What's new

64 Bit and Dual Core support

punisher001

Everyone gets what he deserves
Do you think that 64 Bit and Dual Core* support will help Dolphin to have the right speed in combination with a recent GFX card (like GeForce 6800 Ultra)?

*Which is better CPU (apart from an IBM's one) for emulating GC, Intel or AMD?

Sercio

64 Bit Cpus are not supportet :-(
But in the future i hope that will be able...
Any CPU (AMD or even Intel) should work!

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I am unsure how much 64bit would REALLY help. The Gekko is 32bits. One way it would help are the extra registers to lower cache frequency. Dual Core wouldn't be too significant. I believe most emulation is memory bandwidth bound and no so much MIPS. However, the lower cache frequency would provide a lessening in memory bandwidth requirements. So really... my theory is yes. It'll help, but it won't be the overall problem solver. From what I've heard, the Graphics is the bottleneck atm. A little innovation should fix that problem.

BlueFalcon7

I have always wondered, if 64 bit and dual core arent supported yet, then how did sercio get 30FPS with resident evil?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
BlueFalcon7 said:
I have always wondered, if 64 bit and dual core arent supported yet, then how did sercio get 30FPS with resident evil?
Well, for starters, he has an AMD Athlon 64 4800+. It's fast.

Last edited:

fatalexception

on dual/multi core:
dolphin final 1.03.2 beta has dual/multi core issues. tested on both AMD FX60 & Intel Core Duo T2400 cpus. until the code or plugins are fixed, set dolphin's process affinity via the windows task manager. the main advantage of dual/multi core is that threads in the ready queue run sooner. At the moment I have 590 threads total. so yeah, multi core is good.

on 64 bit:
at present, there is no 64bit build of dolphin. too bad; i want it. 64bit is good for math and memory. too bad xp64 drivers suck. vista64 intends to change all that.

on amd vs. intel:
i have an general opinion. but regarding gc emulation, i havent benchmarked it. speaking of which, is there a gc emulation benchmark?

on graphics cards:
at the moment, ati has better hardware but nvidia has better drivers.

on mothers day:
call your mother!

DOGG

lets not start an amd vs intel debate.

clearly amd is the current leader in CPUs.

But wait about a week and that may change...

WhiteX

BlueFalcon7 said:

Sercio´s test is disregarded by many.
Just for starters, if a 4800+ is capable of 30FPS, why ppl with 3000+ or 4200+, even being X2, do not have scaled results but 1-5 FPS?

BlueFalcon7

WhiteX said:
Sercio´s test is disregarded by many.
Just for starters, if a 4800+ is capable of 30FPS, why ppl with 3000+ or 4200+, even being X2, do not have scaled results but 1-5 FPS?
Thats what I have been wondering. Did sercio do some sort of mobo hard mod to make dual processing seem like single core? Even then, im not sure that even that much power is capable of 30 FPS.

fatalexception

reverse theading is not available on current amd or intel cpus. if future cpus do this then single threaded apps (games, emulators) will likely see significant performance gains. sercio could not have done any mod to make a dual/multi core system appear as a single core -- unless he simply disabled the other cores by adding "/numproc=1" to his boot.ini

WhiteX

It is said by many, myself included, to be simply an atenttion grab, a hoax.
If one must assume a certain speed for Dolphin, it would be the speed all of us have not Sercio´s "test".

EDIT: i´m too lazy to search his thread again but if you do, there are a lot of replies that back up the idea of a fake.

Toasty

Sony battery
WhiteX said:
i´m too lazy to search his thread again but if you do, there are a lot of replies that back up the idea of a fake.
I liked the one Clements (at least I think it was Clements) brought up about the the numbers on the FPS counter being inconsistently placed - a dead giveaway that they weren't authentic.

TerraPhantm

Not to mention that the 4800 at stock speeds is pretty slow anyways.. A64s start to shine at 2.6GHz+. I'm at 2.8 and I get the same framerate as everyone else (I had a 7800GTX, X1900XTX should be in tommorow). Not even his SLI would help him since I doubt dolphin is compatible with SLI.

In another thread FiRes said that dual core would probably bring a decent boost in speed, because they'd be able to dedicate an entire core to the part of Dolphin that really bottlenecks it.

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

I didnt think it was real, I was just wondering because the the dolphin doesnt support dual core yet.
And TerraPhantm, when you said "A64s start to shine at 2.6GHz+" do you mean glow from the heat? How would you know if its glowing, did you actually take off the heatsync while overclocking the CPU?

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
BlueFalcon7 said:
And TerraPhantm, when you said "A64s start to shine at 2.6GHz+" do you mean glow from the heat? How would you know if its glowing, did you actually take off the heatsync while overclocking the CPU?
:happy: Sorry - I'm laughing with you Falcon.

Flash

Technomage
Azimer said:
From what I've heard, the Graphics is the bottleneck atm.
From what i see it really is... :D BAM3k runs at 100+ fps but when it comes to 3D games... 3-10 fps slide show.

Flash

Technomage
BlueFalcon7 said:
I didnt think it was real, I was just wondering because the the dolphin doesnt support dual core yet.
And TerraPhantm, when you said "A64s start to shine at 2.6GHz+" do you mean glow from the heat?
NPU - Nooklear Processor Unit :D :D :D

P.S. To be serious 2.2Ghz or 2.6Ghz is not a big difference - 10-12 fps in Quake 3 and even less in Dolphin.
BTW when first working (at least partially) PSX emulators were released it was same situation - 5-10 fps.
So all we have to do is wait 5-6 years and we'll get an emulator that runs gamecube games at full speed with software renderer :D

Last edited: