AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Eagle said:
OK Ive been told all about the boot loader, but I got one more question,

Can RedHat 8.0 read NTFS and FAT32?

Yes and yes.

Write?

No and yes.

...Well, you can write to it, but it's not a good idea.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
In your kernel you can enable Linux to read and write to almost all filesystems, including both NTFS and any FAT filesystem.

Now, RedHat will have FAT support enabled (both read and write) but may not have NTFS read support.

If you want to get the support enabled your going to have to read some Redhat docs on how to compile their version of the kernel.

The reason why you shouldn't use write support for NTFS is because there is a moderate chance that you'll corrupt data, not only the files that your writing but also to the files that are alreaady stored.

Anyways, good luck :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
mesman00 said:
what exactly causes the NTFS files to be corrupted? any insight?

The proprietary nature of the NTFS filesystem. Work to get opensource write support where it is has taken years, and they still have bugs to work out.

Not fully sure how, (because linux ext3fs is a superior filesystem to anything microsoft uses) but microsoft has some sort of monetary gain by not documenting NTFS. In fact, they tried to sue the kernel developers at one point when they got read support fully working.

Slougi

mesman00 said:
what exactly causes the NTFS files to be corrupted? any insight?
The NTFS filesystem is a journaling filesystem, and the journal gets f00ked when writing. You can just wipe the journal afterwards though (I forgot the command, sorry), and it'll work. At least it does on NT4, haven't tried 2k/xp.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well when I get done I will have a Fat32 an NTFS and an ext3fs drive so if I really need to transfer something between Linux and Windows XP I can go through the Windows 98 drive.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Same.

On my mainframe (PII300 120GB HDD) I have linux installed with a 10GB FAT32 partition and the rest is an ext2. If for some reason Samba doesn't feel like working one day I can just boot win95 off the 10GB partition and trade around my files on the windows network :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Malcom: has the kernel dev team figured out how to read encrypted NTFS files yet? (provided you have the password of course)

radTube

lazy bastard
Mandrake 9 actually locks up sometimes when I try to read the NTFS drive my XP is installed on. I have less problems reading another NTFS partition... go figure. No problems at all reading and writing on the FAT32 partitions. I won't even try writing on the NTFS partitions though.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
AlphaWolf said:
Malcom: has the kernel dev team figured out how to read encrypted NTFS files yet? (provided you have the password of course)

Sorry about the late reply (didn't see it :p)

And to be honest I have no idea. I really don't like NTFS, and when ever I have W2k or WXP installed I never put it on a NTFS filesystem. I like FAT32 just fine whn running windows. I don't really have to worry about stabality on the Windwos computers anyways because all my Mommy does is surf the net and use Adobe Photoshop and my sister just word processes.

One day I'm going to install Mandrake on their computers, set up AbiWord, setup GIMP and skin everything to look like their windows counterparts, to see if they notice ofcourse ;)

radTube.::. If you have Windows XP Pro installed there have been reports that MS put in a new things (yes 'thingy') that changes the NTFS filesystem around just enough to dies off when writing/reading to it from anything that isn't Windows.

Bill Gates is very pissy. :S

Last edited:

tooie

the one thing I like about NTSF compared to win32 is that you can have files over 4gb. win32 chockes if your try. Very useful when I am taping tv which can take up a lot of space

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
tooie said:
the one thing I like about NTSF compared to win32 is that you can have files over 4gb. win32 chockes if your try. Very useful when I am taping tv which can take up a lot of space

1) !NTSF; NTFS
2) !win32; FAT32

radTube

lazy bastard
Malcolm said:
radTube.::. If you have Windows XP Pro installed there have been reports that MS put in a new things (yes 'thingy') that changes the NTFS filesystem around just enough to dies off when writing/reading to it from anything that isn't Windows.

Hmm... should I be surprised? I just heard that a Microsoft bigshot (VD or something) recently called the GPL license 'unamerican'.. That really made me respect the company even more (right after I'd finished laughing my ass off :D).

:linux:

BTW XP works much smoother when it's installed on an NTFS partition. I can say this from my own experience. This is no wonder as NTFS is the filesystem NT, 2k and XP were primarily designed to be run on.

PS: I'm almost fed up with having to toy about for hours just to get software to work/compile in Mandrake. Should I go for Gentoo, or would someone like to recommend another distro? And please don't say Redhat. Tried it / hate it.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
radTube said:
Hmm... should I be surprised? I just heard that a Microsoft bigshot (VD or something) recently called the GPL license 'unamerican'.. That really made me respect the company even more (right after I'd finished laughing my ass off :D).

:linux:

BTW XP works much smoother when it's installed on an NTFS partition. I can say this from my own experience. This is no wonder as NTFS is the filesystem NT, 2k and XP were primarily designed to be run on.

PS: I'm almost fed up with having to toy about for hours just to get software to work/compile in Mandrake. Should I go for Gentoo, or would someone like to recommend another distro? And please don't say Redhat. Tried it / hate it.

Debian is a nice distro that has some things similar with Gentoo but isn't as hard to setup. If you want a challenge and you don't mind reading instruction and waiting hours for things to compile go with Gentoo. If you don't mind a non-100% optimized system I'd direct you over to Debian.

:)

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Gentoo is working on getting binary packages set up for most things. Once they do that, the only use I see left in Debian is if you need absolute maximum stability. AFAIK, Gentoo can do everything Debian does, as well as, or better than, Debian.