What's new

1.4GB ---> 260Mb Reduced size for GCM?

bonefish

Clements said:
Mine is a clean 1.35GB gcm NTFS compressed to 250MB. Not only is it guaranteed to work, I can run it from Dolphin without any modification :p

Hi again Clements,

Updating my message with some screen shots, you see using properties the image file IS shrinked, but is it really? windows still shows 519mb in that folder. i used mario64 for gamecube for my screenshot, but same with any game, used this because its way smaller and faster to play aroung with.

please reply

bohdy

bonefish: NTFS compression is designed to be transparent to the user so of course it doesn't appear to be smaller, but if you look closely it will say that "Size on Disk" is much smaller. You will also find that you have more free space left.

So yes it is really shrinked ;)

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
Off-topic: Mario 64 for Gamecube? I've never heard of it! It must be because I'm in a PAL territory...

Back on-topic: Realistically, I'd want a 10,000rpm SCSI or RAID 180gb hard drive (or two!) so I wouldn't have to worry about Windows' anti-productive compression methods. My two cents :)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
bLAdEbLA: It runs from a N64 emulator (the same emulator that Zelda OOT and MQ use).

zaba_3

bLAdEbLA said:
Off-topic: Mario 64 for Gamecube? I've never heard of it! It must be because I'm in a PAL territory...

Back on-topic: Realistically, I'd want a 10,000rpm SCSI or RAID 180gb hard drive (or two!) so I wouldn't have to worry about Windows' anti-productive compression methods. My two cents :)
that mario is fake.image name is mario but game is something other

bonefish

Trying again

alright, im gone try some more. i looked carefully at the disk space avalible when using the compression. When i used the windows (right click/advanced compression) the space avalible on that disk was exacfly the same as unpacked gcm. then i tried a program called NTFSratio, where that mario game actually showed a increase in space avalible. seems very weird. Zelda WW and luigis mansion only shrank 100mb, are those isos that large?

well anyways, with a new version of dolphin, there should be a stable skrinker shouldnt there? i think ill wait for that.

about the mario64, zeldaOOT, and martiokart64 for gamecube, i dont know of they are real games or not, but i do know taht there is a disc for gamecube called zelda classics which have all those (dont care because there are already 100% working emulators for those games) however it lack the best zelda game (a link to the past (3))

hope dolphin get zelda WW and mario kart GC running perfectly soon (thats all i care about.........classics.....

shoups

more....

Well 1,4go to 200/500mo is not realy a bad thing :whistling
Just try to zip or rar you're .gcm you will see that's do the same as shrink.
Don't be anxious, it's N.O.R.M.A.L ^^.
I don't have problems with all .gcm I had shrink...
But if anyone have got "unbootable" games after shrink, say it because I realy want know who can't be shrink ^^.

-------------------------
NGC emulation Dolphin N°1
-------------------------
Load Dolphin teaser
select Tools
select GCM shrinker
select your .gcm game file
and shrink.

This is for people that did not know already. :bunny:

Jakob

evil *******
he didn't use gc shrinker to my knowledge, he used NTFS compression, which would never get that kind of compression on a file that isn't filled with absolutely nothing:p

Jakob

evil *******
NTFS compression is just an extension of the NTFS file system, it's fairly average compression, the only reason his gc iso went so small was becuase it is fake.

What in the name of........
I'm using XP pro and look what i have!
problem.png