What's new

Backing Up?

Shpongled

News Junkie
Can anyone suggest a good program I can buy that helps me backup a ton of stuff?

I got like 14GB of random things that I want to put on CD incase I have a hard disk crash -- again -- and was hoping there was some sort of program that will facilitate this.

Like, a program that will automatically compress the entire thing, split it into separate files, then prompt me to insert CDs?

Thanks guys

smcd

compressing it all and splitting the one giant archive might not be the best idea. What if one CD gets scratched? Essentially your whole backup will die... just a thought. You might be able to recover some files, depending on what method of compression you used, etc but still, risky.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I'd go for the external harddrive solution myself. Its fast, hot plugable and generally very safe. If you have a newer motherboard supporting SATA II then you could even have a regular SATA drive and hot plug that.

OP
Shpongled

Shpongled

News Junkie
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll go for the external hard drive thing and just hope for the best.

Stezo2k

S-2K
if you want a pretty cheap solution, you can always get a cheap dvd writer, the media for them is really cheap, you can get a pack of 25 8x DVD-R discs for £6 near me

as long as the discs are stored well you shouldn't lose any data

soccerboi00

Get a normal hard drive, then get a firewire harddrive connector, so it willl be cheaper than buying an external one

smcd

Stezo2k said:
if you want a pretty cheap solution, you can always get a cheap dvd writer, the media for them is really cheap, you can get a pack of 25 8x DVD-R discs for £6 near me

as long as the discs are stored well you shouldn't lose any data

Wow, here in the US near me it's still around 1/2£ a disc, do you have to pay VAC on top of that?

Clements

I can confirm Stezo2k's price. I got 25 8-Speed DVD-R discs for £5.99. External Hard drives on the other hand are more expensive here, about £1 per GB, so for an £76 80GB external drive you can buy a £40 NEC 3520 (just about the fastest DVD-Rewriter you can get) and 100 DVD discs to start you off.

As you probably all know, one single layer disc can hold 4.7GB (6-7 CDs worth), so most people won't need too many of these to back their stuff up. 14GB could fit on a few.