What's new

Banjo-Tooie stability (CF1?)

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Alright, I think I'm doing everything right. I backed up my previous Banjo-Tooie eep (the one I beat by savestating every time I went to a different area) and replaced it with the fixed one from 1964 0.8.5. Proceeded to create a save file and get the first 9 Jiggies. I attempted to unlock the second and third worlds consecutively without exiting the temple. PJ64 locked up completely when loading the third jigsaw puzzle (during the time when the screen is black after fading out through the jiggy transition). Sound stopped and I had to terminate it through the task manager. I am wondering what the cause of this crash may be. My configuration is as follows:

PJ64 1.6 with 1.6.015 RDB
Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6 Graphics
Jabo's DirectSound/RSP LLE Audio with Audio Sync enabled (not that this matters, hehe Blacklord)
Counter Factor set to 1 for smooth gameplay

I know that PJ64 has been extensively tested by 4real and ScottJC with these settings on CF2, so I am thinking that perhaps this is related to the CF1 setting? Or could this be some kind of core bug in PJ64 triggered by attempting two different puzzles before exiting the temple?

I cannot provide a savestate nor a native save, as BT was kind enough to autosave after I unlocked world 2 (good thing too, I wasn't savestating). One last question: Would a similar configuration with the mupen64 RSP on 1964 0.8.5 be more stable?

Thanks for bearing with me. I will see if I can reproduce the situation tomorrow after a run through GGM.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Try using the eep fix provided by 4real:
http://www.banjotooiefaq.co.uk/files/fix.zip

It's a save file from 1964 and apparently it won't crash with it, I believe that the save file has something to do with the crashing - maybe pj64 not creating the correct one or it getting curropt... which would explain why it mostly happens when the game does its autosaving (which it does a LOT of btw).

I have never tested pj64 with mupens rsp and schibos audio but quite frankly 1964 has smoother gameplay so I never needed to. On CF1 1964 has much better timing for most rareware games especially the Banjos'

OP
CF2

CF2

Pretends to make sense
ScottJC said:
Try using the eep fix provided by 4real:
http://www.banjotooiefaq.co.uk/files/fix.zip

It's a save file from 1964 and apparently it won't crash with it, I believe that the save file has something to do with the crashing - maybe pj64 not creating the correct one or it getting curropt... which would explain why it mostly happens when the game does its autosaving (which it does a LOT of btw).

I have never tested pj64 with mupens rsp and schibos audio but quite frankly 1964 has smoother gameplay so I never needed to. On CF1 1964 has much better timing for most rareware games especially the Banjos'
I'm already using that eep; that was what I meant when I said I replaced the eep. Thanks anyway though. In any case, it still appears that PJ64 has some core issues with the Banjo games. 1964 0.8.5 remains the best emulator to use with this game. I just hope that PJ64 hasn't tainted my fixed eep...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Damn my eyes for not reading correctly - Anyway, I am not suprised if it does crash with the eep from 1964 - Banjo-Tooie has basically always been a ticking time bomb for a game. Please report your findings in the Banjo-Tooie Faq page in general emulation and see if any of the other things 4real and I have come up with work for PJ64.

You said it crashed in Glitter Glutch mine? (if i spelled that right) - thats one of the high crash areas, especailly the first person shooter part... I was pretty much gaurenteed to get a crash there.

I do believe using Jabos Direct3d 1.5.2 and smiffs RSB helps stablize it, I do agree that 1964 0.8.5 is a much better alternative for this one in paticular... pretty much because I have never personally seen it crash once with this game and thats with Jabos 1.6 video plugin.

Thanks for your help CF2, Banjo-Tooie is one of my favourites and I do want it to get working properly on Project64 without any workarounds one day.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Banjo Tooie plays fine for me, the only timei get romcode and crashes is when i have cheats that conflict with a certain part of the game enabled.

that or the wrong self modifying code set.