What's new

A few noob questions.

Memory-sniper

Hello, I'm new here. I've just recently learned about emulation and so far I love it.

Is there any way to control OOT with the mouse and keyboard together? I'm talking about the basic wasd setup. I'm trying to set it up so I can control links left and right movement with the mouse and up and down with w and s. Like world of warcraft controls. Thats the only thing I can think to compare what I'm talking about with. I'm also trying to set it up so when I press the up triangle button to look around I can control where link looks with only the mouse. Anybody have any tips? I've tried to set this up by myself and it's not turning out very well.

I've been considering getting a gamepad but If I could get this to work I could save some money, which is why I got an emulater in the first place lol :)

Specs
7600 gs
1.5 ram

I get about 50 fps. Does this seem right? When I play full screen it feels a bit chopy but that might just be the way its supposed to look. I mean, it is an old game.

I'd appreciate any help. Any other advice you guys can think to put in would also be great. :)

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
You want N-Rage's Input plugin. (A search for "keyboard mouse pj64" yields many results.) Keep in mind that emulators aren't made so that people can get games without paying for them. In any event, a gamepad for your PC is probably a worthy investment if you intend to play N64 games on it.

50 fps is just right for a PAL (probably European) ROM, 60 fps for NTSC (US/Japanese) ROMs. The number of times per second that the image on the screen actually changes is dependent on the game. In OOT's case, this was somewhere around 20 frames per second (I'm sure someone will probably pipe in with the exact number), which is why it appears jerky compared to PC games, which can often refresh as quickly as your monitor will allow.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yes, PAL runs at 50Hz (50VI/s) while NTSC games run at 60Hz (60 VI/s). Like Toasty said, a given game's true fps is often much lower than what is reported by Project64 (since Project64 in fact shows VI/s instead of the true internal speed).

I think that the PAL version of OoT runs at 20 fps internally while the NTSC version runs at 30 fps internally. IIRC, games like GoldenEye and F-Zero X run at full 60 fps.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Getting back to the controller plugin part... you're going to want to assign macros for the mouse and keep the keyboard on the main button settings. The reason for this, is so that you can control Link with both. I did this mostly so that in spots that the mouse could not give precise movements (Fire cave for instance), you can use the arrow keys and safely make it. Also, I'd suggest making Left-click your attack button (macro), Right-click your shield (also macro) and if you have a middle click, set it so that when you click it, it switches to pov mode/Navi (C-Up) and the wheel-up to toggle mode for shield (so that when you wheel up once, it locks the shield until you wheel up again) and do the same with Wheel-down in toggle mode for Z-target (both in macro sets). THIS will give you a much easier time of trying to play with the mouse and keyboard.

Also, you will want to have the "Delete/Home/End/Page down" for your C-Buttons (just my opinion, you can set any buttons you want for C-Buttons... this just makes it much easier) and the arrow keys for your directional. All on the main buttons panel. Your attack/shield/pause can all be set up on the "Right-Ctrl" "Right-Shift" and "Enter" (in that order). I prefered this method of setup, because it let me kick butt without having to move my right hand from the mouse at all.

Also, if you can get the deadzone and motion set up just right, you can even do your spin-attack without having to charge up (with the mouse, I mean). THAT amused me deeply, and I kept doing it until I got bored.

There is a major drawback of playing without a gamepad... you can't feel rumble. So unless you play in windowed mode, with the "flash screen" option to mimic rumble, you might miss out on a few secrets in the game.

Hope this setup can be of help to you.

OP
M

Memory-sniper

Yes, PAL runs at 50Hz (50VI/s) while NTSC games run at 60Hz (60 VI/s). Like Toasty said, a given game's true fps is often much lower than what is reported by Project64 (since Project64 in fact shows VI/s instead of the true internal speed).

I think that the PAL version of OoT runs at 20 fps internally while the NTSC version runs at 30 fps internally. IIRC, games like GoldenEye and F-Zero X run at full 60 fps.

Wow 20 fps is really bad lol. But, its good to know everythings running smoothly. Thanks for your input guys. :)

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder

Games like GoldenEye run at a Variable FPS
OoT Pal runs at 18fps, OoT NTSC runs at 20fps