What's new

32bit CPU vs 64bit CPU

fab2k

Last edited:

Sercio

Ector himself said that the 64 bit version will work faster then the 32 one! Dual Core is mostly unsupportet on many games and either on many applications. But the future will only able for "multicore" cpu´s since intel is on the way to puplish a 4 cored cpu :drool: ... Conisder, dual core cpu´s are expensive now but it will get cheaper soon (in ~ 1 month), what i mean is wait some time and you will get a better cpu for the same money!
And also consider that you need a new 64 bit os! I myself didnt know that (because my dam retailer said i dont need...) Actually there is only a WinXp pro 64 bit edition avaible but (if you wait again ;-) you can buy windows vista which will support 64 bit!
I Hope i could give you some tips (and didnt go far offtopic)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
How much difference there will be between 32-bit and 64-bit builds are subjective, but I'm guessing it will be around 10% or so.

Sercio

64 bit is able to boost applications about 50 %... its depends of the quality of the code and other things... Dolphin does emulate a Powerpc cpu which is completely different as the x86 Cpu´s which we use! Therefore its slow right now. I heart that PowerPc cpus does support 64 bit since years but im not sure that the gamecube cpu does also do :unsure: but if then the actual 64 bit technology could boost dolphin alot!

Doomulation

64 bit is able to boost applications about 50 %... its depends of the quality of the code and other things... Dolphin does emulate a Powerpc cpu which is completely different as the x86 Cpu´s which we use! Therefore its slow right now. I heart that PowerPc cpus does support 64 bit since years but im not sure that the gamecube cpu does also do :unsure: but if then the actual 64 bit technology could boost dolphin alot!
50%? I very much doubt that. Even x264, a very demanding video compression number crunching program benefits about 10% from 64-bitness. So, I'm not stating that it can't go higher, but I very much doubt you can hit 50%. 64-bit is an upgrade, not a revolution. It's not two processors working besides each other either. 64-bitness mostly enables the processor to crunch a little more data at the same time.

I dont know what you are talking about but i got 64 bit dual core
Whats cool with that?

It's speed compared to a 32-bit dual core build and a 64-bit dual core build. Obviously, the 64-bit build is faster. On XP 32-bit, you can't use 64-bit apps.

Knuckles

You won't really get a big performance boost with dual core in 32bits. the main speed increase goes with the 64bits instructions.

The only thing "Dual core support" does (and not perfectly yet) is that it splits video processing and Core processing into 2 different threat, so each one is took by 1 core.

On dual core 32 bits, it will be a rediculous speed increase. There WILL be a dual Core 32bits build, it just won't be as fast as 64bits.

I suggest you to get a 64bits OS for it ;)

Last edited:
OP
fab2k

fab2k

thanks a lot guys
for all your help
i guess it's decided then
64bit all the way

Doomulation

Basically, you WILL get a speed increase with the new version, but the difference between the new 32-bit and 64-bit builds? Subtle. Not so big.

Sercio

Uh.... The screeshots from Knuckles show us something different! The 32 bit dolphin yet does reach a max fps around ~ 2-6 fps and this on hardcore machines like my! Knuckles screenshots has around ~ 13-17 fps (i guess) and he already said he playd a game till end!
*btw knuckles specs are a bit lower then my which means that 64 bit dual core games could run maybe at 80% of the real speed :drool:

Last edited:
OP
fab2k

fab2k

one more thing
will i be able to run my 32bit stuff
(games,software,media,etc...)
so plz tell me

Sercio

Yes! The Windows 64 bit edition does has a 32 bit "emulator" which isnt a real emulator.... but drivers must be 64 bit!

Doomulation

Uh.... The screeshots from Knuckles show us something different! The 32 bit dolphin yet does reach a max fps around ~ 2-6 fps and this on hardcore machines like my! Knuckles screenshots has around ~ 13-17 fps (i guess) and he already said he playd a game till end!
*btw knuckles specs are a bit lower then my which means that 64 bit dual core games could run maybe at 80% of the real speed :drool:

Is there a 32-bit build of the new version? How does THAT version compare to the 64-bit build of the new version?

Sercio

I tryed to answer you because you mean there will almost no difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit version.

Knuckles

The 32bits release will only be for updated compat/plugin( if any) and dual core. It will still be as slow as the current version, there will only be a small speed increament for people using dual core....

Last edited:

Coco

50%? I very much doubt that. Even x264, a very demanding video compression number crunching program benefits about 10% from 64-bitness. So, I'm not stating that it can't go higher, but I very much doubt you can hit 50%. 64-bit is an upgrade, not a revolution. It's not two processors working besides each other either. 64-bitness mostly enables the processor to crunch a little more data at the same time.

You can see a 50% increase with 64bit in fact you can see a 100% increase. In regards to emulators I can only hope because I have no real way of testing yet. But I can tell you video encoding does go twice as fast. Take for example virtualdub 32bit and xvid 32bit. I can encode 1 hour worth of video in about 20-25mins at 700kbps. Now take virtualdub 64bit and a 64bit version of xvid. Encoding the same file at the same bitrate takes 10-12mins. If you've got a 64bit computer I recommend you test it out yourself.

Although besides from video encoding I haven't noticed any other programs which show much of a diffrence. I'm kinda hoping emulation can and it sounds like it just might. There are very few true 64bit applications out there.