What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Glide64 can now do texture dumping!!

Legend

In case this hasn't gotten around yet, Glide64 can finally dump textures. A little experimental currently but should work and you can provide feedback and Gonetz will listen. Glide64 is the best N64 plugin IMO and now it does absolutely everything! So try it!! :evil:

Link to thread and current download.

"
Update 8
This update contains few major changes and a lot of minor ones made by KoolSmoky.
Glitch64: arbitrary resolutions support, including wide screen resolutions. The first version was already released here: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6824. In this version several bugs were fixed.
GlideHQ: Added texture dumping. This is on alpha stage yet; many textures are dumped incorrectly. It will be fixed lately. Also, added support for multi core processors – texture compression now can use all power of your CPU.
Glide64: Textures dumping option added to the user interface.
I have no time to add required modification to Glide64 ‘Napalm’, so new Glitch64 and GlideHQ features are available for this version of Glide64 only.
Update 9
New set of fixes by KoolSmoky
Glitch64: fixed status bar issue with 1964 in full screen mode
GlideHQ: More muli-core utilization with GlideHQ. The x2Sai, Smooth, etc enhancers and filters, color quantizers have been modified, so realtime texture enhancements and filters are faster on a multi-core CPU.
Update 10
New set of modifications by KoolSmoky
Glide64: Fixed hi-res control panel presets.
GlideHQ. Fixes: Fixed texture dumping. Restrict texture compression to kick in only for realtime enhancers and hi-res texture packs. Paving way to support Linux.
Changes: string in config panel. "Texture dump" -> "Texture editing mode"
Addtions: hotkeys when in "Texture editing mode", "R" reloads hires textures from texture packs, "D" toggles texture dumps on/off
"

Now at "Update 10".

Last edited:

mudlord

Banned
And Rice Video is now dead.

Congratulations though to Glide64 on this achievement.

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
:( Nooooo...please no! Don't say it's so.
Glide is great but it does not display the text well in Castlevania LOD and I would prefer not to have to redo...omg I can't even say it. Please no... ...I mean look at what I have done with RV... ;)

23kwy89.jpg

sllemv.jpg

OP
Legend

Legend

:( Nooooo...please no! Don't say it's so.
Glide is great but it does not display the text well in Castlevania LOD and I would prefer not to have to redo...omg I can't even say it. Please no... ...I mean look at what I have done with RV... ;)

Are you saying you're having problems with loading textures? Glide64 should be able to do at the least the same job as Rice's if not better. I have a lot of packs and they all work exactly how they should.

gitech

N64 Artist
Are you saying you're having problems with loading textures? Glide64 should be able to do at the least the same job as Rice's if not better. I have a lot of packs and they all work exactly how they should.

I wish. Really. Both are great plugins but RV is what I have been working with on over 3000 textures for various games. ~98% of which are for Castlevania LOD and the others for Turok 1, Majora's Mask and F-Zero.

In any case to answer your question...no...I am not having trouble loading textures. I know some textures will not load in Glide64 because I dumped them with RV without TMEM emulation "on" and I would have to go back through the entire game (~7 times for all the characters, story lines and conditional events.

What I mean is Glide64's smoothing filter is not as good causing more pixelization in the text and textures, the text has lines under the text, the colors are a little brighter (my colors for CLOD are very specific to the mood), and it seems to have lower color depth causing color banding, among other errors like in .all textures that make up the main logo on the "Start Screen". All making it look far worse when using Glide.

If all of these things are being worked on for Glide and it can look as good as RV then I would spend the hundreds or even thousands of hours to go back through CLOD again to make it fully compatible with Glide...but of course I do not want to...you know?!

Here are some pics for examples of the difference. Glide pics are first:

2m7bs0h.jpg

f1dpq1.jpg

jhxwuf.jpg

sewp47.jpg

kybrp.jpg

2qs4do5.jpg

152ytlt.jpg

2qk48k9.jpg

2illt0x.jpg

2uxwg8l.jpg

KoolSmoky

I wish. Really. Both are great plugins but RV is what I have been working with on over 3000 textures for various games. ~98% of which are for Castlevania LOD and the others for Turok 1, Majora's Mask and F-Zero.

