Did you find this Faq usefull ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xamenus

I edited my previous post to outline what steps to take when fixing Banjo-Tooie crashes in PJ without having to start a new game.

Today, I followed those 5 steps and played for about 1-and-a-half to 2 hours in PJ 1.6 with latest RDB. I did not get a single crash. I'm using Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2, Jabo's DirectSound 1.6, and N-Rage's DirectInput 1.83.

So I guess it is a problem with the SRAM...

Last edited:

xamenus

Well, I just got it to crash today using my 5 steps. :/ I still haven't tried 4real's attached save file, though.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
IceFox said:
I edited my previous post to outline what steps to take when fixing Banjo-Tooie crashes in PJ without having to start a new game.

Today, I followed those 5 steps and played for about 1-and-a-half to 2 hours in PJ 1.6 with latest RDB. I did not get a single crash. I'm using Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2, Jabo's DirectSound 1.6, and N-Rage's DirectInput 1.83.

So I guess it is a problem with the SRAM...

BT actually use 16keeprom, but thanks, this is good info.
there is one more thing i need before we can start fixing this properly please.
Is the game as stable if you do the same but instead use all Jabo's v1.6 plugins? (i.e. is there some reason you are not using Jabo v1.6 video?
thanks in advance.

edit: when you said it crashed later, what do you mean, how did it crash?

OP
4real

4real

IceFox said:
Well, I just got it to crash today using my 5 steps. :/ I still haven't tried 4real's attached save file, though.

I would use 1964 version8.5 setup with your graphics card you should find no problems at all.

OP
4real

4real

Smiff said:
BT actually use 16keeprom, but thanks, this is good info.
there is one more thing i need before we can start fixing this properly please.
Is the game as stable if you do the same but instead use all Jabo's v1.6 plugins? (i.e. is there some reason you are not using Jabo v1.6 video?
thanks in advance.

edit: when you said it crashed later, what do you mean, how did it crash?

Ive been testing this for a few months and not had a single crash with preset setting when you install pj64 and use save from 1964v8.5.

Using Jabo's 1.6 gfx and sound.

Jobos 1.5 gfx works better with intergrated gfx cards.

xamenus

Smiff said:
is there some reason you are not using Jabo v1.6 video?
thanks in advance.
Well, Jabo's 1.6 doesn't really like my video card that much. It frequently gives me an error dialog while I'm running any game: "While processing graphics data an exception occured. You may need to restart the emulator." I don't know if there's an option in the plugin's config that can fix it or not.

when you said it crashed later, what do you mean, how did it crash?
The game simply froze, but the application itself did not crash.

BTW, I don't get crashes that often anyway. I'm still comfortable using PJ. And plus, BT progress is saved automatically anyway, so I don't lose any progress. :) (You actually don't have to go to Save and Quit in the game's pause menu to save.)

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok, the video plugin is probably not the issue.

for people who try the save posted in the 1st post of this thread in PJ64 1.6 (all 1.6 components + latest rdb), who can confirm it's stable (or confirm its not?) please?

suppose 9/10 of people report it's stable using that save, we can have good confidence that a save issue is worth looking at. the problem is that lots of time can be wasted looking in the wrong area. we are close. thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Bighead

Oversized Cranium
Smiff said:
ok, the video plugin is probably not the issue.

for people who try the save posted in the 1st post of this thread in PJ64 1.6 (all 1.6 components + latest rdb), who can confirm it's stable (or confirm its not?) please?

suppose 9/10 of people report it's stable using that save, we can have good confidence that a save issue is worth looking at. the problem is that lots of time can be wasted looking in the wrong area. we are close. thanks everyone.

It's been awhile since I visited these forums but had to check this post. I beat this game (not every jiggy), without any crashes using the EEP from 1964. I was a skeptic at first, but it works rather well, at least for me. There is at least one confirmation so far.

Blacklord

Banned
Saq said:
Banjo Tooie will sometimes freeze and even crash my pc at times. Please fix this.
Sync game to audio fixes this. (or was it Jabo's D3D6?). In any case this problem has been fixed.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Blacklord said:
Sync game to audio fixes this. (or was it Jabo's D3D6?). In any case this problem has been fixed.
no - it hasn't, it is a save issue in Project64 1.6 which causes the crashing as if you start the game from 1964 0.9.9 and use a save (native) from there it is believed to not crash. However 1964 0.8.5 no matter what the plugin for video you choose it won't crash - all I know is its not a sound or video problem, its core.

I put too much research into this game, find a thread on the general n64 emu forum for this game and read it - quite interesting. There is workarounds but no fix for PJ64.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I and 4real spent a great deal of time working this game out and i'll thank you to get the correct information before you correct me, when you spend 30+ hours finding solutions for one game on an emulator, you come and tell me about it and i'll respond to you like a jerk in the manner you've responded to me, I bet you'll love that.

I've even tested both of the things you mentioned in your post Blacklord, both have failed - the only thing that has worked on my system that hasn't crashed is 1964 0.8.5 + mupens rsp + jabo's video.

Fact of the matter is Banjo-Tooie is not as simple as everyone thinks, its one hell of a bitch to get working properly and doesn't provide instant results on its stability - sometimes you have to play for 8 hours straight before you can get it to crash - in which case the game has failed its stability test.

I played the game using nothing but native states through 70% of the game on 1964 0.8.5 and it never crashed once, I can't tell you how often it crashed in PJ64 - but it pissed me off.

