What's new

Acess Violation Error

natoodo

Hi. I am using Project64 v1.6 to emulate several different roms. In each i get the same error so often that i really cant play anything. Attached is a photo of the error. My graphics are a Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator on a Intel® Desktop Board D945GPM.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Do you by any change have either an integrated graphics chip or a very old video card?

If you do, use Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
using vista it looks like which forces all Dx8 code into Dx9 shaders, which his chip probably doesn't even support.

mudlord

Banned
using vista it looks like which forces all Dx8 code into Dx9 shaders, which his chip probably doesn't even support.
''

:alien:

Please think and research first before you say such things.

squall_leonhart

i suggest you actually do your research, as WINDOWS VISTA CONVERTS ALL VERSIONS OF DIRECT 3D BELOW 9 INTO DIRECT 3D 9 DYNAMIC SHADERS (also known as layering over DX9, this is also how the Opengl 1.1 implementation also works in vista.)

this is why you can't run DirectX 7 or 8 games in vista, unless you have a Dx9 compliant card. and why all support for anything below Radeon 9xxx and Geforce 5xxx is dropped

(trust me, my source is microsoft MVP's, they know more about it then we do)

Last edited:

the master 123

I assume you using the gma 950(or something close like an ati radeon express 200 series or some other intergrated graphics card). I can't find any info on the chipset though. If you use use framebuffer option in advance that(in my experience with the gma 950) would remove all of it. My nvidia geforce 7400 go doesn't have this problem. the gma 950 support direct 9. i know it support pixel shader 2 but no vertex shader.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]With a powerful 400MHz core and DirectX* 9 3D hardware acceleration, Intel® GMA 950 graphics provides performance on par with mainstream graphics card solutions that would typically cost significantly more.

can we sue for false advertisement?
[/FONT]

mudlord

Banned
WINDOWS VISTA CONVERTS ALL VERSIONS OF DIRECT 3D BELOW 9 INTO DIRECT 3D 9 DYNAMIC SHADERS (also known as layering over DX9, this is also how the Opengl 1.1 implementation also works in vista.)

this is why you can't run DirectX 7 or 8 games in vista, unless you have a Dx9 compliant card. and why all support for anything below Radeon 9xxx and Geforce 5xxx is dropped

(trust me, my source is microsoft MVP's, they know more about it then we do)

Its good then you have a valid source. Of course they know more about it since they are the authors of the method! I'm not in the mood, to however debate endlessly over minor details as layering and how Vista's DWM works. :saddam: Lets just drop this, and move on, shall we?

Samurai Snack

PJ64 Cheat Master
Just so you know, you're arguing about Mudlord here stating that you need to do your research.

I like watching arguements here on Emutalk. They happen so frequently too.

mudlord

Banned
Just so you know, you're arguing about Mudlord here stating that you need to do your research.

I like watching arguements here on Emutalk. They happen so frequently too.

No need to keep bringing it up when the parties involved now have buried the hatchet, so to speak....:batman:

We all make mistakes anyway all the time.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Arguments is one of the main reasons I restricted my posting habits. :p
It's definitely no fun to say something and having a dozen of people claiming that "you're wrong because you are wrong and I'm right".
The worse part is when someone goes off limits and a moderator has to take action... Warning a user results on claims of power abuse and other similar stuff (threats, flaming, etc.).

Anyway, let's try to stick on topic now. OK?

Most of the "access violation" errors I've encountered so far occur because of CPU overheating. Pentium 4 CPUs can get quite hot with stock cooling. Cheap PC cases with "bad" air flow can make things even worse.

i945 chipsets come with the GMA 950 GFX chip. It might be a bad GFX solution but it has all the necessary features for N64 emulation... excluding plugins that use OpenGL as GFX API of course.
I highly doubt that the GFX chip is the cause of the problem.

Last edited:

the master 123

I doult it overheating. I use a the a similar chipset(i945gm notebook) an have access violation knowing the cpu is cool(intel duel core yonah) when use my intergrated card(similar card to his if not the same) some games have this on my computer(windows xp) The framebuffer option remove a lot of this. this isn't vista working I ran that on my computer which has windows xp and the chipset with that graphic card and had an acess violation errors I know my processor was cool enough. I check an this remove the errors. it should do the same on you computer.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

the problem the master, is that pentium 4 chips can overheat at low temperatures due to an inefficient design in the core.

the master 123

Well the thing is is that my processor was not overheating and i had got the message with the same game and a similar chipset. I am fully aware of how inefficinet the netburst(pentium 4) is. I have done benchmark with 7-zip and compare it to a 2.8 ghz pentium 4(northwood) with my processor have a much better score despit a 1ghz favor to the pentium 4. iF anything my processor run hotter than my sister and parent computer(average parent temp 30-40C my 40-50C) but the cooling is better(1" computer 13"screen size) compare to the parent desktop. My parent use a celeron d @3.3 stock speed. I'm not say that it isn't overheating I just suggestion he try that option as it might be the integrate graphics doing it.

Last edited:

the master 123

I do believe it is the gfx if my processor wasn't at fault on my computer(no overheating or any other issue) then why would my intel card the same he has(or similar) have the access violations where it isn't present with my dedicated card(card in sig).