What's new

AMD Athlon 2200+ - Dodgy Hot Processor!!

DanioJ

I have an annoying problem with my XP 2200+

I have it running on an ASUS A7V333 which has overheat protection.

The system starts fine, however very shortly after the cpu temerature begins to rise. When I play a game or so which requires increased cpu work the board protection kicks in and resets the system.

I had it back to the supplier as I thougt it was a problem with the chip, they replaced it, and the new one did the same.

The only thing I found to be able to get the thing stable is have a deskfan at it, with the side of the case off.

Upon looking into it, aprently the 2200 is at the top end of that part of AMD architecture and runs hot. I wouldnt have bought this chip if id have known.

Has anyone else with a 2200+ had this problem? Dodgy eh? :getlost:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Get a decent heatsink;)

No heat problems with my 2700+ and the slk-800 on it. Also do you have any case fans?

OP
DanioJ

DanioJ

DanioJ said:
Upon looking into it, aprently the 2200 is at the top end of that part of AMD architecture and runs hot. I wouldnt have bought this chip if id have known.

Like I said, the chip you have does run cooler, as I understand it it is slightly different architecture isnt it?

I do have case fans, intake over the processor and an exhaust at the top near the psu.

Can you recommend a good heatsink and fan? :) And also a decent case ???

OP
DanioJ

DanioJ

Cool, what about the hetsink and fan?

and how many of those fans do you have, Im just going to buy them and the case and see if it gets any better!!!

Oh also, can you get 3 hdd's in that case as well? :akuma:

OP
DanioJ

DanioJ

Ill settle for silent and cool ... which will allow my system to run without the side of the damn case off and making a racket!!

That heatsink btw rob is damn loud!! -- you can't have a quiet system!!

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
I had the same problem with an older AMD chip myself... I used to have a deskfan pointed at mine 24/7 too. Until I got tired of looking at the 0.5-cm layer of dust that had built up on all the sys components ;)

Anyway, my suggestion is you pick up a tube of Arctic Silver 3 along with whatever HS you choose. The stuff works miracles on heat for the price. Of course, if you opt for a liquid-nitrogen setup, it really isn't necessary. Then again, owning a freezer won't be either, as you can just store groceries in your case.

A little off-topic...The rumor is that AMD overclocks the chips themselves to keep up with Intel's speed but without the cost of R & D. Thus, heat. When I went to choose between Intel and AMD for my new PC, I did a little research and found that any money I saved buying AMD I would probably have to spend buying a better HS and Fan. Naturally, I went with Intel and a stock setup. It's worked out well. I've never cracked 50 degrees C (125ish F) once, even under gaming loads.

gamefreaks

If you are having heat problems and simply can't live with the noise of a better cooler, try selling your XP2200+ and buying a TBredB version of the same CPU. Since they use a lower voltage, they run cooler.

You can find out what type of chip you have (TBredA or TBredB) by looking at the numbers on top of the chip.

Look for a good tech site that explains the stepping codes.