What's new

animal forest translation?

MaximillionFace

I am currently trying to get in touch with the guy who handles my hosting about increasing my bandwidth so I can effectively mirror the patch.
We were good friends in college, so I should be able to get a good deal ;)

EDIT: BUG REPORT:

I went to try out the new character promotions, and upon trying type a period, the game froze. No error message, just no more frames were being drawn. The music kept going, though. Tried again later, and the same thing, when trying to type the letter "a". I don't know, but perhaps something you did in the current release broke the dial script, or maybe it's just the bulletin board that's broken.

Last edited:

Belmont1987

Lassen Belmont
Random question and I think I already know the answer but can the patch also take care of the visual glitch that makes most of the game screen black when you access the menu and such (Like when you dig into your pockets)

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
Random question and I think I already know the answer but can the patch also take care of the visual glitch that makes most of the game screen black when you access the menu and such (Like when you dig into your pockets)
Fun fact: most of the graphical gitches in the game (as well as the fact that the Famicom games don't work in emulators) were not our fault, nor Nintendo's; they occur because no emulator graphics plugin currently available properly emulates the graphics in this game.
Rice Video is the worst for this game, as almost all the graphics in the game are extremely glitchy in one way or another with that plugin.
One of the Jabo Direct3D plugins from Project64 has huge problems with the graphics of the town dump, as well.
For the best possible graphics for this game in an emulator, from my observations, I'd say use glN64.

Goemon_Guy

Aura_K, when I use glN64, the graphics are good, but going into the menu causes a box to appear. Then you have to choose from "opcodes" or something, I cant remember. Everytime you load the game, you have to do it again. I cant remember the correct opcode which corrects it.

Rakothurz

Teeny Tiny Problem

I just found a tiny problem.

I was delivering furniture(Part time job for nook) to Gaston and he keeps giving me furniture and telling me how to decorate my house over and over again.

Also is there anyway you can speed up the text or press B to quickly view all of it? If you could it would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

zoinkity

Sorry, no patch today. Lament

However, we have a couple people who will be mirroring the crazy patch. Next release will be a thousand times more available!

#_#

Ah, okay. There's a few different possible lines of text that could have started that off, but I'll look at all of them. Most likely, they branch to another line that was too long to load, so it keeps repeating them. I'll find the problem and fix it in the next patch.

Oh, there was a way to kill any line of text as well, but I can't remember off hand. Stupidly, I can't get to the documents just now...

You can hold A to advance text, but it will stop advancing when the game hits a 'pause' command. They use a lot of them, such as in .... That looks more like this in code:
Code:
.[pause 8].[pause 8].[pause 8]
Since text timers are used so prodigously, it can't really be disabled without causing some nasty problems.

+_+

Tee hee... I have a Dr.64 Jr, so I'm lucky enough to play the thing on console. I can assure you the boxes are only on emulators. Also, some other things like certain items, leaves, and whatnot look splendid on real hardware.
One person wrote and said that a full low-level emulator will process the microcode without problems, so if you have a computer whose cost can only be expressed as a power of 10, then you may be in luck. The newest glide isn't bad though.

Belmont1987

Lassen Belmont
Thanks Aura. I'll run a search for it (I use a lot of Project 64 because of the built in cheat code system that provides codes automatically when you load them).

Lesch

Just dropped by to thank you properly for everything you have accomplished so far. I'm actually impressed and I'm not impressed by much :flowers:

Also, I'd like to report an inconsistency between the places you're told to go (e.g. 1-2) and what the map reports (e.g. 1-B) Can this be improved?

Regards.

MaximillionFace

Fun fact: most of the graphical gitches in the game (as well as the fact that the Famicom games don't work in emulators) were not our fault, nor Nintendo's; they occur because no emulator graphics plugin currently available properly emulates the graphics in this game.
Rice Video is the worst for this game, as almost all the graphics in the game are extremely glitchy in one way or another with that plugin.
One of the Jabo Direct3D plugins from Project64 has huge problems with the graphics of the town dump, as well.
For the best possible graphics for this game in an emulator, from my observations, I'd say use glN64.
Actually, with a few hours of trial-and-error tweaking, I managed to get Rice's plugin to work near-flawlessly. I only tried glN64 for the first time today, and I think it looked better with Rice's plugin, for me. I even got the infamous "black box" to almost kind of work. You can see the character walking, like in AC, but you can still see where the box is, and there are lines through it.
My only problem with Rice now, is some textures are wrong.
For some reason I can't upload right now, but the first link there is a screencap of my menu screen, and the last three are my settings for the plugin.
I'm running a 1.4Ghz celeron processor and integrated intel mobile video. I still get a manageable framerate in the menu and full or near full FPS in game.
http://i42.tinypic.com/14c66wk.png
http://i39.tinypic.com/2nhj6tl.png
http://i40.tinypic.com/kchriw.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/11werg0.png

Last edited:

moogoomaster

Can anyone tell me why I get a "This page is not available." error when I try to get the current version of the patch?

Thanks and great work everyone!

son_bon123

A few things.