The problem lies in its Sram, I am almost 100% sure of it - it is NOT an audio plugin or video plugin thing - it is a core issue. which would explain why 4real says that 1964's save made the game not crash. Had you read my last post maybe you'd have saw me mention that? hmm?

I also used three different computers to test for the crashing, I was devoted to testing this game at one point - so I do get rather annoyed with people question me on something I know a great deal about. I have nothing to prove to you anyway, I just hate people who talk crap. I have a feeling zilmar will listen to me and 4real over you anyway.

Oh yeah and learn the difference between a fix and a workaround, I'd rather see this problem fixed than having to work round it.

But since you won't read this anyway i'll post directly this:
.... reread my post and the quote.

(to everyone else, I apologize for the angry post but this is something I took a hell of a personal interest in and will not stand being corrected about it, BT is one of my favourite games as well; oh well this is derailing the thread so I'd appreciate most people ignoring it and continuing with what this thread is about if possible).

Last edited:

Crizzle

Whoa dude, deep breath. The game works fine for me, granted I only have 2-3 hours of play in it, so maybe I just havent played enought to experience this crash you speak of. In anycase your last paragraph is pretty arrogant..."I will not stand being corrected" If youre wrong, youre wrong (not saying you are I dont know) but if you are I'd hope you would be able to admit it.

Blacklord

Banned
ScottJC said:
I and 4real spent a great deal of time working this game out and i'll thank you to get the correct information before you correct me, when you spend 30+ hours finding solutions for one game on an emulator, you come and tell me about it and i'll respond to you like a jerk in the manner you've responded to me, I bet you'll love that.

I've even tested both of the things you mentioned in your post Blacklord, both have failed - the only thing that has worked on my system that hasn't crashed is 1964 0.8.5 + mupens rsp + jabo's video.

Fact of the matter is Banjo-Tooie is not as simple as everyone thinks, its one hell of a bitch to get working properly and doesn't provide instant results on its stability - sometimes you have to play for 8 hours straight before you can get it to crash - in which case the game has failed its stability test.

I played the game using nothing but native states through 70% of the game on 1964 0.8.5 and it never crashed once, I can't tell you how often it crashed in PJ64 - but it pissed me off.

The problem lies in its Sram, I am almost 100% sure of it - it is NOT an audio plugin or video plugin thing - it is a core issue. which would explain why 4real says that 1964's save made the game not crash. Had you read my last post maybe you'd have saw me mention that? hmm?

I also used three different computers to test for the crashing, I was devoted to testing this game at one point - so I do get rather annoyed with people question me on something I know a great deal about. I have nothing to prove to you anyway, I just hate people who talk crap. I have a feeling zilmar will listen to me and 4real over you anyway.

Oh yeah and learn the difference between a fix and a workaround, I'd rather see this problem fixed than having to work round it.

But since you won't read this anyway i'll post directly this:
.... reread my post and the quote.

(to everyone else, I apologize for the angry post but this is something I took a hell of a personal interest in and will not stand being corrected about it, BT is one of my favourite games as well; oh well this is derailing the thread so I'd appreciate most people ignoring it and continuing with what this thread is about if possible).

The post ain't that angry. Anyway what are you getting at? On my computer with Sync game to audio(or jabo's d3d6)<--Can't remember which one, Banjo and Tooie/Kazooie both work PERFECTLY no crashes or frezees. But since you mentioned it i will test it and see if it's sync game or d3d6 and make a thread asking people if it worked and i will prove that this problem can be fixed. I wouldn't have posted about it if my game didn't work. A workaround you say? Yes I agree pressing a button is the biggest workaround invented yet. Why waste the programers time when you can put a little bit more effort (3 clicks maximum).

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Only again you talk nothing but bullshit, try doing some research before you spout out the crap that you do - as i have said TWO times none of your solutions will EVER work. Sync to audio - the game will crash, using different video plugin, game will crash.

for the last and final FUCKING time, it is a CORE ISSUE you moron. Prove me wrong and then we'll talk again about this.

Blacklord

Banned
Ok my fine friend what do you call that software which people use to make clips of PJ64 and dolphin? You know... That thing... Like a camera filming? I will prove you are a complete dumbass and you are the one making a fucking fool out of yourself. Why would i make myself look like a moron if my game wouldn't work? I also saw it says there Core issue and i have always been puzzeled as what is the core issue?
NOW I WILL PROVE YOU WRONG! once i find that software i will upload the clip here and show you not neccesarily that you are a dumbass moron but that you are completly inefficient in correcting errors.
EDIT: i found FRAPS it's good but makes vids to big 150mb 30seconds. Any help on making em smaller? But you would consider it bullshit, photoshop or a fake. And anyway 30 seconds doesen't prove shit but i'll still make one.

Last edited:

gandalf

Member ready to help
Blacklord said:
Ok my fine friend what do you call that software which people use to make clips of PJ64 and dolphin? You know... That thing... Like a camera filming? I will prove you are a complete dumbass and you are the one making a fucking fool out of yourself. Why would i make myself look like a moron if my game wouldn't work? I also saw it says there Core issue and i have always been puzzeled as what is the core issue?
NOW I WILL PROVE YOU WRONG! once i find that software i will upload the clip here and show you not neccesarily that you are a dumbass moron but that you are completly inefficient in correcting errors.
EDIT: i found FRAPS it's good but makes vids to big 150mb 30seconds. Any help on making em smaller? But you would consider it bullshit, photoshop or a fake. And anyway 30 seconds doesen't prove shit but i'll still make one.
re-compres the movie that FRAPS created with VideoMatch or virutal dub