What's new

boycott intel?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Intel has officialy begun embedding the palladium "fritz" chips to their processors.

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/02/09/10/1514236.shtml?tid=118

For those who don't know, palladium is a way for companies to completely control what you can and can't do with your own computer, and they can trust it against you. In a nutshell, this means that only the big companies can tell you what you can and can't use on your own system, in both software and hardware. Rest assured only microsoft OSes and microsoft approved software will be signed to run on palladium, and in essence microsoft will "own" the PC platform.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

Now many of you relie on microsoft software at this time, so I can see why you couldn't boycott microsoft yet, but you can rid of palladium before it even starts by not buying any DRM enabled hardware, or any future software that depends on it. (BTW, the WMP9 EULA binds you to installing future DRM software updates whenever microsoft releases them.)

The power is in the people, spread the word.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
AMD all the way, I'll NEVER buy another intel cpu again, and when microsoft's palladium BULLSHIT comes out, i'm going to linux. Man, how can a company be so stupid as to eat their own hearts? how will they survive? ROFL! man, i hope M$ goes down, now, to tell the parents to fuck the idea of getting me a p4, AXP baby! :colgate:

iq_132

Banned
This *might* just be for microsoft's little windows media center thingie that's supposedly coming out this fall...
If it's not... ban intel!!!!

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
OMFG... this is insane!!! :(:( "They will be able to sell you CDs that you'll only be able to play three times, or only on your birthday. All sorts of new marketing possibilities will open up." - according to the faq.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
iq_132 said:
This *might* just be for microsoft's little windows media center thingie that's supposedly coming out this fall...
If it's not... ban intel!!!!

Actualy thats a whole other thing, this is what they plan to put in PCs like the one you are using now.

Also, word is microsoft has talked to AMD on this, but no word if AMD is actualy going to do it or not.

iq_132

Banned
I know it's a whole other thing wolfie... I just was dreaming about that being the case :) I can dream can't I? Anyway, Intel needs to seriously rethink this... People don't tend to like things like this at all.

Boycott Intel!!!!

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
I heard this was actually AMD and Microsofts idea, so im off to buy a few hundred xp2600's :D

I wish...

blizz

definately time to buy a new PC though, and when it does happen I can forsee the PC market splitting or "chipped" PC's just like the console market, damm microsoft are foolish for thinking hardware is the way to go because they're software security is so shit

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
I don't think this will ever happen... No one wants it.
The only sad thing is that maybe a few big companies agree with it...

Linux would take over if it happend.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Speaking of linux, word is the kernel dev team has found some way to catch buffer overruns (*shrug* don't ask me how), which is the main thing that microsoft claims they are trying to prevent with palladium.

If you recall a while back, somebody released a security vulnerability where anyone with even only very limited guest access on a windows PC (any version) can easily get full admin access by sending commands to different windows that you can't necessarily see. Microsoft can't fix this vulnerability, at all. Doing so would break compatibility with 90% or so of all of the software out there. If microsoft were to turn around and release a version of windows that had this fixed, they would also have to rewrite the crap out of office, and all third party developers will have to do the some.

From a control standpoint, microsoft can't afford to do this. If they break compatibility on a massive scale, many people/companies will have a big opportunity to switch to other operating systems which already have a lot of software. If you think about it, microsofts future is probably riding on palladium. If your goal is to bring microsoft down, bring palladium down.

Last edited:

icepir8

senerio 1:
A wife comes home from shopping and tells her husban that she bought a dress for $300. He freaks out on her. "What a bad thing she has done."....

senerio 2:
A wife comes home from shopping and tells her husban about a dree that cost $500 that she was going to but instead she bought a dress for $300. He tells her "What a good thing she has done."....

so what is MS really doing?

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
icepir8 said:
senerio 1:
A wife comes home from shopping and tells her husban that she bought a dress for $300. He freaks out on her. "What a bad thing she has done."....

senerio 2:
A wife comes home from shopping and tells her husban about a dree that cost $500 that she was going to but instead she bought a dress for $300. He tells her "What a good thing she has done."....

so what is MS really doing?

I mean no disrespect, but I don't get it. :D

If your refering to my comment about how microsofts future is depending on palladium to succede, then microsofts "crime" is wanting to have control of each individual persons computer, exploiting your privacy, solely in the name of protecting their own interests, not yours. In other words, the only benefit that palladium possibly offers the end user is increased security, but everything else only benefits the companies behind it (namely by eliminating fair use in the name of more $$$), it in no way benefits the end users. In my oppinion, this is only a half assed attempt at securing their own software platform.

Now I am not totaly anti microsoft (remember I am one of the few here who speak positively about the Xbox ;) ), but all I am pointing out is that if your "desire" is to see microsoft gone, (which I know many people here think that way) then ridding of palladium before it ever starts is the way to go.

Last edited:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Just a small note for those who haven't followed this. Microsoft's new security features were announced at a conference both Intel and AMD had representatives attending a while ago, so everyone is supporting this, but according to what I read in this thread Intel seemed to announce actual products prior to AMD?, which I can't explain other than market competition, or maybe AMD wanted to see how Intel managed it, which is a smart move.

Last edited:

Eagle

aka Alshain
I get what hes trying to say, I dont think its true, but here is what he means.

Scenario 2:
M$ annouces all this stuff they are doing for the Pallidium (that has already been announced now) and everybody hates the idea. They think its controlling and completely wrong.

Then M$ says "OK, well since you dont like that idea we will just do [Insert something that people normally wouldnt like here]".

Since the second option is better than the first people will say "Yeah thats much better than the other idea!!!" and M$ would get away with it.

Scenario 1:
However if they just did the second option without mentioning the Pallidium shit, then people would complain about it as well and M$ would not get away with it.

Hes asking if this could be a Microsoft scheme to get by something, less intrusive than what they are suggesting now through hype. I dont think this is the case, but that is what he meant.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Jabo said:
Just a small note for those who haven't followed this. Microsoft's new security features were announced at a conference both Intel and AMD had representatives attending a while ago, so everyone is supporting this, but according to what I read in this thread Intel seemed to announce actual products prior to AMD?, which I can't explain other than market competition, or maybe AMD wanted to see how Intel managed it, which is a smart move.

I dont think thats entirely correct Jabo. With the current information that has been given the OS could completely prevent you from even using WinAmp unless WinAmp was registered with Microsoft. So basically PJ64 would cease to operate cause the OS wouldnt let it run unless you payed M$ to register it, and then they have to allow it so if they think emulation is illegal then your screwed.