What's new

Really weird picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
There not exactly the same, i can see slight differences but its hard to explain.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
mesman00 said:
is this really that easy? i saw it like in 10 seconds

ha! I saw it in 0.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 secs! :geek: :linux:

and eyah it has something to do with the light green and hunter green and red blocks

Clements

I believe this to be a clever optical illusion. The areas of the four individual shapes in the first picture does not add up to the total area of the complete triangle. The grid lines I believe are curved or something. Didn't take me seconds to work that out, just a few minutes and a calculator.

(The area of the individual shapes is 32units^2, whereas the total triangle area of the first picture is 32.5units^2)

Clements

Upon further investigation, the slope is not a straight line, ie. the angles of the two triangles don't match up. This could account for the difference in area between the triangle and its parts. I now think the lines are not curved, because I could reproduce the image in paint:

OP
J

jack

I can assure you, this is no illusion. Every figure you see are congruent and you can test them out if you wish. However, be aware that our current math can't explain these triangles. Irrefuteable theorems like A^2+B^2=C^2 has fail in spite of this problem.

With that said, the discrepancy with this picture is the displacement of that one unit. Its disappearance brings question to the laws of physic, which dictates: matter cannot be made or unmade. Scientist believe that the area inside a blackhole is void and empty? Could this be the mathematic representation of a blackhole in space?

Clements

I can at least say that the two 'triangles' are in fact quadrilaterals (if ignoring the absent square in the second figure), as the angles of the dark green triangle and the angles of the large red triangle are not congruent.

Taking the lower left angle:

Red Triangle: tan^-1 3/8 = 20.55604522
Green Triangle: tan^-1 2/5 = 21.80140949

Which isn't the same.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
I've seen this same thing in different forms before, and that is precisely the answer. :)

Clements said:
I can at least say that the two 'triangles' are in fact quadrilaterals (if ignoring the absent square in the second figure), as the angles of the dark green triangle and the angles of the large red triangle are not congruent.

Taking the lower left angle:

Red Triangle: tan^-1 3/8 = 20.55604522
Green Triangle: tan^-1 2/5 = 21.80140949

Which isn't the same.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
jack said:
Can someone explain this :geek:

Ok I am looking at it as if I can take the triangle apart and move the peices around. The base of the red triangle is longer than the length of the orange and green blocks, but the teal triangles side is as wide as those blocks. If you look at these two triangles, they are not shaped exactly the same. That hole is there because the triangle is (obviously) rearranged, and the resulting shape (again) is not the same, because the hypotenuse sticks out more, filling in the missing space.

Problem solved without using math BS :D

Last edited:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Re: Re: Really weird picture

AlphaWolf said:
Ok I am looking at it as if I can take the triangle apart and move the peices around. The base of the red triangle is longer than the length of the orange and green blocks, but the teal triangles side is as wide as those blocks. If you look at these two triangles, they are not shaped exactly the same. That hole is there because the triangle is (obviously) rearranged, and the resulting shape (again) is not the same, because the hypotenuse sticks out more, filling in the missing space.

exactly how I saw it:happy:

OP
J

jack

Re: Re: Really weird picture

AlphaWolf said:

Wow, so much BS in one paragraph. Not to mention it didn't made sense.

If you even think for a minute that there is a simple answer to this problem, then you obviously haven't advance beyond highschool Algebra. Why don't you go search for something called the " euclidean triangle " and then reply again, genius. :getlost:

Status
Not open for further replies.