In any case to answer your question...no...I am not having trouble loading textures. I know some textures will not load in Glide64 because I dumped them with RV without TMEM emulation "on" and I would have to go back through the entire game (~7 times for all the characters, story lines and conditional events.

What I mean is Glide64's smoothing filter is not as good causing more pixelization in the text and textures, the text has lines under the text, the colors are a little brighter (my colors for CLOD are very specific to the mood), and it seems to have lower color depth causing color banding, among other errors like in .all textures that make up the main logo on the "Start Screen". All making it look far worse when using Glide.

If all of these things are being worked on for Glide and it can look as good as RV then I would spend the hundreds or even thousands of hours to go back through CLOD again to make it fully compatible with Glide...but of course I do not want to...you know?!

Here are some pics for examples of the difference. Glide pics are first:

The pixilation and color banding are easily avoidable by changing Glide64's options. In the "Texture enhancement" tab, select and tick the following;

---Texture enhancement---
*Filter : as you wish
*Enhancement : as you wish
*Texture cache : at least 128 Mbytes
*Ignore backgrounds
*Compress memory used for texture cache

---Hi-resolution textures---
*Format : Rice format
*Alternative CRC calculation
*Compress memory used for texture cache
*Use alpha channel fully

---Common---
*Texture compression : none
*Save texture cache to harddisk

Those options will give you the best texture quality. Note that the "Texture enhancement" options will have no effect on textures of the hi-res texture packs. Besure you are using the latest GlideHQ.dll found at
http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6490

The pixilation and banding sometimes seen is mostly a result of using the "Apply texture compression" option. It is not due to any kind of smoothing filter. Glide64 will compress textures to S3TC or FXT1 format with this option ON. It will reduce the texture size to 1/2 to 1/8 at a little compromise of quality and boost performance on a wide range of GFX cards. Quality loss will be negligible for large textures, but will be resident for simple small textures such as those used in the original N64 roms. Therefore, if you are not using x2, hqx4, and etc "size enhancers", unticking the "Apply texture compression" option in the "Texture enhancement" section will resolve pixilation and errors seen in your screenshots including the main logo on the "Start Screen", since those textures are the N64 originals'. They are too small to recieve the benefit of texture compression anyway. OTOH, for large textures, like the ones you have created for your superb CLOD texture pack, using texture compression will be beneficial because the quality difference will be hard to perceive. And especially when the game is in action.

There are a few ways to keep perfect quality with texture compression;

1) design a smarter texture compression engine
2) design a texture pack with noncompressed textures with postcompression in mind
3) design a texture pack with precompressed and noncompressed textures mixed together and use it as is

The latter two are pratical solutions, and often done in commercial games. You really cannot beat the texture artists' hand optimizations. IMO, 3) is the best solution, but RiceVideo Hi-res Texture Format needs to be extended in order to support it.

Anyway, you should be aware that the RiceVideo plugin and Glide64 plugin will not always produce the exact same texture colors, because they use different color quantizing schemes, regardless of texture compression. The difference will be unnoticeable unless compared side by side. Glide64 in particular uses a special designed quantizer that allows texture artists to use 32bpp full colors with their textures but with reduced texture footprint.

For best performance with Glide64, see recommended settings at
http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6741
Those settings will serve well for most people, but with a minor loss in quality due to texture compression (it only compresses the hi-res texture pack).

I hope this clears some things up.

-KoolSmoky

mudlord

Banned
Nooooo...please no! Don't say it's so.

It is so. I have zero motivation to work on RV any longer, considering Glide64 now supports texture dumping. You could say it has made RV now redundant, as people will always pick the superior plugin, and that is a fact.

Datadayne

I dont really understand. Ive been using rice for as long as I can remember, and it has always worked flawlessly.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two?

And I would also like to know what you will be working on (if you will be working on) something else considering your statement mudlord. Anything special coming, lol. It seems that n64 retexturing plugins are at its highest it will get, what else is there to improve on other than bugs and such?

