What's new

A question about memory

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Hey I just got my self a 256MB DDR333 Ram

My motherboard only support DDR266 but I decided to get a DDR333 because its backwards compatible and it has the same price as DDR266.

Did I make the right decision about this? Would DDR 266 run better on my system?

I can still switch the memory in 7 days,

Thanks in advance

ra

(specs in sig)

EDIT
by the way my old hard drive failed to boot yesterday and I lost all my data, roms, movies games extra.... Lucky I still got my warranty and took the hard drive for an exchange ... I want to cry.....:cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

My motherboard only support DDR266 but I decided to get a DDR333 because its backwards compatible and it has the same price as DDR266.

Did I make the right decision about this? Would DDR 266 run better on my system?

Not 100% certain of this, but even if it isn't a definative answer it is still a bump of this topic up so that others can answer.

AFAIK there should be no advantage/disadvantage of using the DDR333 instead of the DDR266. If anything it may have an advantage in so far that due to it being more accepting of overclocking etc, or just less affected by heat in general.

by the way my old hard drive failed to boot yesterday and I lost all my data, roms, movies games extra.... Lucky I still got my warranty and took the hard drive for an exchange ... I want to cry.....

I've experienced that pain also - lost around 20GBs of various data. I have now learned my lesson to backup backup backup! The biggest loss I experienced was a save file for Planescape Torment, when I was around 80% through the game :( D'oh

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The 333 mhz would perform faster than the 266 mhz...but since it's backwards compitable, i suppose there shouldn't be any problem if it's set to the right speed.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
DDR 333 WILL run on a DDr266 mobo... You'll just:

a. be running the ram underclocked to 266
b. Overclock your FSB to match the DDR333 speed..

Essentially, having DDR333 on your ddr266 mobo will enable you to Overclock your fSB without worrying about instabilities with Oc'ing your ram since it's default speed is 333 mhz..

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Actually there IS a benefit.

The DDR333 is rated for the same timings as DDR266, but at a higher clock speed. Therefore, DDR333 should be more likely to sustain some really great settings at 266. :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
I dont think thats what he meant. If I read this right he is asking if a DDR 333 memory chip will run in a DDR 266 motherboard. I believe the answer is no. A DDR 266 chip will run on a DDR 333 motherboard becuase it is backward compatible, but not the other way around. If the motherboard doesnt support the chip then it wont work.

OP
R

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Eagle said:
I dont think thats what he meant. If I read this right he is asking if a DDR 333 memory chip will run in a DDR 266 motherboard. I believe the answer is no. A DDR 266 chip will run on a DDR 333 motherboard becuase it is backward compatible, but not the other way around. If the motherboard doesnt support the chip then it wont work.

thnx for all the help...
by the way it does work on my mb since the memory itself is backwards compatible (But I think it will only run at 266 speeds), I just wasn't sure whether DDR 333 memory or DD266 memory will work better on a via KT266 mb.

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Eagle said:

Uh... they're the same chips, hun. DDRSDRAM is DDRSDRAM is DDRSDRAM.

The RAM rated at 333 has lower access latency :)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
ra5555 said:
thnx for all the help...
by the way it does work on my mb since the memory itself is backwards compatible (But I think it will only run at 266 speeds), I just wasn't sure whether DDR 333 memory or DD266 memory will work better on a via KT266 mb.

Mmyep. You can technically use any RAM in any mobo with compatible socket size (i.e. a 184-pin DIMM socket will accept and work with any 184-pin DIMM's, though not necessarily at spec).