What's new

A question about performances...

AndreaSpooky

hi

im about to change my video card (ati9500pro) for a better 9800pro and im wondering how much chankast will get benefit from it.
i know chankast seems more cpu than vidcard dependant, but id like to know if and how much im gonna have better performances since ive got strangely lower performances than certain configuration ive seen around here.

ive got an athl3000 with pc3200 banks and i can get only 40-45 fps in soul calibur.

id like to know if someone can post their performance changings from a vidcard to another.

tnx in advance

aika-san

You probably won't get any better framerate as you already have a fairly good graphics card. If you want to improve your framerate, get a faster cpu or overclock the one you have. Chankast makes heavy use of the cpu, so faster is better

You can also try overclock/underclock the dreamcast sh4. Some people get a bit more performance by doing this. Read the manual for instructions on how to do it.

Either that or wait for the next version of Chankast, because future versions of Chankast will be most likely optimized for greater speed improvements.

Strange

Really, its not because of your video... But fps is really low for 3000+ - maybe you playing from CD?

OP
AndreaSpooky

AndreaSpooky

BountyJedi said:
thats the same for me and im using 9800pro heck its even faster for you!

wth ^_^

at this point i must think is about mem speed... cant be surely about mobo (nforce 2)
got some crap "Elixir" banks timed to 3-3-8...
guess its due that then...

Last edited:
OP
AndreaSpooky

AndreaSpooky

Strange said:
Hmmm, what? If you are playing from CD then slow speeds is normal for that, try to play from image... Hmm my memory working at 6-3-3-3...

nono i mean from VIRTUAL cd sorry :blush:

nothing...

updated dx to 9.0b to c
updated nforce audio drivers (just them, guess other ones are useless...)
even changed ram delay from 8 to 6 (it works^^)

game still run from 40 to 48... no more :bye3:

Last edited:

Strange

Really interesting... Maybe you should try to "pay" with video driver options...
And try to update all nForce chipset drivers by installing nForce drv pack...

OP
AndreaSpooky

AndreaSpooky

Strange said:
Really interesting... Maybe you should try to "pay" with video driver options...
And try to update all nForce chipset drivers by installing nForce drv pack...

what u mean "pay"? :whistling

low settings?

Strange

Hmm, really not sure, but i just can`t understand why your fps is so low... Maybe OS reinstalling will help :p

eggo

Some Guy
Sometimes running games from your cdrom drive can have a "skippy" fps, so it might just be your cdrom drive's fault, I know it happens to me sometimes when I play PC games.

BountyJedi

os reinstalling arghh dont mentin that nasty word (windows installers i hate them =P )

well another reason might be my need to reformart and the need to back up 2-dvd's of data (least...) and the lack of dvd+r's in my house =p though a burner is present

OP
AndreaSpooky

AndreaSpooky

no, i wont format anything just because of chankast... the only thing where performances are under expectations, since people can run it better than me with same config.

all other things i have, games, benchmarks have results in line with my configuration.

im wondering now... is it possible chankast to have better performances with nvidias cards than atis?

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
i think its the other way round, mainly as ati cards havent got the polygon bug found in phantasy star online and sonic adventure 2, so more games will be compatible

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Mem timings really affect Chankast in a big way. I'm running my 2x256MB Crucial Dual Channel @ 2-2-2-5, 345MHz, and Chankast flies. If I up that to 3-3-3-8, there's a huge performance hit (I benched it last night :p).

Getting about 107FPS during the Dreamcast Swirl. :phone:

Strange

Hmm, my memory working at 3-3-3-6, i think what his the same...
If I up that to 3-3-3-8, there's a huge performance hit
Performanca hit? - in which way? - by downclocking your memory you can`t get any more speed ;)
p.s One more time - what happened with your P4?

Last edited:

hazuki0406

Either that or wait for the next version of Chankast, because future versions of Chankast will be most likely optimized for greater speed improvements.

Really????I too excited to wait.......

euphoria

Emutalk Member
You could be running low on memory.
Also make sure you're not running any unnecessary tasks in the background, like virus-scanner, firewall, anything like that