What's new

ATI Vs NVidia!

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
I have the cash for a brand new top video card but simply cant decide! Can anyone recommend between the Geforce 6800 and ATI X800 XT?

Also if you look at a picture of the 6800 it does not have a VGA socket??? How does this connect to my monitor?

Many thanks for your help if you can

Grant64

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
If you've got the cash, go for either an X800Xt or the 6800 ultra. Both are fantastic performers. It's really more about your personal preference and the features you want more than anything with those 2 cards. 6800 ultra's come with Dual DVI's, but they also come with DVI to VGA adapters. Mines came with 2 of them.

If you like Ati, get the X800xt. If you like Nvidia, get the 6800 ultra.

X800xT:
-supports 3dc(compression tech)
-Same R360 technology
-TA FSAA
-Still limited to 4kx2k textures sizes(petes ogl 2, Silent hill 3 PC, FFXI)
-single slot design
-requires 1 molex

6800 ultra:
-Shader Model 3
-Far more Hidden FSAA options than any video card(even more than Fx cards)
-Pure Super Sampling AA, Hybrid modes SS+MS, OGMS, RGMS, RGSS, OGSS.
-OGL performance
-Digital Vibrance(if you like it)
-4kx4k texture sizes
-2 slot design
-2 molex required(430w PSU recommended)

I don't think you can go wrong with either cards this generation. Although Nvidia recommends a 430w PSU for the 6800 ultra, if you've got a high quality PSU with a good 12v rail, it should be fine. I've seen people with 350w PSU running them without problems. Now if you wan't to overclock, then... ;)

Last edited:
OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
cheers five feet
I think i am gonna go fo the 6800! just always had a lot of luck with nvidia drivers

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
If you want to save some money, get a 6800 GT. Those can be overclocked to Ultra speeds quite easily from what I've seen with people who have the cards. Of course, the Ultra can overclock farther than them though.

I've got mines overclocked to 450/1.25 right now. 6800 UE speeds. ;)

smcd

If you don't want to have to buy a nuclear power plant to run the card, get an ATi, nVidia is outrageous in its requirements.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
sethmcdoogle said:
If you don't want to have to buy a nuclear power plant to run the card, get an ATi, nVidia is outrageous in its requirements.

Another person who does not know what he is talking about, the requirements given by NVIDIA were for OEM buyers who have shitty power supplys in their computers. A high Quality 300W odd psu will be fine, why would anybody want to skimp on one of the most important parts of the machine anyway? :icecream:

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Not to mention that Nvidia's 6800gt is a single molex single slot design with less power requirements.

The Dude

I like how the 6800 has Shader Model 3 support but I don't know of many games that will use it. So is it practical to choose the 6800 over the x800 just for Shader Model 3 support?

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Just for SM3 support? Depends. There is a good list of upcoming PC games which will be SM3 and the soon to be released 1.2 patch for Far Cry which will also use SM3 to some extent. I think you should really look at all the features and options you want. Not just 1 feature like SM3 or 3dc.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
If you're into emulation, the 6800 would probably be better, because of super sampled FSAA. No more jaggies with alpha textures.

Stezo2k

S-2K
The Geforce 6800 is more future proof, theres always an option to run it in SLI mode if you buy another one, meaning up to 100% more performence :)

While the X800 might be a better graphics card in some ways, the 6800 will benefit you more in the future

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
From what I heard, the X800 is a great card that will play HL2 great, but may come up short with some games released in the future. The 6800 won't play HL2 as well, but will last longer for future games. Me? I'm going for the 6800 likely next month.
- Modem

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
blizz said:
I can't find a Geforce 6800 for love nor money at the moment

You can find them online, but not many are out on retail outlet stores. Some of the Fry's stores seems to have 6800gt's in stock. Most if not all online vendors are on back order or still trying to fill long lists of preorders. :yawn:

I pre ordered mines on June 8th. Got the card on June 18th. ;)

flow``

flow``
there was a benchmark on hl2 ran not too long ago (forgot the site), but showed the 6800 doing a little better then the x800, though i wouldnt say one is better then the other since they are both very new hardware and the drivers arent near as optomized as they will be a few months from now

The Dude

I think I'm going to wait till there are more graphically intensive games before I upgrade. Right now I have a Radeon 9700 Pro so its not THAT bad of a card, atleast its DX9 compatible. :)

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
So what is the difference between the 6800, 6800 GT, and 6800 Ultra? The 6800 is the weakest, GT is mid grade, and Ultra is the best, right? I wish I didn't have to save up for a new car because I'd love to have one of these baby's under the hood of my computer.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
GogoTheMimic said:
So what is the difference between the 6800, 6800 GT, and 6800 Ultra? The 6800 is the weakest, GT is mid grade, and Ultra is the best, right? I wish I didn't have to save up for a new car because I'd love to have one of these baby's under the hood of my computer.

6800 NU
$299 MSRP
12x1 pipeline
325mhz core
700mhz memory
128MB DDR1 RAM
256-bit memory bus
Shader Model 3.0
Full hardware video encode/decode
AGP 8x
Single Slot
Single Molex