Hi,

Sorry it's been a while since I posted. I managed to patch my rom file and get it working which was great. I followed a video guide that someone had put up on AOL. I will try and find it again and post the link for any noobs like me who haven't got a clue.

I have played through just past Nooks 1st set of jobs and alls ok for me. Im using a desktop PC. However my girlfriend is also playing it through on her laptop and for some reason she can no longer access the inside of the houses. She could to begin with but now when she trys to enter the screen goes black and then a green dot appears in the center of the screen and the game freezes. I have yet to see if this happens on my game. Im guessing that she has done something in the game to trigger this event.

As for the website that someone suggested i may be able to help out there. I can probably sort out a free hosted website with some links/pics to the patch. The only worry is the legal side of things. Is the patch legal? Will Nintendo bust my ass for putting up images of the game on the site? Anyone know the deal??

Anyways take care and good work so far.

Aura_K

Doubutsu no Mori e+
As for the website that someone suggested i may be able to help out there. I can probably sort out a free hosted website with some links/pics to the patch. The only worry is the legal side of things. Is the patch legal? Will Nintendo bust my ass for putting up images of the game on the site? Anyone know the deal??

ROMs, emulation and patching have been legal gray areas for a very long time, however, Nintendo has shown that, quite honestly, they just don't care. If they wanted to, they could have hacking sites such as SMW Central, the Pokemon Community Forums, and even this one shut down in a second; heck, they could have had the recent Mother 3 fan translation completely destroyed in moments, but they don't bother. They really don't care, and this is no exception.

son_bon123

Website

Thanks for the reply. Ive been checking most days for a reply. I know the deal with the rom itself but wasn't sure the law regarding patchs etc. Im confident that I could build a site to provide links to the patch, guides, vids & screen shots but wouldn't be willing to provide a link or info on the ROM itself. I haven't got the balls or the paypacket to go up against Nintendo.

Like I said before the site would be one of the free sites and so it wouldnt be great but it would run well as a central place for peeps to visit regarding this patch. I would have thought that there are many people who visit this thread who could offer skills that out stretch my own but I just wanted to offer what I can.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I would start work on it but don't want to put anyones nose out of joint as Im quite new to this forum and have yet to conribute anything towards the patch itself.

zoinkity

Sorry, again no patch. Let's try to answer a few questions though

Also, I'd like to report an inconsistency between the places you're told to go (e.g. 1-2) and what the map reports (e.g. 1-B) Can this be improved?
Working on it. I also want to get it to spit out correct dates, not 1, 2, 3 for January, Febuary, March. It only requires slicing into the amazing quest generator. Abusive, but that's what makes it fun.

However my girlfriend is also playing it through on her laptop and for some reason she can no longer access the inside of the houses.
Uh huh... Wow. No clue. That's really crazy. If you could send a savestate to my email (it's in the readme - can't have the spambots see it here. They watch where you sleep) I'll try to get that one figured out. Maybe it made a room only one square large? No idea.

As for the legal-grey-area surrounding these games...
If you are distributing your own code, then there's no issue. Galloob-vs-Nintendo eventually muddled out that you can modify executable code at runtime without consent and, well, there's just not much that can be done about it. Obviously distributing copyrighted material you own no copyright for is an issue though, and since so much of this text is basically Animal Crossing it could be an issue. Technically all the menus and whatnot are not theirs but translated, and the documentation scary enough proves the case of what is and is not their existing work.
Truth be told though, Nintendo does crack down on people who step over the line. I know of a fellow who had N64 technical docs that outlined some patented hardware and had it removed at Nintendo's request. I also know that they are perfectly aware of the Goldeneye Editor (I can view the Vault and its IP logs), and if you go through the IP logs here, you'll probably see plenty of stuff.
The clincher is that Wii hacking carries on at all. They have already made and uploaded a patch to that console that would kill any system using modified channels, yet have not activated it. Obviously, it is a warning not to cross the line and start something malicious.

So, what it boils down to is that, for the most part, they don't care. if anything, it drums up business. They know perfectly well that everyone who sits around on this forum (myself excluded) has probably already been hooked into the game's license and owns half a dozen copies of the other AC titles. I got a japanese AF on ebay and dumped it myself, thank you very much Mr. NARC.

Rakothurz

Website

I have some umm experince in making websites with Dreamweaver (A abode website making tool) The only problem is I don't have it and it costs way too much to buy ($200 US if I remember and it kinda doubles since im australian) So yeah.

What would be really cool is if you could make a tool that allows you to modify your town (a.k.a make the town of your dreams) by deciding where to put rivers and stuff and one that can modify your characters facial features.

Also is there anyway you could change people with Guy names wearing dresses and such? I've got a bear calling Groucho wearing a dress. Not cool.

Keep up the good work =]

Last edited:

son_bon123

Ok well Im happy with that. I will start work on the site over the next few days. Please don't get your hopes up. As I keep pointing out im not a pro. All I know is self taught and that isn't much lol. However it will be usefull to put all the reasources in one place. I won't mind if anyone comes up with something better & if Nintendo does request that it be removed I will do so without a fight (after Ive changed my pants).

As for the save state. I will get that to you as soon as possible. Im not at home & the laptop is.

Thanks for the replys. Keep up the good work.