What's new

ALERT!!!! trojans in chankast

Status
Not open for further replies.

n00by duddy

Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 with latest database detects trojans in allmost ALL components of the chankast emulator, including the vmu browser

they're all variants of a same trojan known as Trojan.Win32.Vapsup

the fact almost all components of chankast have a different variant of the same trojan eliminates the possibility of a false positve

So is that it? The chankast emulator authors have screwed us and disappeared like that? Great job!

clip5y.jpg

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
5 false positives in the same folder? wow I must be a lucky man

You should go buy a lottery ticket!

You really think those guys took the time, years ago mind you, to make an awesome working Dreamcast emulator so they could spread a virus?? And it's just now finally getting hit by the anti-virus programs? Boy Kaspersky must be a really good AV package considering it only took it 4EVER to detect it.

Your either stupid or naive. I'm personally never like this to other users but your asinine comment has gotten the better of me.

FYI, Avast, NOD32, or AVG detect any viruses in my installed copy. :p

OP
N

n00by duddy

it's not a virus idiot, it's a trojan

a trojan allows to steal private infos like email login/pass, credit cards infos, etc...
so yes it makes sense to include this in a program that will be popular

and an AV program taking years to identify a malware is nothing uncommon idiot

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
it's not a virus idiot, it's a trojan

a trojan allows to steal private infos like email login/pass, credit cards infos, etc...
so yes it makes sense to include this in a program that will be popular

and an AV program taking years to identify a malware is nothing uncommon idiot

ok, chill, sorry for the "stupid or naive" comment, but do you really hear what your saying in that first post?

Do you really think the Chankast authors themselves are the ones responsible though as you seem to point out in your first post? And with as many users as Chankast has had over the years it's just now being identified as a trojan?

I don't buy it. As said it's most likely a false positive or the particular download you have maybe has been circumvented possibly. I also ran Spybot S&D on my copy and come up with nothing.

And your right, by definition a trojan is not a "virus", but the point being they are both malicious in their intent.

OP
N

n00by duddy

sorry i've been rude

I think I explain in first post the reason why I don't think it's false positive

there are 5 files in chankast folder reported as 5 diff variants of same trojan
what are the chance of them all being false positives , 0.000000001% maybe?

either that or there is one huge bug in the latest kaspersky database...
which is possible as I see several false positive reports related to this one trojan (and variants)

sorry for the hassle

Xtreme2damax

Are you downloading from the official site? Downloading anywhere else you risk downloading a copy that has malware embedded into it. As mentioned the developers themselves wouldn't embed malware into the emulator, so if it was downloaded from the official site it is definitely false positives due to crappy heuristics that triggered the false positives after an update to your anti-virus software.

I'm also interested to know why people still try using Chankast to play games considering it hasn't been in active development for quite a few years, the project itself seems pretty much abandoned.

It also has poor compatibility, game breaking bugs, sound issues, graphics issues, poorer performance than much newer and better Dreamcast emulators such as NullDC, Makeron, and Demul which has fixed most of the problems that existed in Chankast.

OP
N

n00by duddy

everyone here stop using chankast damn it

chankast = trojan = will steal your email password credit card etc...

OP
N

n00by duddy

If it was a real trojan... but it isn't, it was a false positive. :p

impossible there are 5 trojans in chankast folder
do you realize how ridiculous to pretend there are 5 false negatives in same folder?

I think you people don't realize how serious the situation is

Go and run chankast if you don't care about all your email and password and credit card stolen, have fun

Toasty

Sony battery
There are three possibilities:
  1. Your anti-virus is giving you false positives. This is thoroughly possible, as most emulators contain self-modifying code that can look evil to some heuristics.
  2. You got the emulator from a site other than the official one, in which case it may well be infected with malware.
  3. Some other malware on your computer has infected the emulator program files.
The last release of the emulator was over five years ago, and believe me, if there was malware included in it, it would have been discovered a long, long time ago. That said, if you don't want to use Chankast, don't. It's been surpassed by other emulators as the others have already said.

Clements

False positive. AntiVir comes up with nothing. I suggest you put faith in more than one virus scanner as they're far from perfect on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.