What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Mario kart 64 High res topic

Weatherton

Just so you guys know, when this Color Indexed file format issue is finally taken care of, MagiKoopa will be primed and ready for entry into mk64:

MagiKoopaShowcase.gif

Hopefully everything can get cleared up soon :bunny:

Weatherton

I chose Yoshi because I am only changing the look of the character. The sounds the character makes and the driving characteristics will remain the same. So, my options for light-weight karters are Peach, Toad and Yoshi... all equal in performance but sound-wise Yoshi makes the most sense.

pilm

That's gonna be fantastic, great job Weatherton ! :D

When you'll have the time, could you make the character lean on right and left in some pictures, like most MK characters ? Maybe it's a lot of work, dunno...

Weatherton

As soon as I get these images loading correctly I will go through and make MagiKoopa lean as you described. I also may add some additional details and fine-tune the coloring. (btw, I'm still undecided on whether I want to add legs for MagiKoopa or not, I kind of like the look without but he originally had legs in the game).

chane2k1

i love what you've created. I think you should add feet sticking out the front with the soles of his feet pointing forward. maybe have them sitting on pedals. The model it self looks great. keep up the great work, i look forward to seeing it completed.

Nin_10_Dough

yeah, I have to agree on the feet thing. Looks like he's standing in the kart. I don't think his feet should reach the front of the kart though, give him little feet, like this:
yoshiplush20.jpg

Also, maybe his specs need to be a bit bigger?
magikoopa.gif

Nin_10_Dough

You hit the motherload! Some of those defintely aren't beta, like the the first two. Those are mighty crisp to have come from an n64, based on the texture error on the ground I'd say it's emulated. I can tell it's the japanese version based on the Lugip sign :bouncy:
(also, why are some of my lines double spaced? I did NOT do that )

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
Texture dump by using beta 9

You definitely want to use beta 9 for this game.

I attached the new dumpped textures package here by using beta 9.

I don't think it will be easy to enhance the player animation, so I don't include player textures into the RAR package. There are so many of player textures.

All textures in the packages are organized into subfolders.

Again, this is the dumped texture package, not a package of enhanced textures.

Weatherton

Can you please please please (pretty please) make a pack of Yoshi animation? I will replace his animation with that of my MagiKoopa's model as soon as I know I have a comprehensive package of his animation as well as a final (not Beta) release of the plugin that supports this png replacement technique.

Edit: (I tried making a comprehensive package of his animation but I'm not really sure how to make sure I have everything, I just did it by hand after loading him into time trials once... I atleast know he only turns left and the game must flip the images to make him turn right).

Rice

Emulator Developer
No, I cannot. I cannot pick yoshi textures from a few thousand files. And the textures are divided into top and bottom half. I cannot really tell the bottom half ones for yoshi.

I don't really think it is possible to retexture the player animations.

And we cannot use PNG to replace CI texture for players. The kart wheel animation is done by changing CI palette color.

Nin_10_Dough

Sheesh, sucks that finding the textures and creating new ones is going to be harder for Weatherton than making the model :yucky:

Weatherton

:( ... yeah, Rice I was just asking if you knew of an easier method than the one I was using for finding the character animations.... it stinks that we can't get the movement animations to work without using the same Color-indexing.... but what if I didn't care about making the tire animation work? Could I just use the png files and forgo that little flicker animation?

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
The game seems to use a lot of textures to do the player animation. A LOT, even without considering the kart wheel animation. As I count, the game uses more than 100 images to animate each player.

If you are interested, try the beta 10 to dump the textures by yourself.

Weatherton

I dumped 222 yoshi images using the last full release of your plugin. I want to wait for the next final release of your plugin to get them as png files. I still don't fully understand how to get my images to work :( but, I'm willing to make the hundreds of images necessary because it's making the images that's easy. I can then use every image as a layer in a 256X 256 photoshop file and crop the whole file in half so that I have my two half images and then save each one in the proper .png format. After that it's only a matter of matching up the images which is something I can do and others can help me on.

I just haven't been able to understand how to get my images in properly, even using Beta 9 (I realize this is my own fault but that doesn't change things, I'm still unable to do it successfully).

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
I have tried to make enhancement for some of the ingame texts. I know they are not good enough yet, but I think the way I make them are in the right direction.

Kolano

Rice said:
No, I cannot. I cannot pick yoshi textures from a few thousand files. And the textures are divided into top and bottom half. I cannot really tell the bottom half ones for yoshi.

I don't really think it is possible to retexture the player animations.

And we cannot use PNG to replace CI texture for players. The kart wheel animation is done by changing CI palette color.

Did you mean to say "I don't really think it is possible to retexture the player animations using 32b graphics"? It seems that if folks generated 8b ones with the right pallete things would work fine.

Last edited: