What's new

A suggestion, to Martin and Smiff

Rice

Emulator Developer
I guess we should limit post per threads, to lower the number of posts in each of the hotest thread, like PJ64 beta1 thread or 1964 beta testing thread.

Too many people to access such big threads at the same time (for example, over 90 people are accessing PJ64 beta testing thread which has over 100 posts) could easily overload the server.

We can actually use multiple thread insteads of one big thread.

Rice

Martin

Administrator
We actually replied to this earlier, but Smiff deleted the post for some odd reason. /me smacks Smiff on head.

Well, the idea could be to close those huge threads and start new ones, as one of you suggested. I think that'll work fine. :D

Smiff

Emutalk Member
just doing my bit for the server.... (it needs all the help it can get)

;)

Sorry Rice i screwed up, it got the date wrong so thought my repy was first and eerurughh never mind

LefterisD

Suggestions huh? Ok, first of all remove the zip file support from the attachments because somebody might upload a virus.

Second, make the posts per page not to be more than 10, that way each page will load faster(and easier for the database).

Finally, that 30 second limit seems to last longer! Can you check it?
I hope those are good ones.

Martin

Administrator
LefterisD said:
Suggestions huh? Ok, first of all remove the zip file support from the attachments because somebody might upload a virus.

Second, make the posts per page not to be more than 10, that way each page will load faster(and easier for the database).

Finally, that 30 second limit seems to last longer! Can you check it?
I hope those are good ones.

1. Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't noticed that, since the board being new, and me being unused to it. Only images and text files are allowed from now on. :)

2. That's a good idea, will set it to 10. If that's too little, let me know. :alien:

3. 30 second limit on what? 30 seconds between each posts? I could set it to 20, that wouldn't be that long, but more importantly, it wouldn't feel that long. It would only feel like 30 seconds, I assume. That depends on how addicted you are to Emutalk, I suppose. :D

/me throws a beer to Smiff

Witten

Emulator Developer
a max of 10 posts ??? , hasn't that been discussed in iB?

10 posts created to many pages per thread, remember!

Martin

Administrator
Aight, I'll set something in between then. :)

Update: I've set it to 15. That should do fine considering the server is doing pretty well so far.

blizz

Martin said:

3. 30 second limit on what? 30 seconds between each posts? I could set it to 20, that wouldn't be that long, but more importantly, it wouldn't feel that long. It would only feel like 30 seconds, I assume. That depends on how addicted you are to Emutalk, I suppose. :D

/me throws a beer to Smiff

it does indeed feel like too long, also it's fine for most people on dial up but not for those of us on something faster

there isn't any need to remove zip support for attached files, only stupid people run programs from untrusted sources before virus scanning them, and since they'd be inside a zip file they're effectively sandbagged anyway

Bobbi

NGEmu guy
Administrator
Well, welcome to vB now ... as you might know, this board is now using mySQL and PHP as backend. What's so special about this ?

The old board (iB3) used DBI, a very slow and bad programmed database. You're now using mySQL, with load balancing, a great access system and much more. But what does this actually have to do with this thread ?

If you're viewing a two pages thread with 30 posts, or a 100 pages thread with 1500 posts, that doesn't matter ! No matter how big the thread overall is, the board only loads 15 posts at a time, no matter how big the thread overall is. Therefor, it's not really of any use to limit threads to a certain amount of posts (not sure how this should work anyway) and it wouldn't help the server.

15 posts is the default and should be kept ... best way between speed and good ressource management. The delay between posting is on purpose, it avoids the possibility to pull down the board with flooding utilities - very useful, belive me. You should NEVER set it below 20 !

Much fun with the new forum,

Bobbi

LefterisD

First of all,
Martin: I don't consider 30 seconds to be a long time, I timed it and it took over 60 seconds until I could post.

Bobbi: If you check the Ikonboard website you will see that the latest beta has mySQL support.

That is good because it is far better than the system used in IB2 with the text database.
I was trying to make this post for 15 minutes. The pages wouldn't load...