X-Fi6

The only problem with Glide64 is it does not have a feature for Anti-Aliasing. So you have to use the ATI CCC / nVidia Control Panel to force anti-aliasing on all OpenGL content if you want it with Glide.

mudlord

Banned
The only problem with Glide64 is it does not have a feature for Anti-Aliasing. So you have to use the ATI CCC / nVidia Control Panel to force anti-aliasing on all OpenGL content if you want it with Glide.

Read this:
http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showpost.php?p=79358&postcount=820

Can anyone explain the difference between the two?
* More accurate combiner emulation
* Hardware framebuffer emulation
* Better support for games etc..

There is a long list of differences.

And I would also like to know what you will be working on (if you will be working on) something else considering your statement mudlord.

And I would like to ask, why? Is it prudent for the emulation community to know exactly what I do, why I discontinued my work on Rice Video, and what I am working on now?

mudlord

Banned
And I would also like to know what you will be working on (if you will be working on) something else considering your statement mudlord. Anything special coming, lol. It seems that n64 retexturing plugins are at its highest it will get, what else is there to improve on other than bugs and such?

Okay, I decided to now let go, and explain what is going on.

I discontinued my work on rv, because I have other things to do. Working on a plugin that needed lots of work to begin with (no offense Rice), was wearing thin on my motivation. Plus with Glide64 now supporting texture dumping, honestly why would people use RV? People are bound to pick the superior plugin. And honestly, Glide64 is.

So basically:
* I am still working with Gonetz and co on Glide64's wrapper (I did contribute some HQXX based graphics filters to GlideHQ in the past).
* I am working on new things, mainly to try something outside my comfort zone.
These are:
- A Winamp input plugin implementation of blargg's Game_Music_Emu library
- VBA-M
- A NES emulator focusing squarely on speed and size, not accuracy.
- A reverb DSP component for foobar2000
- Programming game trainers.
- Learning reverse engineering of commercial copy protections, as well as practising on legal targets.

So, as you can see, I don't see how RV fits into my new line of work. Of course, I have no doubts someone will pick up my source and continue.

PS: For those that care, my version of RV sources is still on Google Code.
PPS: MODs: The crackme site I shown is 100% legal, see for yourself ;).

Last edited:

cdgfx84

cdgfx84
when i use glide 64 wonder plus it puts my thing in full screen with the stop play pause buttons but has the game cut off in a small square i use the same settings on glide64 napalm plugin and it runs fine but it wnt dump textures

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I totally overlooked it!
It's great that texture dumping is finally supported.
When I have some more time, I will try it asap.
But it's sad to see mudlord left RV. I can understand him, but it was a great plugin and his enhancements made it even better.
It will be a big loss for the N64 gfx fans.
I really hope, Orkin will come back.
But Martin would be great, too, to finally fix the board... :/

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
Is there a compatibility list somewhere for Glide64? I'd totally get back into making textures if it worked properly with Perfect Dark & Castlevania

cerebus5

I'm having major problems with glide and perfect dark on 1964. It continually flickers in and out. But I'd love someone to do a texture pack for that game.

mudlord

Banned
Is there a compatibility list somewhere for Glide64? I'd totally get back into making textures if it worked properly with Perfect Dark & Castlevania

Err.....

Glide64 does work properly with Perfect Dark, all effects and the sky emulated.
Have you been living under a rock?

BTW, a compatibility list is included in the newest Glide64 download for conveniance.

cdgfx84

cdgfx84
I fixed the problem i was having earlier but now when i check dump textures it doesnt do anything with rice it always dumped it in "texture_dump"

cerebus5

Glide WS is not working with Perfect Dark for me - in PJ64 and 1964. It shows the gun but the rest of the screen is black. I can give you a screenshot if you like.

Xenobond

Double 0 Reject
Err.....

Glide64 does work properly with Perfect Dark, all effects and the sky emulated.
Have you been living under a rock?

BTW, a compatibility list is included in the newest Glide64 download for conveniance.

As far as Glide64, yeah. Haven't messed with any of the other gfx plugins besides Rice's and Jabo's from PJ64 1.7 gxf plugin.

I.S.T.

Glide WS is not working with Perfect Dark for me - in PJ64 and 1964. It shows the gun but the rest of the screen is black. I can give you a screenshot if you like.

Nevermind, I didn't read your post right. That's what I get for being tired.