What's new

A Better Safe than Sorry Question

Eagle

aka Alshain
I'm assuming its true but I was hoping for a confirmation to make sure. Are the new 8x AGP slots backwards compatible like its predecessors were?

iq_132

Banned
AGP 8x
Also known as AGP 3.0, this development support data transfer rates of 533MHz and 2.1GB/sec bandwidth. Like its predecessors, it is a 32-bit wide bus. Although early reports suggested that AGP 8x would forego backward compatibility with previous AGP incarnations, some motherboard manufacturers have implemented a 4x/8x switch option in the BIOS that allows the use of either standard"

http://www.pcbuyersguide.com/hardware/motherboards/serialata-agp8x.html

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Nevermind, I was looking at the Asus A7V8X but its like $60 more than the A7S333. And the A7S is SiS and not VIA, so I think I'll go with that one.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
LOL, thx anyway. I posted those two posts within 10 seconds of each other. I hadnt even seen your post yet.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, I cant find any of the latter without Audio either, oh well I guess I can disable it in the bios. I just hate doing that cause it can cause other complications. Although its probably better than my old SBLive Vaule so maybe I'll try it out.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well IQ, your search wasnt for nothing, I needed the info on USB 2.0.

haXgirl

Eagle said:
I really despise onboard crap.

I have onboard audio... It's better than my old SB Live! 1024... and you could always pop in a new one, right?

My specs:

Win2K Professional 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build #2195)
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4ghz)
MSI KT3 Ultra 2 mainboard
256mb DDR PC 2700 ram
MSI Geforce4 MX440 w/ tv out
Maxtor 40GB 7200 w/ fluid dynamic bearings
LG 32X burner
Resolution: (1024x768x32bpp 60Hz)

Yeah, I know 60hz is icky but my monitor is poo :/

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, heres all the parts I ordered, tell me if it sounds good.

1 Asus A7S333 Motherboard w/ Audio
1 AMD Athlon XP 2000
1 Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3 (A1135 Model)
1 Samsung 256MB chip 333Mhz PC2700 DDR memory (reccomended by ASUS)
1 Syringe Arctic Silver 3
1 Thermaltake Copper AMD CPU Shim

Thats it.

Combined with...

Generic 480W Powersupply w/ Noise Killer
Generic 3 1/2in. Floppy Drive
Samsung 48x CD-Rom
Plextor 12/4/32 CD-Rewriter
IBM 2gb Hard Drive
Western Digital 14gb Hard Drive
Pheobe TV-Master FM
10 baseT D-Link Ethernet piece o' crap
PNY Verto Geforce 3 Ti200
Optional Soundblaster Live! Value

Whew, what a list, and thats just internal components ;)

EDIT: haXgirl, is that just your name or are you really a girl cause we dont get many of those around here :p ;)

Last edited:

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Your setup to be looks pretty nice Eagle. I've been thinking of going AMD as well. Oops, shouldn't have said that out loud... :blush:

haXgirl

Yeah, it's an older 15".. I tried going a little higher but then my monitor started acting up :( I dont want to fry it.

I've been using the handle "haXgirl" for years. I'm on IRC quite a bit (#emu on efnet and I'm an IRCop on irc.relic.net) Yes, I am really a girl :) I'm a youngin' though... only 18, hehe :)

http://haxgirl.is.krad-elite.net

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Ah, cute too ;) 18 is not that young by the way, a lot of us here are within 4 to 5 years higher or lower than that. I'm 21 and my girlfriend is 19 but she doesnt come here and thinks I'm a dork for coming here. :p

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
Hey, HaX, I'd just like to tell you that I live 20 mins drive from you [or so] in White Rock. I've never seen anybody else on Emutalk that's even from BC...

RPGlover12

Dude there is somethin called PMS for that and i have to agree with eagle 100% coz 18 isn't young at all :) well atleast for me ;)