What's new

animal forest translation?

GMwizard

Would this help?

Hmm.... I'll see If I can help.

Let's see... Here's some Japanese that "may" be in the game:

1. Usually when you talk to people, they "would" usually say hello, this is the Japanese Translation of Hello :

konnichiwa.gif

Pronunciation - KONNICHIWA! / Translation - Hello

2. Some of the times, the people "MIGHT" want to ask questions, so that would require you to give an answer, it may be Yes or No ones too:

hai.gif

Pronunciation - HAI! / Translation - Yes

iie.gif

Pronunciatiion - IIE! / Translation - No

3. This next one would be alot easier, since the ones above were all hiragana, This next one I'm going to show you will be at the beginning of the game. Forest!!! - (It's a Kanji)

forest.gif

Pronunciation - !!! Mori !!! / Translation - Forest *( It's basically 3 trees )

4. Okay, Here's the last one:
The game has morning and night features, so you would likely see the word "Night" and "Morning"... Perhaps you might even see the word "Day"
Hm....

Okay, I'll draw all 3:

hi.gif

Pronunciation - HIE / Translation - Day *(As in Day 1, Day 2... etc.)

***I don't know the translations of Morning and Night, So I'll just draw the characters.: ***

This is morning:
morning.gif

This is night: *I drew really messy on this one.. :yucky:
night.gif

5. Well... I never noticed how strangely slanted, I write Japanese, but

anyways. That's my lesson of BASIC Japanese, hope that helped, Please respond if it does!

P.S: I'm a foreigner too, so I can only read basic hiragana, and Kanji.

Last edited:

IxthusTiger

Bill Trinen!!

Hey guys! I participated in Camp Hyrule this year and we got to chat with NOA Localization God Bill Trinen. He mentioned that the hardest game to localize was Animal Forest. "A bear of a project" were his exact words. It took his team NINE MONTHS to translate THOUSANDS of messages in that text-heavy game. I also had a chance to chat with him myself when he visited our cabin's chat room. He said that they had to change EVERYTHING because Doubutsu No Mori was so laden with Japanese culture. Furniture, Holidays, EVERYTHING needed to be changed for the American audience.

This gave me a real appreciation for their work, and wish you the best of luck Quvack!

P.S. PAPER MARIO 2 IS GOING TO RULE!!!

GMwizard

Ooohh!!!! Hmm.... Oh..... That's going to make it a lot harder....
But don't worry! If their team can do it, you could probably do it too!

Good luck Quvack!

Viper_Viper

Hey, when dalphin comes out with its next release, you could play the GC version and match the text right, because the only difference is the linking crap, right? or am i just out of my mind?

Quvack

GMWizard: hehe thanks for the lil tutotial with japanese, but I think I'm just gonna try using the GC script in the relevant parts for the N64 Version.

IxthusTiger said:
Hey guys! I participated in Camp Hyrule this year and we got to chat with NOA Localization God Bill Trinen. He mentioned that the hardest game to localize was Animal Forest. "A bear of a project" were his exact words. It took his team NINE MONTHS to translate THOUSANDS of messages in that text-heavy game. I also had a chance to chat with him myself when he visited our cabin's chat room. He said that they had to change EVERYTHING because Doubutsu No Mori was so laden with Japanese culture. Furniture, Holidays, EVERYTHING needed to be changed for the American audience.

Yeah its gonna be one real pain to get it to a playable/understandable state in english, I knew that from the start, and the original intention of hacking the game wasnt to fully translate it (stilll not confident if i'd be able to fully anyway). The original intention was just to get in some practice at hacking some roms up, I hadnt attempted anything for n64 before. I never promised I'd finish a translation, so we'll just see what happens, regardless I should be able to get a bit done without too much difficulty. Time will tell!

Viper_Viper: Yeah the GC version emulated would help a little with matching up some text and stuff, and I'll probably grab a copy of the GC version eventually. But at the moment theres other things I need to find before I can go too much further.

GMwizard

Happy Birthday Quvack!

hehehe...
I saw your name in the birthday list!

anyways, happy birthday!

*P.S: I can't break the rules, so I'll post something not Off Topic....

*How's the animal forest translation coming along?*

Quvack

thnx :)

i havent worked much on it lately, been way to busy with university and going out with friends, hacking a rom up a bit doesnt really have much priority, i'll get back into it a bit when Uni calms down a bit I guess, there isnt much more I can do at the moment anyhows without the GC version to compare with.

alexp2_ad

Quvack said:
thnx :)

i havent worked much on it lately, been way to busy with university and going out with friends, hacking a rom up a bit doesnt really have much priority, i'll get back into it a bit when Uni calms down a bit I guess, there isnt much more I can do at the moment anyhows without the GC version to compare with.

Good for you... hacking up ROMs is certainly not a priority in life...

GMwizard

I was searching on the net for some screenshots for the Animal Crossing Game, And I found a whole lot of screen shots that would be very useful! You can find them at some website called IGN where, they give reviews!

They give screenshots of the dialogs when you talk to people, which makes it alittle easier to hack the rom!

Anyways, do you have any 'specific' tools you use to hack the rom? I want to take part, and try this project too.

*It's still summer so I think I can try to at least get the intro done by the time summer ends. :(

So do you have any specific tools you use?

Quvack

GMwizard said:
I was searching on the net for some screenshots for the Animal Crossing Game, And I found a whole lot of screen shots that would be very useful! You can find them at some website called IGN where, they give reviews!

They give screenshots of the dialogs when you talk to people, which makes it alittle easier to hack the rom!

Anyways, do you have any 'specific' tools you use to hack the rom? I want to take part, and try this project too.

*It's still summer so I think I can try to at least get the intro done by the time summer ends. :(

So do you have any specific tools you use?

Screenshots are only useful to a certain extent, they dont show you were a certain piece of dialog belongs though.

Specific Tools? Ones especially made for hacking the rom? Kinda, just a few I've coded, but they arent of much use to anyone at the moment. I've already 'translated' all of the text in the introduction, but its a mess because I havent worked out how to change the default font size yet.

The tools that I'd mostly use are Hex Workshop and Nemu 0.8 thanks to its awesome debugger.

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
Nice work,Quvack...Keep it up,man....
By the way,is the internal clock works properly with u?I think it's not emulated cuz after saving and continuing the game u sould re adjust the time..

loopsider

it would be weird to see the game emulated because the japanese version had seperate menus for the japanese characters and a seperate menu for english characters, i wonder if that affected the game in any way.

Quvack

Pokemoner: I wouldnt say the internal clock is perfect, due to it not being emulated but it seems to work somewhat ok maybe a little off though, I havent spent a great deal of time into looking to how well that works.

loopspider: yeah translated it'll still have the Jap options there but it should still be ok to work around translation wise, I plan on changing it to show the english characters as the default selection eventually but thats something I still need to look into a bit.

I'll post something showing what my current progress is when I get a chance, I'm not home at the moment so I'm not totally sure of all I've done at the moment, I'll also try and post the things that I need to research further or get some help with.

wrench

hey once the nintendo ds is released surely someone sumwhere wil create a emulator fer it since its not 2 different from the n64 (graphic wise) and with it the new animal crossing game that is being released will be an english translated rom