Martin

Administrator
Bobbi: Cheers for the tech lesson. :)

LefterisD: We've been trying the last few days to convert the old DBM database to MySQL using our old iB3. And it didn't work. Now I hardly have any hair left. ;)

About that 60 seconds before you could post: I suppose you're referring to the spam limit? Because there's no way it would take 60 seconds until the post would show up after you had pushed submit reply. If it did, check your 2400 baud modem being set to full throttle.

blizz

mySQL and PHP is the defacto standard, ikonboard3 gold will probably be the mySQL and PHP version too, the major problem I had with Ikonboard3 was that it is a bandwidth eater when there are other boards out there which do the same thing for less bandwidth, Ikonboard and vBulletin are effectively the same to the end user, but I prefer Ikonboards page formatting

also what happened to the pop-ups? can the current banner pay for the board?

Bobbi

NGEmu guy
Administrator
blizz said:
mySQL and PHP is the defacto standard, ikonboard3 gold will probably be the mySQL and PHP version too (...)

mySQL and PHP is standart ... if iB3 will use it, I doubt it as that'd require them to port all their Perl code ... and looking how difficult it was to get a fucking easy conversion done, how many hours it took Martin, Wormie, Aprentice and myself trying to get past these stupid bugs ... I assure you that woukdn't have happened with clean code or directly a real board - like VB !

the major problem I had with Ikonboard3 was that it is a bandwidth eater when there are other boards out there which do the same thing for less bandwidth.
A board with 250 users online average and over between 500 and 1000 posts a day takes less than 15 GB bandwidth a month (most of that being images) ... which bandwidth are you talking about ?!? the only difference could be some lousy bytes which vB has programmed better (which it doesn't have as it's keeping Netscape and opera compatible with lots of extra code).

Ikonboard and vBulletin are effectively the same to the end user, but I prefer Ikonboards page formatting
Good joke ... iB is a (not really good) copy of VB in my opinion ... for the end user, VB is currently faster, easier to use and has more features. For the server owner, it's less stress as it runs on it's own, easier to administrate and cheaper to run (no need for such a big ass server a big iB3 board would require). In my opinion, vB currently simply is the best solution out there for a Bulletin board system, that's what everyone who started using it came to as well earlier or later, and you hopefully will as well.

Enjoy it,

Bobbi

blizz

all boards will eat bandwidth but Ikonboard3 likes to eat more than most boards, ikonboard basically isn't very efficient, (which for a beta isn't surprising ;) )

admin wise practically anything is better than ikonboard, moderating was pretty easy in it, but the actual admin control panel was a complete mess and incrediably buggy too

there are loads of security issues with ikonboard too

I'll see how it goes, as long as there isn't a similar recurrance of that ikonboard error message then it's cool

... I still miss my post count :cry: (this being my real motivation in all of this ;) )

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
Or if you know what you are doing you could take a real crappy board and make it sweet. :D

I am no longer using ib3 either because of the problems we dealt with ... so I went back to using phpbb ... but it has been heavily modified and intergrated into my site so it uses the same user base, which means users only have to register once to use the site features and message board. Almost everything about it has been changed ... I actually like it better then ib3 ... even though it is lacking some features, but those will come in time when I find some time to make them. Also I prefere a clean board and I personaly think vB is ugly ... just my opinion.

Ok here is that board I was talking about ... *Shameless Plug*
http://www.psxfanatics.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpbb&file=index

blizz

acutally the only thing that really annoys me right now is that the post reply and start a new thread buttons are too damm close together

oh and the date format is american which is annoying as it makes no sense when you first look at it,

Last edited:

aprentice

re: smiff helping server

I really dont think your helping the server by transfering 1 gig of bandwidth in just refreshs, and uploaded 100posts*3000wordsperpost/1024bytes in a kilobit = 292MB of post data. I think we should charge you a 10 dollar membership fee for posting on emutalk,

Your new Admin(j/k),
Aprentice:D

Zero

Liar Liar Pants On Fire!
LOL :p but Smiff helps a lot of people out by answering they're questions I think people like having Smiff around because all the things he knows ain't I right ???