What's new

A few driver updates..

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Because it includes everything that SP1 non-A includes, with the exception of removing VM.

So if you have neither service pack, you can just get SP1a.

Wasn't the first service pack over a hundred or so megs?

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
It doesn't really matter for me, i have the actual SP1 CD, so there is no downloading, and I refuse to download the updates for SP2 AGAIN, i hate the fact you cant back them up and any time you have to reformat they disappear.

My95ZR2

Well, I d/led SP1 when it first came out. It was ~20 meg...not too bad. Well, the computer crashed pretty bad, so I deleted Windows and installed it again. This time SP1 was well over 100mb download. Somehow, I got a virus like a week after getting it, and it pretty much killed Windows. Mom was sick of me being online for 12 hours just to download patches for an OS that was as buggy as heck. So I told her it was cheap to buy a CD with it on it, and I haven't had too many worries. Although after this last virus (trojan horse that tied everything in knots), I still had 60 meg of junk to get from their site...

Adam

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
I don't use Windows Update any more. In my experience, most of the updates were security updates to fix flaws in IE. Yeah, I know there's other stuff as well, but I don't worry about it.

I always download the "network install" versions of the service packs, integrate them into my install CDs, and reinstall from scratch.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The Khan Artist said:
I don't use Windows Update any more. In my experience, most of the updates were security updates to fix flaws in IE. Yeah, I know there's other stuff as well, but I don't worry about it.

I always download the "network install" versions of the service packs, integrate them into my install CDs, and reinstall from scratch.

Exact same thing here, and for me the SP1 download was over 100 megs, and the SP1a download was 30 megs. Both of these downloads include everything thats in the service pack, and I can't see why they would need 30 megs to just remove a java VM.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Alpha, did you already have every other security update between SP1 and SP1a? Maybe MS secretly stuffed in a few more of 'em for 1a... I dunno.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Alpha, did you already have every other security update between SP1 and SP1a? Maybe MS secretly stuffed in a few more of 'em for 1a... I dunno.

They probably did, they just want to tide people over with their own java while they attempt to move the .NET platform over, hence they say "only removes java". Pretty damn shady if you ask me, but I somehow doubt that everybody is going to migrate to a platform that only works on windows by the time their next major service pack comes around.

My95ZR2

You're wrong, they aren't stuffing more patches in it...they stuffing code that causes that freakin' patches :eek:

Adam

Last edited: