What's new

Banjo Tooie

DeathHawk

Sorry for adding another thread when there seem to be many but I can't get Banjo Tooie to work on 1964 0.8.5 but it does on PJ64 1.5 even though i tried 1964 with the same plugins?? When i run it on 1964 it just shows a river and bank but the screen does not move but it is playing the correct intro music but not the intro movie. I have searched through several posts on here but i have done everything as far as i can see to make it work. Comments plz, tnx.

Clements

Have you enabled the RSP plugin? This game requires it. You'll have to copy the RSP.dll from the PJ64 folder.

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
If you go to the select plugin screen there will be a check box for RSP emulation!!! It will say something like RSP enabled - Needed for Tooie LLE Audio etc, if this box is not ticked you will simply see a running river.

schibo

Emulator Developer
Grant64 said:
If you go to the select plugin screen there will be a check box for RSP emulation!!! It will say something like RSP enabled - Needed for Tooie LLE Audio etc, if this box is not ticked you will simply see a running river.

With 0.9.9 you will not need the RSP plugin for this game thanks to Hacktarux.

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Schibo thats impressive - Does that mean there will be a huge speed increase in Tooie. RSP slows things down substantially??

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
you don't need the rsp plugin now if you make a save state within the game and load it once you've loaded the rom

schibo

Emulator Developer
Grant64 said:
Schibo thats impressive - Does that mean there will be a huge speed increase in Tooie. RSP slows things down substantially??

Not substantially. The big bottleneck in this game is from all the time that it spends in the compiler with our implementation.

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
You know I never really got the way Azi cracked Banjo! This Brute Force method - How did it work and what would be the non brute force method???

zorbid

The game data is encrypted, with various keys along the ROM. There is a custom chip on the ROM that permforms the decoding while the game is running, but when you rip the ROM, you get the encrypted data.

Brute force means that you try every possible key untill you find the good one(s). It requires a lot of processing time. This has to be done one time only.

In this peculiar case, you get a table with all the keys. You see the result of this in the pif2.dat file located in the main pj64 1.5 folder.

"Brute Force" doesn't require any hard work on the emulator side, the hard work has been done by Azimer's and Tooie's computers.
(Tooie is PJ64 1.5 lead developper, maybe another emu author in disguise? Who knows.. Do you remember CoolDeadalus? Whatever, it's so easy to be anonymous on the web :shifty: )

Once you have the table, the emulator has to apply the right key to the right part of the ROM.

Non brute force would mean that you'd have to find the algorithm used in the chip to choose the encryption key for a given part of the ROM. Applying the algorithm on the fly would probably be slower than using the table described above, so you'd have to generate it anyway...

Last edited:
OP
D

DeathHawk

Thank ppl, the RSP Plugin lets me run the game, however on both emulators the vie totals screen is blank apart for saying the name if the area and the clock with the time, why is this?

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Actually we didn't do it brute force... we spent countless hours feeding the codes in and getting output. I have also been able to estimate the algorithm close enough to get a few codes. I did about 35/40% of the codes and tooie did the rest on a v64jr.

danos

sorry I know this has nothing to do with emulatiuon but has anyone seen the new screens for rare's new banjo game on the GBA?? there on IGN looking evry sweet

That is all sorry!

Hyper19s

Banned
danos said:
sorry I know this has nothing to do with emulatiuon but has anyone seen the new screens for rare's new banjo game on the GBA?? there on IGN looking evry sweet

That is all sorry!

yeah apology accepted and yes that game is looking sweet!!!

Hyper19s

Banned
when it comes to banjo tooie i always played it on the real n64 not the emulators for some odd reason
its just the way its looks.

sorry if that made you mad emu fans
i play most other games on emus though

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
While i do agree that playing this game on an emulator is the best way to play this or any other n64 game, there are advantages to emulation too, such as save states and it looks much better, i personally can't stand the low res graphics on the tv anymore theres such a huge difference.

Hyper19s

Banned
yes but it is mostly due to the fact the the moniter
is more high definition and your video card is way better than the n64

hmmm that is all