Anyone who has the full version... ARE YOU FED UP WITH THE LAG OR WHAT? :term:

neospy

jdsony

Does the full version have more lag or are you just asking because if someone paid for it they have more of a right to get mad? I find in the demo I have found some faster servers but still when I get in a jet and start to take off it usually lags right as a take off which often makes me crash. Sometimes I get the "Network Connectivity Issue" for a second which usually results in me dieing.

Is it just me or is this becoming more of an issue with other games as well? I use to have no problems with lag back when I played the old coutner-strike. I could seriously play and not be concerned about dying because of lag. With the newer games although they run just fine they lag more online.