What's new

AAC vs MP3 vs Others

Which audio codec do you use when storing your music?

• AAC / Apple Lossless

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • WMA / WMA Lossless 9

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MP3

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • FLAC / OGG / Other

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

sheik124

Emutalk Member
just wondering, what format do you guys (and girls) use to store your music?? personally i use AAC for most of my music, and Apple Lossless for some of the rock that sounds bad when compressed to like 128 kbps.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
guess i should've made it clear what i use. most of my music is 192 Kbps AAC, rest is AAC VBR, usually around 240-260 kbps, and Apple Lossless

smcd

For me, it largely depends on what OS i am currently running. In windows, it'll be either WMA or 192kbps CBR mp3. In linux, it's ogg...

Allnatural

I use ogg, since I don't have any portable devices to worry about, and ogg just sounds better to me.

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Allnatural said:
I use ogg, since I don't have any portable devices to worry about, and ogg just sounds better to me.
most people ask why i use AAC (or anything else for that matter) over MP3 and i just say it sounds better to me. sound quality is all subjective, it depends on your ears and what sounds best to you.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
For the moment, I keep everything in 56k mp3. Sounds good enough for me :p I just really haven't bothered with ogg yet... but really, I should.
/smacks self.

Cyberman

What format do I use?

I use Ogg Vorbis because I compress all my video information into OGM. More important OGG just is so much better sounding. They have much better psycho acustic compression, and it handles Variable Bit Rate compression better. All in all it's just better period.

I also rip my CD's to OGG using GRIP. That about sums things up huh? :)

Cyb - ACK I posted!

-Shadow-

Banned
I use VBR up to 320kbps, but some music sounds bad if it's encoded with mp3, for those tunes, i use WMA lossless or OGG vorbis.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Doomulation said:
For the moment, I keep everything in 56k mp3. Sounds good enough for me :p I just really haven't bothered with ogg yet... but really, I should.
/smacks self.

56kbps MP3 ? Are you nuts?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Nope. Sounds perfectly fine to me! :) :p
Besides, my system won't allow conversion to a higher quality. Might have some bad codecs installed.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I don't know about MP3s but some neighbours shouting and putting the volume of their music very high can certainly damage your ears, brain or whatever more than MP3's :p

-Shadow-

Banned
blight said:
Did you know that listening to MP3 (and other lossfully compressed audio) can damage your ears/brain?
Unfortunately the article is in german: http://users.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~windle_c/Logologie/MP3-Gefahr/MP3-Gefahr.html

The text says that this lossful Compression method can produce unhearable noises that are harmful for ears/brain, they aren't sure about it, but they say it's precariously. Until it's clarified if lossful sound compression is really harmful for ears/brain, digital television will be held back for Germany.

I myself don't believe in it, i listen to mp3 encoded music/sound since years, and im still hearing well.

deftonesmx17

Perfect Emu Hunter
i use mp3 VBR up to 320kbps, the real reason why other codecs may sound better is because of the decoder. thompson MP3pro codec works like a champ, i can compress all the way down to 64kbps and still have minimal loss, but if the file is played without the mp3pro codec and just a standard one it sounds bad

Last edited:

matthew

i usually back up to mp3 but thats because of cross compatability
i'd prefer to use ogg if ogg didn't sound so plop in windows

My main OS is linux but my sister uses Windows so transfering files means that Ogg sounds rubbish in windows with windows media player
whereas mp3 sounds good in both windows and linux

OP
sheik124

sheik124

Emutalk Member
-Shadow- said:
The text says that this lossful Compression method can produce unhearable noises that are harmful for ears/brain, they aren't sure about it, but they say it's precariously.
simple, keep all your music in something huge, like Apple Lossless, FLAC, or PCM :p