What's new

About 1964 speed..

samura

There is a tremendous speed diference ( at least for me :) ) between Pj64,nemu and 1964. Is there something that 1964 is better than others, i mean core, interpreter, rsp or are 1964 graphics faster and therefore less acurate?
Just like to know because when I use it feels like it's not my own computer ;). Meanwhile, 1964 still on the top!!

Rice

Emulator Developer
1964 is using the same graphics plugins from PJ64, and its core is generally faster than PJ64. But when you are looking at speed, you should look at many thing. For example, PJ64 is using RSP LLE for audio, so audio is a little slower in PJ but more accurate.

I think the most important things in 1964 are the way to simulate r4300i memory access and TLB simulation, the way 1964 is doing is much faster.

And 1964's core is also faster than Nemu 0.7 because Nemu is not using register caching, well 1964 and PJ64 are using it. It gives big performance increase.

Rice

Emulator Developer
The whole emulation in 1964 should be very accurate, otherwise how to get so high compatibility.

schibo

Emulator Developer
most of my focus for 2 out of the 3 years working on 1964 has been on core speed. Rice's implementation of memory protection, block linking, and tlb also helps speed tremendously.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Yes, we all appreciate the speed the wonderful authors of 1964 have put into it :)
Great works, guys!:p

Rice

Emulator Developer
I am sorry that I did not state clearly enough in my earlier post. What I was trying to say is that 1964 is faster than PJ is because of the faster memory access and better TLB.

To ask the question why 1964 is faster in general, I would like to givea much more complete answer here.

Yes, 1964 is much newer than Nemu 0.7 and TR64, it is supposed to run faster. We have two people, Schibo and Rice, working hard and focus on emu core only, applying the fastest methods, doing the most optimization, so come out the latest 1964 than can run games faster than other emus.

- Register caching and constant caching
- 32bit core supports
- 4KB block linking
- Advanced analysis of jumping and targeting
- Optimized main loop
- Fast TLB emulating
- Fast memory accessing
- Very efficient way to detect self-modify code by using protected memory together with fast memory access
- Very efficient way to handle timer event and exceptions

We have put tremendious amount of working on each things above, and we are very happy to be able to finally offer N64emu lovers a very fast and stable engine to play wonderful N64 games.

Always thanks Zilmar, Jabo, Azimer, Icepir8, F|Res and all other emu authors than have been helping 1964 along the way, thanks the wonderful PJ64 project and Azimer's audio plugins, without them, you will not see the beatiful graphics, will not hear wonderful audio no matter how fast 1964 can run.

Tesla-Guy

long post :) in the end i presume you were a bit tired cauz it's zilmar and icepir8 <=-=- how would it then be pronounced? "iceightpir" :p and beautiful :p:p:p d00d i'm not trying to laugh at you i'm just pointing out your mistakes. we don't want n00bs start mispelling and mispronouncing names again, ok... Rise? ;)

Last edited:

Eddy

I Run This
Well 1964 0.8 + next version of glide + 1964ogl + azimer new sound + stuff, coooool. Btw Rice, i have been TRYING to implement this in 1964 with the prerelase source code, but im learning how to code c++. Well to be straight to the point, i read in the nemu forum, of a plugin structure, called ToolPlugins, which do things that the emulator cant do. Kind of a plugin for minor tasks that writers dont deal with, like a file that writes teh settings in a .dat file for example, and send them to another person, to mimic your settings. I have been trying to pull it off with no success. Ever thought of a plugin like that? There would be gfx, sound, controller, netplay, and the "stuff" plugin.

rob in london

amiga nut
Remote said:
Then what should we call you, cousin it?
i think he meant tesla, not telsa instead of another name, probably(?) has to do with Nikola Tesla who i think was one of the greatest scientific geniuses of all time, from what little i know about him, is this right Tesla-Guy?

Last edited:

rob in london

amiga nut
yeah but its called a tesla coil because it was nikola tesla who invented it

(tk64 i fixed it, thnx)

Last edited: