What's new

A new guy wondering how long it takes

OP
Toasty

Toasty

Sony battery
I should probably start a new thread specifically for the N64/PS2 topic. I know there's been a few posts on that subject here before, but I've got quite a few new questions (being a newbie after all).
BGNG said:
Toasy... My buddy, whom I mentioned earlier, does not wish to work with you in your Chip8 project, as he is unconfident in his programming ability dispite the fact he's been at it for a few years. Sorry if that let you down.
That's OK. I didn't think I'd be able to do it either, but after I got all my code written and worked out the few compile-time bugs, it actually worked on my first runtime test. I was amazed, as almost nothing I do works on the first try! It has quite a few little bugs to work out, but it's the first time I was excited to see the Pong ball bounce around on the screen. Even though he's not feeling up to a group project, maybe that'll inspire a little confidence anyway. :happy:

BGNG

Well, I'm glad you got your virtual Chip8 up and running.

So how long does it take, asked you in your first post? According to this... Four days. (-:

OP
Toasty

Toasty

Sony battery
BGNG said:
Well, I'm glad you got your virtual Chip8 up and running.

So how long does it take, asked you in your first post? According to this... Four days. (-:
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprized. Altogether I'd guess it took about five or six hours total time. (And that's from the point where I didn't even know what Chip8 was to the alpha version. No betas yet. ;)) Rather than fix the sorta buggy one I wrote, I'm porting it over to C++ (the original was in C#, which I thought would make it easier, but lack of macros made code very hard to organize and difficult to read). I think that'll make debugging a little easier when I get to it, even if I do have to spend a little more time on the UI. Chip8 is very good for a beginner project!

OP
Toasty

Toasty

Sony battery
To anyone who's interested, I started a new thread for the N64 on PS2 discussion, if any of you feel like throwing in your 2 cents worth.