What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Celda New improves 2008 by Djipi

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilm

Saria is great ! And the other Kokiris too. However, maybe the smile of the two anonymous girls doesn't need to be that wide ?...

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
Now Djipi knows I respect him, but there is something so lifeless about those faces, I think they need to be reconsidered...

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
First of all, I have to say that I very appreciate Djipi's work. I can say, that his texture mods inspired me to work on hires textures support in Glide64.

Regarding background in Zelda OOT, I can say that it is not surprise that they do not work. Backgrounds here are special. Let me explain why.
First, a bit of basics. How hires texturing works. To render textured polygon, N64 needs to load texture into a special memory buffer – texture memory. To do that, N64 programmer has to call: settextureimage command to set address and format of texture image, settile and settilesize commands to set tile parameters and sizes and finally one of tile loading commands. After processing of these commands graphics plugin knows everything to calculate texture checksum. During processing of a draw polygon command, plugin calculates texture checksum, finds hires texture corresponding to this checksum and if such texture is found, it is used instead of the original one.
Now backgrounds. N64 texture memory has 4kb (4096 bytes) capacity. That is, it is impossible to use tiles, which has size larger than 4kb. Obviously, backgrounds, which usually are 320x240, can’t be rendered in one piece. To render fullscreen background, N64 programmer usually have to split it into set of wide narrow tiles, and for each of this tiles call set of commands, which includes: settextureimage, settile, settilesize, texrect. That is several hundreds of commands. There is another way to do it. Nintendo created special 2D sprite microcode, which can be loaded from main 3D microcode. This sprite microcode has ‘background’ macro command. N64 programmer can render rectangular image of arbitrary size, calling only one this background command. He only needs to specify a structure, which describes texture image parameters and its position on the screen. And this is how background are rendered in Zelda OOT. Background command is just encapsulates all this texture routine from the programmer. That is on low level it works the same – splits texture into pieces and renders it piece by piece. But, on high level it is one command, and high level graphics plugins deal with this command. Since this command deals with whole texture image, not spilt into tiles, plugin author can select any way to implement this command. Usual approach is to load it wholly, without splitting. RiceVideo uses this approach. I guess, background image is dumped in one piece too. Why hires background image does not load? I guess, it’s because usual texture processing flow (settextureimage, settile, settilesize) is bypassed in this case, and hires search is bypassed too. Thus, there is no way to load them without modifying the plugin. This is true for Glide64 too, but here the things are even more complex. Glide64 reproduces internal logics of background command: it splits texture image into 4kb tiles, and loads it one by one. Thus, hires background must be split too to work with Glide64. Therefore, these tiles must be dumped first with correct checksum. Djipi, if you will agree to do background tiling, I can try to build Glide64 with texture dumping.

OP
D

Djipi

Zelda CelShade Producer
Thanks ^^

Md , i will try to redone original kokiri's eyes for all^^.
Gonetz , i'm ok to do background tiling ^^.Please tell ma what i must do ^^.

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
Remember the characters I did for Majora's Mask with you... (I will try send them to you soon). You should do it in the Wind Waker Style, like I did, that way the characters get more character and life to their faces.

kafei-eyes-open.png

kafei-mouth.png

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Nothing for a moment. I've to enable texture dumping in Glide64 first. Then, you will be able to get original background texture tiled, and split your hires background texture accordingly.

OP
D

Djipi

Zelda CelShade Producer
ok i understand md^^ . and you're right ^^ look ^^

And ok gonetz , i wait^^.

OP
D

Djipi

Zelda CelShade Producer
yeah i have try but it's not really good.

What do you preferred ?

Last edited:

Mollymutt

I'm not sure what backgrounds you are referring to, but I did some work on the interiors of the Kokiri houses, and I also did the entire background for the marketplace. Pj64 1.6 definitely loads these textures. The only tiles that didn't load were the textures that dumped as one big texture, like the overhead view of an interior, or outside of The Temple of Time.

OP
D

Djipi

Zelda CelShade Producer
yes i speak the big background^^

Here's the result for a kokiri child^^
MODIF Final

Last edited:
OP
D

Djipi

Zelda CelShade Producer
Owing to Md idea , i can present to you the final Link ^^.

Last edited:

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Link is so happy looking!

I'm interested in what Adult Link might look like...

Great job, Djipi!

Status
Not open for further replies.