What's new

802.11b On An Old Notebook, Can It Be Done?

Zilla

夢を見られた
It should do, I know that 90% of Netgears drivers are pretty decently coded....

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
In theory this laptop should be able to use the wireless card in there.

I have a PII 300A running with an Orinoco sliver and it connects sluggishly to the network, I'm betting that you laptop will be chugging along too.

Also it may totally suck your battery dry.

Last edited:

jollyrancher

It should work since it uses its own processing power. I'd still call customer support since it only takes 5 minutes and it can be a hastle returning it or sending it back.

OP
URAMetroid

URAMetroid

...?
Good point about the battery, but about 85% of the time it's running on AC anyway.
I just got DSL and I'm trying to see how I can fit this old notebook into my network, and this is the first 16-bit 802.11b PC card I've seen.

Yes, theory this card will work with this notebook, but sometime after I get my network up, maybe I'll test this card and see if it does work at all with my notebook.

If anyone has any more input, feel free to post :)

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Hmm... To be honest...my knowledge of Win95 and it's core specifics are fuzzy. I sort of skipped Win95 altogether. But I would have to take a shot at it and say that Win95 is actually a 32-bit OS.

I DO know that if you try to use 16-bit hardware or programs in a 32-bit environment you're more than likely going to have issues. WinXP has compatability modes so if you're using it then you should be fine...for the most part. (I haven't seen compatability mode do much else.) But your LT definitely isn't going to run WinXP. WinXP wouldn't even let you install on it with those system specs.

Wireless takes up a bit more CPU load than your typical 10/100 NIC. So he was right when he said that it'll probably be sluggish on the network.

If you are near your switch or 'server' computer then I would recommend using physical medium instead. (Good-ol' CAT-5 and a 10/100 NIC.)

It's all up to you, though. I just give the facts as I understand them.